UNSC Ordnance Commission
Before and during the Fall of Reach, many of the MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor suits employed saw continual refinement and upgrades as a part of the Ordnance Committee's commitment to rapid spiral development.
This Ordnance Commission, formally dubbed the Damascus Ordnance Commission, was held at the Damascus Materials Testing Facility on Chi Ceti IV in May 2553. This commission event was headed by the major armor defense companies and sponsored by the Office of Naval Intelligence. Companies such as Lethbridge Industrial, Hannibal Weapon Systems, and Acheron Security were all contracted to mass-produce and refine GEN2 armor systems in response to the growing success of the newly-formed Spartan Operations branch of the UNSC Armed Forces.
In response the following things happened:
- The Commission validated the need for specialized, defense-centric armor variants. These would be used for the protection of civilian populations rather than the assault on enemy strongholds.
- Imbrium Machine Complex developed the DEFENDER-class Mjolnir variant, which followed the various strictures of the Commission's rulings but remained an effective combat system. IMC also was given control of oversight and production of the RECON-class Mjolnir variant, refining and improving the existing architecture for SPARTAN-IV use.
- Due to the armor's proven performance, the Commission made an exception for the Mark VI GEN1.
- The Commission approved the exploration by Hannibal Weapon Systems for a Rogue GEN2 variant.
- Due to the cost of the OCEANIC-class Mjolnir variant, its operation requires level-four Ordnance Commission approval.
- Air Assault met all the Ordnance commission strictures for groundside combat.
- Due to the Ankara Field Stricture BL58-0, the ENFORCER-class Mjolnir was approved by the Commission.
- Materials Group was allowed to keep the EVA-class Mjolnir production rights due to their long standing history of investment.
After the roll-out of the first GEN2 Mjolnir systems battle-proven Mk. IV and Mk. V variants were considered for reassessment by the Committee, at the request of veteran Spartan-II and Spartan-III operatives. This resulted in the creation of the INTRUDER, VIGILANT, WRATH, and INDOMITABLE variants of GEN2 Mjolnir armor.
Ordnance Commission approval levels
Several levels exist that help maintain the use of equipment for several risks. A level 4 Ordnance commission approval may be given if piece of equipment is expensive.