War Games Map_Set/: 209-4.
Island, Forerunner memorial
Recommended number of players:
|“||Covenant scripture dictates that structures of this type are memorials to Forerunners who fell in battle against the Flood.||”|
The map is set on a large island on Installation 05 with sandstone formations. It possesses a vast, partially buried Forerunner vessel centered on the island. The Covenant believe that structures of this type are memorials to Forerunners who fell in battle against the Flood.
During the Battle of Installation 05, the surveillance team RECON 127 was deployed from the UNSC In Amber Clad shortly after the frigate arrived at Delta Halo. The detachment’s goal was a large structure buried under one of the installation’s many islands. Upon arrival, they encountered heavy Covenant resistance and their Albatross was shot down. Though the members of RECON 127 did not survive the following ground engagement, they did transmit a series of incredibly compelling scans of the site to In Amber Clad. The details revealed the site - dubbed ‘Relic’- was in actuality the remains of a long-dormant Forerunner vessel that had been carefully hidden below the island over one hundred millennia years ago.
All that remained of RECON 127 was the evidence of the battle on the Island, with RECON 127's Albatross's wreckage and materiels spilling in the wind.
There is a two-way teleporter that can be activated from inside the basement of the building, though the inside Teleporter can be used prior to its activation by jumping, firing a rocket at it, and landing on it -- or, more simply, by crouch jumping.
There is also a Covenant deployable lookout tower, with a Beam Rifle lying at its base. This tower can be toppled using explosive weapons or certain vehicles, such as the Gauss Warthog. Despite this, the tower can be an amazingly helpful tool for such a large map.
There is also a sniper rifle located near the back of the Albatross. Two more fantastic weapons are the energy sword and the shotgun, both of which are located near the center locale of the map, under the Forerunner building. The Rocket Launcher is located by some broken walls on the far side of the island. Control over these weapons generally translates into control over the outcome of the game.
It is, oddly enough, one of the few maps in which the flags in a CTF game mode are not on opposite ends of the map or in any symmetrical pattern. This makes for unusual gameplay.
- Rear Base
- Teleporter Ridge
- Relic's design was based somewhat on the first multiplayer map design for Halo. In this way, it is literally a relic.
- A player who is connection host can use a rocket launcher, an overshield, a black barricade, and a trick similar to the Banshee Launch Wingtip Method to reach the top of the tower, which is an excellent sniping location.
- On Bungie.net, the image files for Relic are in the /dune/ directory, and in the game files, the map is called dune.map, which may indicate that the level was originally called "Dune".
- Avoid using the energy sword to attack someone who has positioned themselves behind the teleporter (when active) inside the structure; doing so will launch you outside of the map and to your death.
- This map is used as the main setting for the machinima Gameplay May Change During Online Play. It has also been used as the main setting for the machinima Lost: Halostyle and, more notably, several times in Red vs Blue, specifically the mini-series "Out Of Mind" and the latter part of Season 10.
- There is an Albatross dropship on the west edge of the island. Another dropship of the same make (and crashed in a similar way) appears in Halo 3's Sandtrap.
- The size and shape of Relic may have been inspired by the Halo PC map Death Island.
- This is the only multiplayer map that has a deployable lookout tower placed in it by default.
- The map originally featured five SOEIVs located across the map from the crashed Albatross, but they were presumably cut; they cannot be found without modding tools. An energy barrier (most likely anti-vehicle) was also cut from the map, but not removed from the map's files.
- Relic was used as the setting for the cover of the Halo 2 Multi-player Map Pack box, as the Forerunner structure can be seen behind the Spartans.
- The spire of the Forerunner structure closely resembles the Citadel in the Half-Life series.
- ^ a b Halo Waypoint - Universe: Delta Halo
- ^ Halo Waypoint - A Thank You to Our Fans from Bonnie Ross
- ^ Halo 2 Instruction Manual - Relic description