From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
Lesser councils were a function of the Covenant empire's central government. They served the Covenant as the main bureaucratic element of the government, and reported to the High Council. Edicts decided upon by the lesser councils were then passed onto the ministries, who would proceed to carry out the decrees.
By the time of the Covenant's collapse in 2552, there were five lesser councils in existence;
- Council of Concordance: Charged with contracts and civil legislation.
- Council of Deed and Doctrine: Charged with religious matters.
- Council of Firmament: Charged with justice and law.
- Council of Masters: Charged with oversight of tithes and support of High Charity.
- Council of Strictures and Substance: Charged with oversight of exploration and science.
- Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 236-237