Halopedia talk:Halopedian of the Month/06 2009
From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
- Spirit of Fire - His contribution in Halopedia has been most appreciated: He has performed constructive additions, improve quality and readability of most articles we have in Halopedia and fought vandals alongside the Administration Team.-5ub7ank(7alk) 15:28, 4 May 2009 (UTC)
- Spirit of Fire - As per Subtank, great guy to talk to, great contributor. CoH|Councillor]] Nicmavr - Ascy 'Vamal Light your way with honour! 15:42, 4 May 2009 (UTC)
- Sith Venator - Recently, this Halopedian has shown his real potential. He presented a really great attitude, made constructive edits, rose among the "green" ranks of Halopedia, welcomed and helped new users, made it to the top 5 of the Top Users of the Month and Week, got Rollback (correct me if I'm wrong), and generally, he is a cheerful and simple guy, who really deserves some recognition. - JEA13 [iTalk] 11:18, 5 May 2009 (UTC)
- Sith Venator - Very helpful, kind, and the Weekly Sith Hunt is fairly entertaining - Happyhobo-117 The Guy
- Spirit of Fire - He deserves this many times over. His willingness to work hard plus his rare devotion to Halopedia supports this. —CoH|Councillor]] Kougermasters 14:19, 5 May 2009 (UTC)
- Sith Venator - He's a good halopedian. Pretty helpful too. Vadamee ( Contibutions UserWiki:Vadamee | Profile]] ) 15:29, 5 May 2009 (UTC)
- Spirit of Fire: per last month, which was he is good friend and a hard worker. CoH/Member List#Field Masters|Field]] UoH/Member List#Colonel|Master]] Spartansniper450 16:11, 5 May 2009 (UTC)
Sith Venator- he is really friendly and contributes alot to halopedia--Gubreez 20:44, 5 May 2009 (UTC)
- Not enough article edits.
- Spirit of Fire - As per Subtank and Kougermasters above. -- User:Mechanical-Menace
- Spirit of Fire Ghost sangheili
- Sith Venator -- Administrator Specops306 - Qur'a 'Morhek Honour Light Your Way! 11:10, 6 May 2009 (UTC)
- Spirit of Fire - Yep, that's right - I came out and voted. Rare thing. That's because I do genuinely believe that Spirit of Fire is a great user, and I'm not even officially his "friend"...! The 888th Avatar (Talk) 11:20, 6 May 2009 (UTC)
- Spirit of Fire - Oh jeez I seem to of missed out on nomniating you this time, well as I said before you deserve this regardless, you have worked hard and given this wiki much, I wish you the best mate. Sub-71 18:05, 7 May 2009 (UTC) (Mind you I have voted on the seventh....)
- Sith Venator - Good guy to chat with, good contributions. Both users are friends of mine, so that wasn't really a factor in my vote... Commander DA, Administrator 01:58, 9 May 2009 (UTC)
- Sith Venator - He's contributes a lot to Halopedia and he's a good friend of mine.Snore 02:29, 10 May 2009 (UTC)
- Spirit of Fire - Reliable, helpful, and friendly. ǀτˑɔʘɱɱəŋɗєґ əґыţєґιιб TALK • CONTRIBUTIONS • AWARDS
- Spirit of Fire Sorry other user(s) this was a hard decision! Incendiary 14:25, 11 May 2009 (UTC)
- Sith Venator Vandal fighting, constructively editing and overall, a great guy who doesn't hesitate to assist other users and apply himself in positive ways. Kurt - O51 04:48, 12 May 2009 (UTC)
- Spirit of Fire - As per Subtank. CommanderTony
- Sith Venator - He is a great user. Flood12345 21:33, 27 May 2009 (UTC)
Why are most users who don't vote on votings or comment on blogs considered "green"? Why are friends the only voting criteria in the HotM? I won't "post fingers" this time, but I know a lot of users who are far better that many of the users we believe to be veterans, or at least, "nice contributor, great guy"s.
Last month, I nominated Incendiary, who had made amazing contributions at the time, but without anybody noting it, and so without anybody supporting him. Of course, one of other nominees might deserve it more, but either way, nobody would even think of looking into it. Two months ago, I nominated Arbiter116, for the same reason I nominated Incendiary, but I quickly changed to another pre-nominated nominee because my opinion was influenced by everyone who voted for the more popular users. A great miskate of mine, which won't happen again. Please note here that none of these two users were my friends (at that time), I just voted for them because I looked into their contributions and considered their level of loyalty. Same for the Wavingstrider this month.
Not attending contests or votings doesn't mean less recognition or respect, instead means respect for the user in word for having a personal opinion on it and staying loyal to it. That's all I have to say. -JEA13 [iTalk] 19:31, 4 May 2009 (UTC)
- Firstly, I nominate Spirit of Fire not because of his popularity or because he's a friend (Everyone is my friend!). It is because his contributions since last year have been invaluable and when Halo Wars came out recently, he and a few other users cooperated with each other to help organise and fix articles related to the RTS game. Additionally, he's been nominated before in January (I think..) in the running with Spirit-of-HALO but didn't obtain the HoTM for January. Thus, these facts combined is the reason why I nominate him for this month.
- Secondly, just because Spirit of Fire is nominated doesn't mean that other users are bad or worthless. Please keep in mind that the nominator can only nominate one user only. That said, other users would have a chance to be nominated for next month. What they should do is to contribute constructively and improve the quality of articles extensive and intensively.
- Thirdly, the "popular voting" theory is plausible. The minorities would conform to the majorities choice. It's one of the core of sociology. Your example illustrates this.-5ub7ank(7alk) 19:48, 4 May 2009 (UTC)
- About your second fact: What you said is exactly the same as what I said. There are always users who don't get nominated because nominators choose someone else, but this happens every month. I see users like Kougermasters, Spirit of Fire, Smoke, and most notably Nicvamr (congrats to all of you BTW!), who are nominated almost every month, while other users might deserve it more and could be nominated at their position, but that never happens, most possibly because of their low popularity level. I think I am the only one who nominates users never seen on HotMs before, like Incendiary and Sith Venator. Your point about the nominator being able to nominate one user at a time is right. Problem is, next time they would nominate a user who was nominated one or two months before by another nominator!
- I was only nominated once before last month. Before that I was practically invisible, haha.
- Also, I just noticed this. Maybe for you, it would get boring. I don't do it for recognition. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the recognition, and I've made it clear that I do (I sent a note to Subtank thanking her for posting the HOTM on my message board and my talk page). However, some of you that talk to me on a regular basis here have noticed that I am not big on recognition. Thing is, I'm doing the same things that you all can do. I'm no better a user than you guys are. Everyone has the ability to contribute and do well. I see it as me just doing my part - I have some knowledge and expertise that may be useful to the site here. Might as well share it, right? Nothing really worth recognizing me for. Once again, I do appreciate it; I just wanted to throw this out there. Also, to Spirit of Fire below; thanks for the compliment.
Though this isn't really relevant, I despise the Weekly Sith Hunt. —CoH|Councillor]] Kougermasters 14:19, 5 May 2009 (UTC)
- Cos your work has been invaluable Smoke.. Anyway, I was only nominated three times inside this page, not as many as what Jimmy said would make believe. Spirit of Fire 14:23, 5 May 2009 (UTC)
- What about being nominated two times and winning the second time? A few Halopedians that I can think of bear that honor, though barely any of them got almost a tie in their first nomination. Why is everyone replying to my comment about the Sith Hunt...? So... only two nominees again this time? This should be interesting. —CoH|Councillor]] Kougermasters 00:01, 6 May 2009 (UTC)
- I found being nominated for HOTM much more flattering than actually winning it. The fact that CT had just opened up an RFA also boosted my ego (and perhaps unintentionally my chances of winning), but just the fact that I was respected and liked enough for someone to nominate me was quite a feeling! Ah, simpler days... -- Administrator Specops306 - Qur'a 'Morhek Honour Light Your Way! 11:18, 6 May 2009 (UTC)
I deeply apologize to disturb this conversation, but here comes more evidence to the fact that everyone votes with friends as a criteria.
Did you vote in the HotM? - me.
Never got to it,I will do it now though now that I have more friends that become it. - A good friend of mine.
Did you vote in the HotM? - me (it was a board blast)
I would vote but I don't believe it would be valid since I neither know these users(something I hope to fix) nor have ever engaged in conversation with them(yes, I did read your comment and took your words seriously). - Another friend of mine.
Did you now see that all criteria in HotMs are friends? Why does every nomination and/or vote includes the words "a good friend" on them...?
Spirit of Fire is a great user, and I'm not even officially his "friend"...! - The 888th Avatar
- Okay, let's just face it, JEA. If you are voting on this page, you need to know the user you're voting for. If you don't like the user, then what on Earth are you doing on the page? Of course Halopedian of the Month is to an extent a popularity contest. The people who succeed on "User of the Month" contests on any wiki need to not only be a great contributor, but also be known to the community. We need to be realistic. The 888th Avatar (Talk) 11:44, 6 May 2009 (UTC)
- Don't like the user and don't know the user are two completely different things. When you vote in the elections of your country, do you know the one you voted in-person? You have just heard of his reputation or know about his contribution to your country. We may be a smaller community, but that has nothing to do with it. - JEA13 [iTalk] 11:49, 6 May 2009 (UTC)
- If you don't like the user, you won't come to this page to vote for him/her. If you don't know the user, you won't come either. When you vote in elections, you are informed of what the person is like. Not so here. You have to find out yourself, and the only foolproof way of doing that is interacting with the user in question. By the way, Halopedia is one of the biggest communities on Wikia. 316 users made more than five edits last month, and 22 made more than 100. That's a lot compared to most wikis on Wikia, and puts Halopedia in Wikia's top tier of wikis. The 888th Avatar (Talk) 12:04, 6 May 2009 (UTC)
- Well, It could be just me, but I don't need to interact with a user to know about his personality. I can understand his character by blog posts, popularity, or even grammar, and many other criterias. Of course interacting with someone is the best way, as is knowing about his rep, but trying to find people with low rep, having talked to them or not, is very good and shows everyone that there are more hidden users who can rise up suddenly. Cheers :) JEA13 [iTalk] 12:12, 6 May 2009 (UTC)
- It takes me a while to decide who I will vote for. When I make a decision, I try to be as impartial as I can - being my friend or talking to me on a regular basis will not help your chances. I can tell you right now, I'm looking at someone that hasn't even been brought up here - I don't know the guy, I've never talked to him - hell, I don't even know what type of person he is, but I've seen his work so far, as he's caught my attention quite a few times. He reverts bad edits with speed and makes worthwhile contributions. He has potential.
- I like that Idea,might make users not go inactive.Sith-venator Wavingstrider File:Red Team.jpg|50px]] (Holonet) 14:45, 6 May 2009 (UTC)
It looks like everyone has stopped voting after about 2 weeks again. —Kougermasters 15:16, 13 May 2009 (UTC)
- The majority of the site is probably unaware of this. I know I wasn't aware that this even existed until either you or Nicmavr (I forget which) notified me that I had been nominated.
- It was two of you. Some messages are private. :P
- Could we put a link of it on the main page like the RFAs?Sith-venator Wavingstrider File:Red Team.jpg|20px]] (Holonet) 14:36, 24 May 2009 (UTC)
- There's a link there, but it isn't that obvious.
With only 6 or 7 days left of voting & no one new voting, it seems that SoF is gonna win. -- User:Mechanical-Menace 5-24-o9
- Honestly I'd like to see HotM the way they were in the past.. check those which took place in 2007 for example, most of all there was challenge.. Spirit of Fire 17:58, 26 May 2009 (UTC)
|Halopedian of the Month voting Archive|