The M312 Heavy Recovery Vehicle, commonly referred as the Elephant, is a UNSC Mobile Assault, Support, and Recovery Platform. The vehicle is used primarily as an armored mobile recovery vehicle and has seen action most noticeably in the Human-Covenant War.
Designed and manufactured by JOTUN Heavy Industries, the Elephants were initially used in the utility and farming industries during the early colonial expansion periods. After several decades serving in the civilian market, JOTUN was contracted by the UNSC to develop the Elephants and build them as armored repair and recovery vehicles. As time has progressed, the Elephant has been modified into several variants and upgrades, though the Elephant's versatility remain unchanged.
The M312 Elephant is designed to safely transport troops, equipment and light vehicles to and from the battlefield. In one occasion, it was able to pull an entire Shaw-Fujikawa Translight Engine by itself. The M312 also features a protected rear bay, providing more protection to its onboard personnel and equipments. The vehicle is fitted with three M41 Light Anti-Aircraft Gun as its primary defense/offense weapons system and can be equipped with an overhead M247 light autocannon.
When the UNSC Spirit of Fire arrived in Shield World 0459 in pursuit of the Covenant Arbiter Ripa 'Moramee, who captured Ellen Anders, the UNSC forces onboard utilized three of the M312 HRV to perform reconnaissance on the world's surface. Two of these were captured by the Flood, but were rescued under the leadership of Sergeant John Forge and Spartan-II Red Team. These three M312s provided support in the battles on Shield 0459's surface. When the UNSC forces were recalled to the Spirit, Bravo Platoon was accompanied by an M312 HRV. When the Spirit's crew planned to trigger Shield 0459's artificial sun into a supernova, they used an M312 to pull a Shaw-Fujikawa Translight Engine to the artificial sun.
- Recon Team Lima - Commanded by Sergeant Forge in 2531, took part in the Battle of Shield 0459.
- Recon Team India - Accompanied Lima onto the surface of Shield 0459, before being captured by the Flood and rescued by Forge and Red Team.
- Recon Team Echo - Accompanied Lima onto the surface of Shield 0459, before being captured by the Flood and rescued by Forge and Red Team.
The Elephant appears in Halo Wars as an armored personnel carrier and mobile infantry barracks, capable of creating troops in the field and/or deploying them while defending itself. To operate as a barracks, the vehicle must first deploy. This unit can only be used when the player chooses Captain Cutter as their Leader Character in online play or skirmish.
- Costs: 400 Resource units and requires two Population Cap and zero energy units
- Capable of training Spartan-IIs and other infantry.
- "'Twin Engine": Increases the Elephant's speed by about 30%.
- "Defense Turret": Adds a M247 GPMGT Autocannon defending the Elephant in deploy mode.
- "Ceramic Armor": The Elephant can now take 25% more damage.
- The Elephant's name is in keeping with the UNSC's tradition of naming most ground-based vehicles after terrestrial animals.
List of appearances
- ^ a b c d Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 55
- ^ Halo Wars
- ^ a b Halo Wars, campaign level Reactor
- ^ a b c Halo Wars, campaign level Anders' Signal
- ^ Halo Wars, campaign level The Flood
- ^ Halo Wars, campaign level Shield World
- ^ Halo: Spartan Strike
- ^ Halo: Spartan Assault