|Halopedia has a walkthrough guide to this level, The Package (level). See The Package (level)/Walkthrough.|
|“||Your orders are to destroy Sword Base... Or are they?||”|
The level begins on August 29, 2552. It takes place around the destroyed Sword Base, as well as in an interior cavern underneath the facility. Noble Team is ordered to destroy Sword Base in a torch-and-burn op. Noble Six and a small strike force of Orbital Drop Shock Troopers infiltrates Sword Base to take out Covenant anti-air turrets. On their way to the facility, the team finds an operational Scorpion tank that they use to fight through Covenant forces around Sword Base. Meanwhile, the Falcons carrying the rest of Noble Team land at Sword Base and begin the assault.
Noble Six arrives at Sword Base, and the entire team pushes through to a set of prearranged coordinates. However, there is nothing there. Auntie Dot receives a set of revised coordinates from an AI of unknown origin, and a hidden door slides back to reveal an excavation tunnel. Noble Team rides a cart down the tunnel, where they find a large cavern housing a massive Forerunner vessel embedded in the ice. On the way down, Dr. Halsey reveals herself as the one who orchestrated their arrival. She asks for their assistance in defending her lab while she decrypts final information from the crashed Forerunner ship.
Noble Team uses Wolf Spider turrets to defend the lab as the Covenant begin their attack. They engage in an open firefight against incoming waves of Covenant and after a period of time, Dr. Halsey opens the doors to the lab. Noble Team walks into the lab, revealing a large, glowing Forerunner artifact in the center. Dr. Halsey tells them about a great discovery that could change the tide of the war, and stresses that it is imperative that they get the information off-planet. She then shows them Cortana, who is revealed to be the AI that sent them the revised coordinates. She stores Cortana in an armored matrix and gives it to Noble Six, whom Cortana has chosen.
Jun leaves to escort Halsey to CASTLE Base, while the rest of Noble Team gets into a Pelican to fly to the UNSC Pillar of Autumn that is awaiting their arrival. As they depart, a large underground explosion destroys Sword Base, denying the Covenant access to whatever remains.
Sword Base, Babd Catha Ice Shelf, Eposz
August 29, 2552 26:16 Hours
Fades in to the burnt and destroyed landscape outside Sword Base. A Falcon flies overhead as Noble Six walks out from a small hill. Six walks down the rocky terrain.
- Carter-A259 (COM): "...Go ahead."
- Colonel Holland (COM): "We need that base taken out, son. What's your status?"
- Carter-A259 (COM): "Still outside. Thermal on the interior shows standing-room-only. We're gonna have to thin 'em out or we'll be way too popular."
- Colonel Holland (COM): "Copy that, Noble One. Holland out."
Six jumps out and lands beside three ODSTs.
- Carter-A259 (COM): "We've got a job to do, so let's stay focused and get it done. Six, are you in position?"
- SPARTAN-B312: "Affirmative."
- Carter-A259 (COM): "Good. Execute."
Six signals the ODSTs and they move out.
Torch and Burn
- Carter-A259 (COM): "Covenant own this sector now. They are defending for a full major strike, not a small-group infiltration. Eliminate all hostile ground air-defense so the rest of Noble can land at Sword Base for the torch-and-burn. Keep a low profile - we'll take them by surprise, this will be a hell lot easier."
- ODST #1: Spartan, we'll follow you."
The team moves down to the flooded Farragut Station in front of a Covenant outpost, comprising of a deployable lookout tower, Shades, a few Ghosts, and a group of infantry. While approaching the outpost, the team comes across the wreckage of a Falcon.
- ODST #1: "Falcon down. Watch for bodies."
The team attacks the outpost and clears the immediate area.
- ODST #2: "Structure's cleared, Lieutenant."
- Emile-A239 (COM): "Kat was right. Does seem like overkill... Sending us back here for a simple demo-op?"
- Emile-A239 (COM): "Tells me things ain't so simple."
Up ahead, they come across another deployable lookout tower and a Scorpion hidden from it.
- ODST #3: "Looks like we have a Scorpion still operational, sir."
or, if the ODSTs are dead or too far behind Six:
- Carter-A259 (COM): "Might be a Scorpion still operational, Six. Check it out."
Noble Six commandeers the tank. More towers and Ghosts block the way, but are easily eliminated by the Scorpion's superior firepower.
- ODST #2: "Ready to hit that anti-air whenever you are, Lieutenant."
The team clears the area.
- ODST #2: "Area secure."
- ODST #3: "Tangos neutralized."
- Carter-A259 (COM): "Get a move on, Noble Six. Our Falcons are standing by."
The teams finally reach Airview Base, now the dwelling of two Covenant Tyrants defended by Covenant troops, Ghosts and Banshees. Hot magma and rough terrain have replaced the airfield under the base. An aerial battle between Banshees and Falcons rages above.
- ODST #1: "AA guns dead ahead, Lieutenant."
- Carter-A259 (COM): "Time to get to work, Noble Six. Take out those guns!"
Noble Six destroys the first AA gun.
- Carter-A259 (COM): "First target neutralized. Falcons, stand-by."
Six destroys the second anti-air gun.
- Carter-A259 (COM): "Nice job, Six. Falcons, commence descent. See you inside the base, Lieutenant."
- ODST #2: "Let's give 'em hell, Spartan!"
- ODST #3: "They sure gave it to Reach..."
Several Falcons, one piloted by Carter, fly over Six and towards Sword Base. Six continues to Sword Base's gate.
- Carter-A259 (COM): "Noble Team: Falcon group has landed, hostiles engaged. Jun is working on getting the gate open."
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Really missing Kat right about now..."
Six gets to Sword Base's gate area, which is defended by Covenant turrets and vehicles.
- Jun-A266 (COM): "Got it. Gate's open, boss."
- Carter-A259 (COM): "Six, get over here! Covies all over the base."
Six gets out of the Scorpion and heads for the gate.
- Emile-A239 (COM): "Tangos, coming from the pad!"
- Jun-A266 (COM): "And the garage!"
- Carter-A259 (COM): "Double time it, Six, come on!"
If Six stalls at the gate:
- Carter-A259 (COM): "Noble Six, get inside the base!"
Six finally arrives at Sword Base's courtyard. The rest of Noble Team are seen fighting Covenant troops.
- Emile-A239: "Just in time, Six."
- Carter-A259: "Kill 'em all, Noble!"
Noble Team finish off the Covenant in the courtyard. They enter the base and clear out the entrance. Noble Team heads to a door at the end of the parking lot.
- Carter-A259: "Have to go through maintenance. Elevator's out."
- Emile-A239: "The way this place has been done? We're lucky anything still works."
- Carter-A259: "Six, take point."
Noble Team enters the maintenance hall and climb up a series of catwalks, engaging some Kig-yar on the way. They finally arrive at the top and enter the security checkpoint, which has been severely damaged.
- Jun-A266: "Where are we going now, boss?"
- Carter-A259: "Dot?"
- Auntie Dot (COM): "Please proceed to the prearranged coordinates.”
- Emile-A239: "Cryptic..."
- Auntie Dot (COM): "You know as much as I do, Noble Four."
A door opens, and the team continues into Sword Base's main atrium.
- Auntie Dot (COM): "Coordinates nearby, Commander."
- Carter-A259: "We're close. Up the ramp, and to the right!"
The team eliminates several SpecOps Sangheili and a General guarding the atrium (along with an Engineer on higher difficulties). The team continues to the coordinates. They come across a door with the ONI emblem on it.
- Carter-A259: "This is it. In here!"
Six opens the door.
Noble Team enters a corridor littered with dead bodies and destroyed equipment. An unmanned turret stands behind some sandbags.
- Jun-A266: "Looks like they got themselves cornered."
- Carter-A259: "Or were committed to the position."
Emile continues through the corridor, but it's a dead end.
- Emile-A239: "I'm going with cornered. There's nothing here."
- Jun-A266: "No load-bearing columns, either... Sir, if we're supposed to blow this place, this ain't the spot to do it from."
Carter holsters his Assault Rifle and accesses his TACPAD, annoyed.
- Carter-A259: "Dot, check your vector."
- Auntie Dot (COM): "Vector confirmed. Commander, we are precisely where ONI has directed-"
- Auntie Dot (COM): "Apologies. Coordinates revised. Please confirm?"
- Carter-A259: "Revised...?"
- Auntie Dot (COM): "By an AI of unknown origin. Whose clearance is well above my own."
- Jun-A266: "Well, it's pointing us a click and a half east and two thousand feet underground."
- Emile-A239: (sarcastically) "And I didn't bring my shovel, Commander."
- Jun-A266: "Sir, I say we go AI-free on this one. Obviously, these coordinates are junk, and the longer we go chasing them-"
A sudden grinding noise cuts Jun off. Everyone raises their weapons. A wall in the dead end opens, revealing a secret passage. Emile stands in front of it, securing the way ahead.
- Carter-A259: "What is this, Dot?"
- Auntie Dot (COM): "Our revised route, Commander."
- Carter-A259: "Alright, we came this far."
Carter signals Jun to take point, and the rest of the team follows him into the hidden corridor as the hidden door slides shut. The team continues down the tunnel and finds a tram. View turns to a security camera watching Noble Team entering the tram.
- Carter-A259: "Your new AI friend tell you anything else, Dot? ...Dot?"
- Auntie Dot (COM): "She's been expecting you."
The tram door closes.
- Emile-A239: "That's perfect..."
The view switches to a camera inside the tram as it starts to move. Dr. Catherine Halsey appears on a holographic viewscreen.
- Dr. Halsey (Video COM): "Apologies for the unusual security measures, Commander, but the stakes demand it."
- Carter-A259: "Dr. Halsey. Casualty reports have you listed as-"
- Halsey (Video COM): "Yes, well, as they say...news of my death has been greatly exaggerated. I only wish the same could be said of the rest of Noble Team."
- Carter-A259: "We all do, ma'am."
- Halsey (Video COM): "It may please you to learn the data module Noble Two procured from the Visegrád station contained precisely what my scientist promised: a latchkey discovery. It has unlocked, at last, the secrets of this excavation."
- Carter-A259: "Not sure I understand."
- Halsey (Video COM): "Your orders were a pretext to bring you to me, and have been overridden. You are here, Team Noble, to assure the delivery of this vital data to a secure location."
- Carter-A259: "Doctor, our orders are to destroy all sensitive material-"
- Halsey (Video COM): "Others will handle the demolition."
- Carter-A259: "I'll need to confirm this new directive with command-"
- Halsey (Video COM): "Colonel Holland will be briefed. You belong to ONI now."
The tram begins to descend. Fades out.
Fade in to a camera overlooking the elevator traveling down to an icy cavern. Switches to Six's point of view, who walks up to the frontal part of the tram. Noble Team looks at the crashed Forerunner spacecraft.
- Halsey (COM): "Before you is an alien artifact neither human nor Covenant in origin. Advanced beyond our comprehension... until now. Thanks to Noble Two, the decryption of its data is nearly complete."
Crumbling sounds shift the team's attention to a few falling boulders from the cave's ceiling.
- Emile-A239: "Whatever we're doing down here, we'd better do it quick."
- Carter-A259: "Have your data ready, ma'am. We're coming to you."
- Halsey (COM): "The decrypting process is still underway..."
- Carter-A259: "I don't think you understand - we're out of time. If it isn't portable when we reach you, it's gonna get buried!"
- Halsey (COM): "Bury any of it, and you bury mankind's best chance for survival! Commander, you've been wondering what your Spartans died for? They died for this. Please. Buy me all the time you can."
The elevator door opens. Noble Team steps out.
This Cave is Not a Natural Formation
- Carter-A259: "Let's find Halsey's lab. Move!"
Noble Team moves out and explores the cave complex. Four Wolf Spider turrets are located in different locations.
- Jun-A266: "Commander, I'm seeing turrets already in defensive positions."
- Emile-A239: "ONI was expecting company?"
Covenant dropships begin their descent from the cave's ceiling.
- Carter-A259: "They sure as hell got it. Doctor, we have hostiles inbound."
- Halsey (COM): "Spartans, you cannot allow the Covenant to break through the door to my lab."
- Carter-A259: "Understood. Let's give the doctor the time she needs."
- ONI Control (COM): "Noble Team, there are four defense turrets to assist you in defending the lab. Get them online, and quick! When the turrets take too much damage, they'll shut down to recharge. You'll need to reactivate them when they come back online."
The team arrives at the lab's entrance. There are a wide assortment of weapons holstered on the side and Mongooses parked near the entrance. Weapons crates and armor abilities are also available. Sandbags provide defense and Carter, Jun, and Emile hold their position there.
- Carter-A259: "Noble Six, activate the turrets! Set up a perimeter."
While Six moves around the cavern, activating the Spider Turrets, Covenant Spirits and Phantoms are heard as they enter the area.
During combat, whenever turrets take too much fire, they will shut down and Noble Team will be notified of it:
- ONI Control (COM): "Turret recharging."
- ONI Control (COM): "Turret shutting down."
- ONI Control (COM): "Turret offline."
The Phantoms begin to land, dropping Jiralhanae, Unggoy, and Kig-yar.
- Carter-A259: "They're landing out of range, across the bridge!"
- Halsey (COM): "I need more time. Whatever you have to do, do it."
After the cavern has been defended for a while, Wraiths are dropped off by Phantoms.
- Emile-A239: "We got targets! Watch out for those Wraiths!"
- Emile-A239: "Watch out for the Wraith!"
More Phantoms appear while plasma mortar rounds hit near the entrance. Banshees enter the battlefield to aid their allies.
- Jun-A266: "Heads up, we got more trouble!"
- Halsey (COM): "Hold on, Spartans. I'm getting close."
Noble Team continues to defeat wave after wave of Covenant troops.
- Carter-A259: "Another Phantom! Dropping troops to flank us!"
- Jun-A266: "Maybe we can grab a Banshee and bring the fight to them."
Ghosts and Sangheili Rangers join the assault. The team defeats them. On Legendary, an additional wave of Mgalekgolo and Skirmishers attack the lab's entrance. The team clears the area of enemies.
- Halsey (COM): "Package is almost ready. Just a little more."
The Banshees in the cavern retreat as more Phantoms approach, one of them landing right outside the entrance.
- Carter-A259: "More Covenant! Get your defenses ready, Six!"
A lance of Covenant led by a Sangheili General are dropped from the Phantom. Noble Team manages to kill the majority of the attacking Covenant troops.
- Halsey (COM): "Well done, Spartans! I'm opening the laboratory door."
- Carter-A259: "Door's opened, Noble Six. Get to the lab."
If Noble Six stalls:
- Carter-A259: "Lieutenant, get to Halsey's lab! That's an order!"
Six activates the pad. The lab door opens.
The blast door opens and NOBLE Team rushes in. They quickly reach the corridor's end - Dr. Halsey's lab. A large sphere-shaped Forerunner artifact hovers outside the lab.
- Emile-A239: "What is this stuff?"
Dr. Halsey, still in the middle of preparing the Package, moves to another monitor.
- Halsey: "Knowledge. A birthright from an ancient civilization. This AI is its custodian, and she has chosen you as her couriers."
- Emile-A239: "Chosen? By an AI?"
- Halsey: "By this AI, yes. Her measure of you carries as much weight as my own..."
- Halsey: "...Perhaps more. You are to take her to the UNSC ship-breaking yards in Aszod. There, you will find a Halcyon-class cruiser waiting to get her off-planet."
- Carter-A259: "I understand."
- Halsey: "Do you? Mankind is outmatched. When Reach falls - and it will fall - our annihilation is all but certain. Unless...we can glean from this artifact a defense against the Covenant. A game-changer. On the level of the conical bullet in the nineteenth century, or faster-than-light travel in the twenty-third."
- Carter-A259: "And what if we can't?"
- Halsey: "An apt question, if there were somewhere else to place our hope. There is not."
Dr. Halsey looks at Cortana one last time and shuts off her projection. Jun curiously looks at the lab as Dr. Halsey pulls out the data storage unit. Halsey, holding the Package securely with both hands, walks forward as if she is approaching Carter, but passes him and holds it out to Noble Six instead.
- Halsey: "Take it, Lieutenant... She has made her choice."
Six looks at Carter, who nods in response. The Spartan places his/her hands over the Package.
- Halsey: "Do you have it?"
- SPARTAN-B312: "Yes."
- Halsey: "Say the words, please."
- SPARTAN-B312: "I have it."
Halsey lets go of the unit as Six looks at her.
Fade in to Noble Team and Dr. Halsey walking out of a tunnel leading to two Pelicans. View switches to the team and Dr. Halsey. The data storage unit, now attached to Six's lower back, emits a dim blue glow. Carter turns back to Halsey.
- Carter-A259: "Dr. Halsey, Noble Three will escort you to CASTLE Base."
- Halsey: "I require no escort, Commander-"
- Carter-A259: "Jun, make sure nothing falls into enemy hands."
- Jun-A266: "I'll do what's necessary, sir... Good luck."
- Carter-A259: "You too, rifleman."
Jun and Dr. Halsey climb into one Pelican while Carter boards the other. Emile and Noble Six slowly walk back, securing the area. Cut to the cockpit of Carter's Pelican. Carter climbs into the pilot seat.
- Carter-A259: "I need a heading, Dot."
- Auntie Dot (COM): "At three kilometers north, turn right, heading zero-five-zero."
- Carter-A259: "Which leads to...?"
Six walks into the troop bay while Emile sits down on the tail of the Pelican. Both Pelicans take off.
- Auntie Dot (COM): "The ship-breaking yard in Aszod. The only off-planet extraction point left on this continent. Small-scale air attacks have decimated many convoys en route. An armada of Covenant cruisers is hastening to side as well. UNSC cruiser, Pillar of Autumn is awaiting your arrival."
- Carter-A259: "Wouldn't be a Noble mission if it were easy."
Emile sits back as explosive charges detonate beneath the ice shelf, destroying the Forerunner complex and Sword Base's remains. The surrounding waters rapidly pours into the opening, flooding the excavation site.
Fade to black.
- The HUD objective phrase "Proceeed to coordinates" misspelled "Proceed" with three "e"s.
- During gameplay, Jun carries his sniper rifle. However in all cutscenes he is shown wielding a DMR.
- There is an easter egg on this level that spawns four Banshees on the roof of Farragut Station.
- The Tribute Room easter egg can be found on this level.
- Strutting Jun and Emile can be activated here.
- This level's name may be a reference to the Halo Legends episode of the same name, in which the "Package" was Dr. Halsey herself. In Halo: Reach, the Package is a fragment of the AI Cortana, the brainchild of Dr. Halsey.
- The name of the final chapter, "This Cave is Not a Natural Formation..." is a reference to a line spoken by Cortana in the Halo: Combat Evolved level Halo, when John-117 drives a Warthog into a Forerunner tunnel. The line was widely ridiculed by fans because of the obviousness of Cortana's statement, and Bungie added the reference as a humorous reminder of this.
- The Firefight map Outpost and Glacier are based on respectively the first and last section of this level.
- The first half of level was originally planned to include Brutes, Warthogs, Phantoms and Pelican dropships. They were removed from the level because of memory constraints due to the presence of the Scorpion tank. In addition to this, the Scorpion tank was planned to be deployed by a Pelican dropship rather than left abandoned for players.
- During Solo Campaign, 3 ODSTs will accompany Noble Six in the beginning section. During Cooperative Play, however, only 2 ODSTs will accompany the players, even though the beginning cutscene depicts 3 ODSTs in the team.
- Since the remaining members of NOBLE Team are plot-critical characters, Carter's Falcon, which carries Jun and Emile, is invincible.
- The cutscene in which Dr. Halsey briefs Noble Team on the Forerunner artifact is interactive. Rather like Halo 3: ODSTs Prepare To Drop and Halo: Reachs Pillar of Autumn final cutscene, the player can look around but not move. If one looks down, it is possible to see the Spartan's emblem on his/her chest, the only way to do so in single player (excluding Theater mode).
- Meal, Ready-to-Eat packages can be seen scattered outside Dr. Halsey's lab.
- The Banshees in the final sequence of this level have no pilots; this can be easily seen when hijacking one. Still, the player can get a Pummel medal or a Splatter Medal by flipping the Banshee immediately when the player hijacks one.
- When Dr. Halsey talks to Noble Team at the end of the level, she has a display screen of Noble Team, including Jorge-052 and Kat-B320, both of whom have been listed as MIA.
- Halo: Reach Legendary Commentary
- halo.bungie.org: Re: So I was browsing Linkedin profiles
|Halo: Reach Campaign Missions
The Pillar of Autumn