- "WINTER CONTINGENCY has been declared. All units are mobilized and ready."
- — UNSC operator
WINTER CONTINGENCY is an official United Nations Space Command emergency plan that deals with situations where Covenant forces have become aware of, or are present at, a human colony world. It was first mentioned in the UNSCDF Instruction EM-277 on March 10, 2526. On Reach, WINTER CONTINGENCY was supplemented by the WINTER CONTINGENCY Declaration Supplemental Orders, a series of additional directives for ONI agents.
Events which may be classified as WINTER CONTINGENCY include:
- Intercepted Covenant communications that refer to a UNSC colony by name.
- Discovery of hard physical evidence of Covenant activity.
- Abandoned or discarded matériel.
- Residue and/or damage consistent with directed energy weapon usage.
- Detection of multiple in-system slipstream space rupture events.
- Engaged in combat by Covenant forces.
WINTER CONTINGENCY holds the highest precedence in the OPREP-Γ reporting structure. All other reporting terms such as GOOSE CHASE, SNAKE PIT, and others, while very important, are considered secondary to a WINTER CONTINGENCY report.
List of appearances
- Halo: The Fall of Reach
- Adjunct (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Reach (First appearance)
- Halo: Fleet Battles (Mentioned only)
- Halo Mythos (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Reach Announcement Trailer
- Bungie.net: CAA FACTBOOK/UNSC Operational Reports-Γ
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (2010), Bonus Content
- Halo: Reach, campaign level, Tip of the Spear