|Political and military information|
- "Give her credit: Gretchen was as tough a Marine as you ever saw."
- — Romeo discussing Gretchen
Prior to 2552, Gretchen served in the same unit as Dutch and his friend Kojo "Romeo" Agu. At some point, she and Dutch developed a romantic relationship and later married. Gretchen enjoyed fighting, to the extent that she actually laughed in the midst of combat. However, her outlook changed when she stepped on an Insurrectionist landmine during a mission; her left leg was blown off by the resulting explosion.
Before the Battle of Ariel in January 2552, she was still confined planetside because of her injury. She sent a message to Dutch, in which she informed him that there was an open position in a motor pool, and suggested that he should accept it. By October 2552, though she was looking forward to return to active service, the doctors predicted she would be confined to non-combat duties for the rest of her career. However, by 2553, she eventually retired from service. After a friend and squadmate of Dutch's died during a rebellion on Draco III in 2554, Dutch retired from service to be with Gretchen. The two continued to contact their old squadmates and friends after their retirement, including Edward Buck. Later, she, along with Dutch, reenlisted by joining the SPARTAN-IV program.
- Her blood type is A-.
- Ketola's surname suggests she may be of Finnish ancestry.
Dutch's memory of Gretchen, viewed through a neural marker.
List of appearances
- Halo: Helljumper (First appearance)
- Halo 3: ODST Pre-mission Evaluation
- Halo: New Blood (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Bad Blood
- ^ Halo: Bad Blood
- ^ a b Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 53
- ^ a b c Halo: Helljumper, Issue 1
- ^ a b Halo 3: ODST Pre-mission Evaluation - Dutch Interview
- ^ Halo: New Blood, page 99
- ^ Halo: New Blood, page 149