From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
M6 series pistols, the weapons that fire this ammo, are noted to possess impressive range and stopping power due to its use. As with many UNSC small arms ammunition types, however, the round has been observed to be somewhat inefficient against energy shielding. There exists a distinct lack of variety in ammunition types of this cartridge available to soldiers in the field, something that the UNSC marines of E2-BAG/1/7 found strange given its high caliber.
M225 12.7×40mm SAP-HE (semi-armor-piercing, high-explosive) ammo (also known simply as "SAPHE") is the standard-issue round for the M6-series. The rounds are nickel-plated, and are frequently distributed under the designation "M225 12.7×40mm SAP-HP" in 60-round packs.[Note 2] It was noted to have made the weapon that fired it almost as effective as an assault rifle. Its physical effects against vulnerable targets can be brutal, particularly when the projectile impacts the target's skull, making headshot-targeting with weapons firing this ammo an advisable tactic in combat with Covenant troops, who often possess resilient biology. This ammo type is fed into M6 series handguns via 6-, 8-, or 12-round detachable box magazines.
An M225 ammo-pack in Halo: Combat Evolved
M225 ammo pack in Halo 2: Anniversary.
An M225 ammo pack in Halo 3: ODST.
List of appearances
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (First appearance)
- Halo: Combat Evolved
- Halo: The Flood
- Halo: First Strike
- Halo 2
- Halo 3
- Halo: Evolutions
- Halo: Reach
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
- Halo 4
- Halo: Spartan Assault
- Halo: Initiation
- Halo: Escalation
- Halo 2: Anniversary
- Halo 5: Guardians
- Halo: Silent Storm
- Halo: Divine Wind
- The illustration of the 12.7×40mm round here features both the erroneous dimensions of and designation "12.7x30mm". This is a common theme from sources of this period relating to the round, but has been overridden by more recent sources such as the Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual, Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide, and the Halo Waypoint article on the Magnum. This image should not be taken as a reliable source, but remains broadly relevant.
- Throughout the Halo games, packs of ammunition for the M6-series handguns are labelled under this designation. This page lists this designation as one related specifically to packaging, because there is no source that actually links it to an existent ammo type. However, it is possible that it is an alternate designation for SAP-HE ammunition itself, or potentially that it is even its own ammunition type that for reasons unknown shares its alphanumerical designation with the standard SAP-HE round. Due to the lack of mention of any SAP-HP ammo outside the in-game ammo packs, however, it is probable that this is an art error that has managed to transcend from one game to the next and persist over time. Due to the sheer number of re occurrences however, this is been debated.
- Halo: Silent Storm, Chapter 3
- Halo: Official Spartan Field Manual, Page 186
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, "Library" feature, "Pistol"
- Halo: The Flood, Chapter 2
- Bungie.net, The M6G Pistol (Retrieved on Jan 24, 2021) [local archive] [external archive]
- Halo 3: ODST Field Guide, Ordnance, "AUTO MAG"
- Halo 3, Magnum ammo pack
- Halo: Combat Evolved, Pistol ammo pack
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Pistol ammo pack
- Halo 2, Magnum ammo pack
- Halo 2: Anniversary, Magnum ammo pack
- Halo: Silent Storm, Chapter 15
- Halo: Silent Storm, Chapter 3
- Halo: The Flood, Chapter 1
- Halo: CE manual, Page 17, "M6D Pistol"
- Halo Encyclopedia: The Definitive Guide to the Halo Universe (2011 edition), Page 321
- Halo: Combat Evolved, Gameplay