Under Cover of Night
From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
|Under Cover of Night|
Under Cover of Night is the tenth track in Halo: Original Soundtrack.
The music consists of a slow synth melody with a more complicated bass line interweaved. The melody continues with a variation before entering a bridge to the original melody. There are no drums in the music until the initial melody enters, before which the bass provides the rhythm. After the equalized drum beat is added, occasional chants can be heard. The piece ends with a drum solo.
The track can be heard:
- In the level The Truth and Reconciliation, when John-117 and Fire Team Charlie make their way around the ridge after the first combat encounter.
- In the level Two Betrayals, when John-117 arrives at the final canyon.
- In its original form in Halo Legends short film Homecoming, when Daisy-023 discovers her flash-clone.
It was arranged into the following:
- In Amber Clad in Halo 2: Original Soundtrack as an inspired piece.
- Wage of Delta Halo Suite in Halo 2: Original Soundtrack as a background melody, which was then arranged into Delta Halo Suite in the Halo Legends: Original Soundtrack as well as the second section of Arise In Valor in Halo 2 Anniversary Original Soundtrack.
- Underestimated of To Kill a Demon in Halo 3: Original Soundtrack.
- Beginning section of Follow our Brothers in Halo 3: Original Soundtrack.
- Beginning section of Halo Reborn in Halo 3: Original Soundtrack.
- Beginning section of Greatest Journey in Halo 3: Original Soundtrack.
- Cloaked in Blackness in Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary Original Soundtrack.
- Under Cover in Halo Infinite Original Soundtrack.
- The piece was primarily written by Martin O'Donnell with additions from Michael Salvatori. O'Donnell first developed the opening chord progression with the piece being a "mood groove" in mind. O'Donnell sang vocal improvisation while listening to the track, then selected and added reverb to the sections he liked.
- The soundtrack appeared as an Easter egg in Halo 3 on the multiplayer map High Ground. It is sometimes heard playing from the radio at the large base.
- Under Cover of Night and its versions have almost always appeared in relation to a Keyes. The Halo: Combat Evolved appearances appear near a mention or focus of Captain Keyes. Every post-Combat Evolved appearance directly features Miranda, or invokes her (In Amber Clad). In Homecoming, the music plays in a scene where Miranda's mother appears.
- YouTube - The Act Man, A LEGENDARY Interview With Marty O' Donnell (Composer From Bungie, Halo, Destiny) (Retrieved on May 19, 2020)
- YouTube - Martin O'Donnell, Halo Music Inception: Under Cover of Night (Retrieved on Aug 22, 2021) [archive]