From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
Within the armed forces of the Covenant, legions were large administrative groupings of warriors commanded by a high-ranking officer such as a General. They consisted of large combined-arms forces that typically encompassed all of the personnel and materiel deployed into a given region, though for practical reasons warships rated as cruiser or larger generally deployed their forces as multiple legions.
A warrior crèche is a type of legion supposedly staffed by young warriors, though they could still attain considerable distinction in combat. Warrior crèches are carried aboard Covenant fleets should any ground actions be needed.
Legions are a kind of military unit employed within the Banished, and consist of clans awarded particular distinction due to their reputation in conflict. They are led by Chieftains or Warlords granted the title Legionmaster, who are entrusted with increased freedom to operate independently by their war chief, provided they are able to achieve their assigned goals.
List of appearances
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx (First appearance)
- Halo: Cryptum
- Halo: Silentium (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Broken Circle (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Ground Command
- Halo Wars 2
- Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Shadows of Reach
- Halo: Divine Wind
- Halo Infinite
- Spartan Games Forums, Lore questions: "Legions are large 'administrative groupings of warriors under a high-tier officer and expected to be able to operate as a combined-arms force." - Kenneth Peters (Retrieved on Feb 5, 2018) [local archive] [external archive]
- Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual, page 153
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 239
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, chapter 22
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, chapter 38
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 427
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 459