The MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/B variant refers to two distinct sub-models of MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor, created for the Mark IV and Mark V generations. The latter iteration of the [B] variant served as the initial production model of the Mark V MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor.
With its physical architecture is derived from the Mark IV(b), the Mark V[B] was the first mainline model of the MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor to incorporate energy shielding technology. The Mark V[B] is largely similar to the final version of the Mark V. The only major difference between the two is the [B] variant's lack of an accompanying upgrade to the wearer's neural lace enabling the wearer to interface with a smart AI. This did not come to fruition until John-117 and Cortana successfully tested the final Mark V on August 29, 2552.
Along with the Security and Rogue variants, the Mark V[B] was designed and manufactured by private organizations hired by the UNSC rather than developed by the Materials Group due to numerous problems with funding.
The Mark IV(b)'s first known use was by Fred-104 during the Battle of Circinius IV on April 26, 2526. The Mark V[B] entered service with the Spartan-IIs and select Spartan-IIIs on November 24, 2551. The Mark V[B] helmet's only adopter was SPECWAR Group Three. Mark V[B] was the standard Mjolnir variant issued to Spartans assigned to SPECWAR Group Three, including NOBLE Team. While most members of NOBLE Team modified their Mark V[B] suits to varying extents, Thom-A293 wore a full, unaltered set of Mark V[B] armor. Thom's replacement, SPARTAN-B312, also wore a largely unaltered set of Mark V[B] armor.
Because the Mark V[B] helmet was not used outside SPECWAR Group Three, the standard helmet worn with the Mark V[B] was instead based on the architecture of the original Mark IV model. This would later be used as the basis of the final iteration of the Mark V helmet.
The Mark V[B] is the default suit of armor in Halo: Reach. The second generation of the Mark V is seen in Halo: Combat Evolved. The helmet is the only component of the set that can be specifically selected in the armory.
The Mk.V[B] helmet is one of several 'privatized' variants of previously classified war material.
Base Price: N/A (Default)
- Description: Entered service in 2551; UNICOM/ SPECWAR/ GroupTHREE has been the sole adopter.
UA Price: 750 cR, Recruit
- Description: Up-armored variant of the base Mk.V[B] pattern helmet.
UA/HUL Price: 1,500 cR, Corporal
- Description: Up-armored variant with hardened uplink module for MILINT acquisition.
This helmet is the starting helmet for all players, and is purchased and equipped by default. Currently, there are two upgrades available for the Mark V[B] helmet; the UA (up-armored) upgrade for 750 cR (This is a combination of both of the Beta upgrades); and the UA/HUL, for 1500 cR, which adds an External Hardened Uplink to the right side of the helmet, redesigned from the Beta.
|Browse more images on this article's gallery page.|
- In the Halo: Reach Multiplayer Beta, there were two upgrades available for the Mark V[B] helmet. An External Command Network Module or "CNM", standard issue to Special Forces unit commanders (1000 cR), and an External Hardened Uplink or "HUL", required for sensitive operations (5000 cR). The CNM and HUL attachments as seen in the Beta were merged into a single attachment, the UA upgrade, for the final game. The HUL is now an additional camera/sensor-like attachment on the side of the helmet, rather than being located on the top.
- While both the Mark V[B] and FJ/PARA shoulder pauldrons were present in the Halo: Reach Multiplayer Beta, the Mark V[B] shoulders were changed to the FJ/PARA variant in the final game. In the final version of the game the Mark V[B] has no shoulder pauldron permutations.
- In the marketing campaign for Halo: Reach, an exclusive armor piece would be given to players who preordered the game. During this time the armor piece was known as the "UA/Multi-Threat Mark V[B]." Any relation of this armor piece to the Mark V [B] is absent in the game.
- Fred-104's Mark IV(b) helmet in Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn is actually a redress of Thom-A293's Mark V[B] helmet from Deliver Hope.
SPARTAN-B312 wearing a default Mark V[B] suit.
Up-armored Mark V[B] worn by Thom-A293.
The Mark V[B] shoulder plate as seen in Halo: Reach Beta Armory. Note that the pauldron is a part of the FJ/PARA variant in the final game.
List of appearances
- Deliver Hope (First appearance)
- Halo: Reach
- Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn
- Halo 4 (Forge spawn hologram only)
- Halo 2: Anniversary (Forge spawn hologram only)
- Halo 5: Guardians (Forge spawn hologram only)
- Halo: Ground Command
- ^ Halo Waypoint - Universe: Frederic-104
- ^ a b c d Halo Encyclopedia - Page 94 (2011 edition)
- ^ Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn
- ^ a b c Halo: Reach - Armory description
- ^ Remember Reach - Deliver Hope
- ^ SWORD Base surveillance still of NOBLE Team
- ^ a b Halo: The Essential Visual Guide - Page 119
- ^ Halo: Reach Multiplayer Beta - Armory description