Circinius IV[note 1] was a Unified Earth Government colony world in the Circinius system. The planet was orbited by at least three natural satellites. It was the location of the Corbulo Academy of Military Science, an officer training school for the offspring of high-ranking UNSC officials. The space elevator located at Corbulo Academy was considered one of the planet's most spectacular sites.
- Main article: Battle of Circinius IV
After the first engagements on Harvest, ONI Section II kept the Covenant invasion secret from the general population. However, Corbulo Academy's superintendent, General Daniel Black, was informed. As preparation for a possible attack, Black discreetly increased the readiness of the UNSC Marine garrison posted in the academy and authorized limited communications blackouts under the guise of routine maintenance procedures.
The colony and the academy were attacked by the Covenant during the earliest days of the Human-Covenant War on April 26, 2526. Orbiting UNSC vessels soon deployed Orbital Drop Shock Troopers directly onto Corbulo Academy's campus. The planet's space elevator was also destroyed, killing many of the escaping cadets as it fell. During the battle, the Covenant killed almost the entire population of the planet. Only four cadets from Corbulo Academy survived the initial assault, although one of them, Chyler Silva, died during the battle. Later, the planet was glassed by the Covenant.
At some point between 2531 and 2552, the UNSC launched Operation: ABLE SENTRY on Circinius IV to investigate Covenant activity on the planet. Directly afterwards, Operation: PHALANX was initiated and carried out by UNSC personnel, including John-117, to rescue civilians on Circinius IV and to investigate Covenant invasion patterns.
Along with Hat Yai, Circinius IV is not mentioned in the Assembly's report on glassed worlds (dated January 1, 2530) in data pad 14 from Halo: Reach. From a real-world perspective, the obvious Doylist explanation is that the planet was created after the game's release, there is no clear in-universe reason for this omission. However, given that both worlds had some form of human population on their surface following their presumed glassing dates, it is possible that both Circinius IV and Hat Yai were not entirely glassed by the Covenant.
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
List of appearances
- Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn (First appearance)
- Halo 4 (Mentioned only)
- Halo 2: Anniversary
- Halo 5: Guardians (Mentioned only)
- Limited Edition (Mentioned only)
- ^ Official material from 343 Industries consistently renders the planet's name as "Circinius-IV". The same naming scheme is used for Draetheus V from Halo: Spartan Assault. However, Halopedia omits the hyphen for the sake of convenience and for consistency with other planetary designations (e.g. Jericho VII and Draco III).
- ^ a b Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, Part 1
- ^ YouTube: Halo Channel Premiere
- ^ Halo Waypoint Forums - Today in Halo
- ^ Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, Episode 3
- ^ Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, Episode 4
- ^ Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, Episode 5
- ^ a b Halo 5: Guardians Limited Edition, Spartan Locke's Classified Orders