105th Shock Troops Division
|105th Shock Troops Division|
Locate, close with and destroy the enemy with fire and maneuver
approx. 15,000-20,000 Marines
- "Jump Feet First into Hell!"
- — Official motto
The 105th Shock Troops Division, also known by the sobriquet "Helljumpers", is a formation of Orbital Drop Shock Troopers of the UNSC Marine Corps. It is highly regarded by many to be one of the best divisions in the UNSC Armed Forces. The division's insignia is a "Gold Comet".
Members of the 105th possess 'exceptional' esprit de corps and immense pride and distinction in their unit, reflected by the customary comet-and-skull tattoo each received. Their motto, "Jump Feet First into Hell!", coupled with their employment of Single Occupant Exoatmospheric Insertion Vehicles, has earned them the nickname "Helljumpers".
The 105th is infamous for its brutality, even toward fellow human troops. On one occasion, ODSTs from the 105th were involved in a fight with the fourteen-year-old Spartan John-117, resulting in three ODST deaths and one severe injury.
The 105th were first deployed against the Covenant during the Battle of Hat Yai in late 2528 or early 2529. Though the ODSTs sustained fairly light losses, the planet was glassed. Elements of the 105th later participated in the Battle of Arcadia, and the Battle of the Etran Harborage.[verification needed] In 2535, a small detachment of the 105th, assigned to the UNSC Midsummer Night foiled a Covenant attempt to deceive the citizens of the Rubble during the Battle of Metisette. In 2547, an element of the 105th Division took part in the Battle of Skopje, defending a major ship construction firm from Covenant attack.
In January 2552, a unit of the 105th was deployed to Ariel to enact Operation: FIRESIDE. Ultimately, the Covenant were prevented from accessing the Knowing, a Forerunner artificial intelligence beneath the colony.
During the Fall of Reach in summer 2552, several elements of the 105th were deployed across the planet, though they were unable to stop the Covenant onslaught. In September, subordinate units of the 105th stationed on the UNSC Pillar of Autumn, having survived the disaster at Reach, fought in the Battle of Installation 04. These ODSTs were instrumental in frustrating Covenant attempts to purge the Halo of humans. Later that month, 105th Division ODSTs attached to the 26th Marine Expeditionary Force were almost completely annihilated during the Battle of New Jerusalem.
Elements of the 105th Division's 7th Battalion were stationed on the UNSC In Amber Clad and participated in the Battle of Earth and later the Battle of Installation 05. Another unit of the 105th, which was stationed on the UNSC Forward Unto Dawn, participated in the Battle of Installation 00, the last battle of the Human-Covenant War.
- 2nd Shock Troops Battalion
- 7th Shock Troops Battalion
- 9th Shock Troops Battalion
- 10th Shock Troops Battalion
- 11th Shock Troops Battalion
- 19th Shock Troops Battalion
- 22nd Shock Troops Battalion
- The 105th Division should not be confused with the 105th Drop Jet Platoon, which may have been similar to the ODSTs, albeit operating on a smaller scale.
- The number 105 is divisible by 7, possibly making it one of Bungie's many 7 references.
List of appearances
- ^ Halo Encyclopedia, page 59 (2011)
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, pages 65-67
- ^ a b Halo: The Flood
- ^ Halo: The Flood, page 36
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach
- ^ a b c Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe, Dirt
- ^ Halo Wars
- ^ Halo: The Cole Protocol
- ^ Halo Legends: The Babysitter
- ^ Halo: Helljumper
- ^ Halo: Combat Evolved
- ^ Halo 3: ODST
- ^ Halo 2
- ^ Halo 3