Green Hills was a human Outer Colony of the Unified Earth Government. Along with Second Base, Green Hills was one of two human colonies to be glassed by the Covenant almost immediately after Harvest in the Human-Covenant War.[note 1] Initially, the United Nations Space Command hoped to cover up the loss by implicating rebels causing communications blackouts. However, they were soon forced to reveal that the UNSC was now at war with a xenocidal alien empire; the Covenant had killed two million civilians by glassing Green Hills and Second Base.
Spartan John-117 fought alongside an unidentified Orbital Drop Shock Trooper on Green Hills. The two were briefly reunited in 2557 during the Battle of Requiem, the former Marine having since become a Spartan-IV.
List of appearances
- Halo Wars: Genesis (First appearance)
- Halo: Reach
- Data pads (Mentioned only)
- Halo 4 (Mentioned only)
- Halo Mythos (Mentioned only)
- ^ Randomized NPC dialog in the Halo 4 level Shutdown states that the UNSC fought for Green Hills in 2527. This contradicts Halo: Wars Genesis and Halo: Reach's data pads, which indicate that Green Hills and Second Base were the second and third colonies to be glassed. This is probably a simple continuity error, though it is possible that the UNSC returned to the planet in an attempt to reclaim it following the precedent of the Harvest campaign.
- ^ Halo Mythos, page 54
- ^ Halo Wars: Genesis
- ^ Halo 4, campaign level, Shutdown (Spartan-IV banter: "I fought with you on Green Hills back in '27. I was just an ODST back then.")