|There is more information available on this subject at Tobacco on the English Wikipedia.|
Tobacco is a human agricultural product processed from the leaves of plants in the genus Nicotiana. Tobacco remains an important commercial commodity in the 26th century and is commercially available in dried, cured, and natural forms. Its most common usage is for smoking in the form of cigars, cigarrettes, and pipes. Tobacco gum, a chewing substance used as an alternative to smoked tobacco, is also commonplace.
With cancer and other health issues easy to treat in the 26th century, tobacco has been rendered less threatening.
A cigar is a tightly-rolled bundle of dried and fermented tobacco which is ignited so that its smoke may be drawn into the smoker's mouth. In the 26th century, the Sweet William cigar is a luxury brand popular among humans. They are especially enjoyed by numerous members of the UNSC, like Avery Johnson.
Cigarettes are another tobacco product. Like cigars, humans have smoked cigarettes for centuries.
26th century cigarettes are protected from moisture damage by waterproof seals. Some cigarettes have "ignition ends" which light the cigarette by tapping its end, thus eliminating the need for external flammable implements; these cigarettes are popular among the Orbital Drop Shock Troopers. Cigarettes requiring traditional means of ignition are also available. The UNSC issues cigarette consumption ordinances.
Tobacco gum is a type of a chewing substance that is commonly used as an alternative to cigarettes. It is considered contraband within the UNSC. Nonetheless, tobacco gum is popular among UNSC aviators. The substance may be similar in concept to chewing tobacco.
- Captain Jacob Keyes was an avid pipe smoker, always keeping a pipe on his person.
- Sergeant Major Avery Johnson smoked Sweet William cigars.
- Captain Ponder smoked Sweet William cigars.
- Senior Chief Petty Officer Franklin Mendez smokes Sweet William cigars.
- Colonel Robert Watts enjoyed smoking Sweet William cigars, which led to his capture when a team of Spartan-IIs used the cigars to find his residence.
- Peter Bonifacio enjoyed Sweet William cigars, so greatly to the point that he had them smuggled in on his ship, the Kestrel.
- General Daniel Black smoked cigars.
- Corporal Harland smoked cigarettes.
- Mike Spenser is an avid cigarette smoker. The fingertips of his right-hand are stained with nicotine.
- Ngoc Benti smoked cigarettes.
- Private Walker smoked cigarettes.
- Stephen smoked cigarettes.
- Sergeant Laura "Smokes" Tanner is a fond chewer of tobacco gum.
Jacob Keyes smoking with his pipe.
A pack of Sweet William cigars in Halo 2: Anniversary.
A young Johnson on Harvest with a cigar in his mouth.
Avery Johnson with a cigar in his mouth in Halo 3.
Johnson smoking a cigar in Halo Wars 2.
Chief Mendez in the Sarcophagus with a cigar in his mouth.
List of appearances
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 204
- Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe, "Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian", page 81
- Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 168
- Halo: First Strike, page 115: They flared like the "strike-anywhere" matches the ODSTs used to light their contraband cigarettes.
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 204