Greater Chicago Industrial Zone
From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
|Greater Chicago Industrial Zone|
More than 6-7 million[Note 1]
The Greater Chicago Industrial Zone, alternatively "the Zone" or Chicago, is a human city in the United Republic of North America on Earth. It is located on the shore of Lake Michigan.
The city was the third most populous in the URNA and is considered a major city of Earth.
Formerly a city of the United States of America, the Zone is now a vast urban sprawl covering large parts of what used to be the states of Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana. The Great Lakes Spaceport is located near the city. A UNSC recruiting center existed on the city's older near-north side.
- Industrial Zone 08
- Blackstone Avenue
- Halsted Street
- The Seropian
- Dog and Pony
- Gut Check
- Severe Tire Damage
- Cottage Grove Terminal
By 2542, Chicago was the third most populated city of the United Republic of North America on Earth, after New York City and Los Angeles.
In 2524, Avery Johnson returned to his home of Chicago while on leave.
At some point after 2553, an Outpost Discovery was setup in Chicago.
Government and society
Chicago had its own child services, the Zone Protective Services The city maintained a Maglev train system. It ran along the same elevated system that older trains used to run on. The Zone also had a police force that drove white and blue sedans.
It was home to an AMG Transport Dynamics facility. Acheron Security also had a facility for testing the Tactical Autonomous Robotic Defense System.
Many residents of the city considered themselves American, despite the city not formally being part of the United States.
Architecture and urban design
The city had gray-stone apartments and sidewalks lined with Maple trees.
List of appearances
- Halo: Combat Evolved (First mentioned)
- Halo 2 (First appearance)
- Halo: Contact Harvest
- Halo: Escalation (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Smoke and Shadow
- Halo: Fireteam Raven (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Outpost Discovery (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Point of Light (Mentioned only)
- ^ The fourth most populous city in the URNA, New Phoenix, had around 6-7 million residents prior to the New Phoenix Incident, and Chicago was the third most populous city, even then.
- ^ Halo Waypoint, Universe - Locations, Page 2 (Retrieved on Jun 1, 2020) [archive]
- ^ a b c d Halo: Contact Harvest, page 37
- ^ Halo Encyclopedia (2009 edition), Earth, p. 284-285, (2009); p. 296-297 (2011 edition)
- ^ a b Halo 3: ODST, Asklon cities list poster
- ^ a b Halo: Outpost Discovery, Gabriella terminal, UNSC Form 4026-N
- ^ a b c d e f Halo: Contact Harvest, chapter 2
- ^ a b Halo: Escalation, issue #7
- ^ Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 54
- ^ Halo: Contact Harvest, page 42
- ^ Halo: Contact Harvest, page 45
- ^ Halo 2, multiplayer map Foundation