Isn't 'the Squad' technically a fireteam? Squads usually being composed of two or three fireteams, each made up of around four soldiers.--Kre 'Nunumee 12:15, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
- "Squad" is used to refer to small-sized groups of Soldiers. Resident Evil's "Alpha team" is referred to as"Alpha squad" several times in files.-- Forerunner 13:39, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
- I(and probably most people) would prefer a better example of military unit naming other than a zombie game, like the Wikipedia article I got my info from. And although we do refer to small units as squads, it should at least be mentioned that they are technically a fireteam of six marines, since an actual squad would usually be around 12 soldiers.--Kre 'Nunumee 17:03, 31 August 2009 (UTC)
- a Fire team is 4 Marines. however a squad is not a set size --WhellerNG 02:16, October 26, 2009 (UTC)
I think some of The Squad members were inspired by the RvB characters;
Buck = Church
Romeo = Tucker
Dare = Tex/Washington
inspired, not copied.
Capt. Daget J. Sparrow 10:15, September 15, 2009 (UTC)
- I think it's more the case that these are pretty stereotypical characters. Dutch is the token badass with philosophical issues, Mickey is the technical expert and pilot, Romeo is the ladies' man with an eye for headshots, Buck is the toughened leader, and Dare is the ass-kicking female. They're pretty common in fiction - that doesn't make them any less cool, its just that the similarities are just superficial. -- Administrator Specops306 - Qur'a 'Morhek Honour Light Your Way! 01:24, September 21, 2009 (UTC)
ok as everyone knows, this is an unnamed squad. I've been tryin to find out what division they are in and ive NOT confirmed but they have emblems like the ODSTs in Halo 3 (normal).ill see in a little agin.
I'm not sure if the current name is entirely fitting. By naming this as such, it's like we're assuming this is the squad's name instead of taking a neutral stance by simply calling it "unnamed" like it used to be. I hate to nitpick, but even from a logical standpoint, the name doesn't make that much sense. It wasn't "Dare's squad" until a few minutes before their drop to New Mombasa. And technically, even though Dare was in command, she was more or less an outsider, doing her own thing with the squad there just to assist and/or cover her. More than anything, it is Buck's squad. This is why I think it should be moved back to "Unnamed Shock Trooper Squad"; like I said, it sounds more neutral. We're probably never going to get the real name, but then again, we don't get those for most unnamed things. --Jugus (Talk | Contribs) 22:07, May 12, 2010 (UTC)
Support - Agreed. We should rename it. --22:11, May 12, 2010 (UTC)
Shouldn't it have a more recognizable name. This sounds like some random squad, not a important one--Raiden's stylist 10:24, 19 October 2011 (EDT)
- I've sometimes considered a simple descriptor like "Buck's ODST squad" or simply "Buck's squad" - there's no other known character named Buck so mentioning his first name wouldn't be necessary. Such a title would be more descriptive than the current one while making it a little more clear which squad it's referring to. All in all I'd like to avoid using "unidentified" in article titles wherever possible, since it's so nonspecific it's impossible to tell what the article is about. Of course, it should be made clear that "Buck's squad" is not the proper name of the unit, just a descriptive title used for convenience's sake. And yes, I'd say it's Buck's squad more than Dare's - even though Dare took charge of it for a single mission, she was just working with them, not one of them. --Jugus (Talk | Contribs) 13:37, 19 October 2011 (EDT)
Another one of Bungie's "seven" references?
If one were to count the total number of members in the squad, including Sergeant Johnson, who is not an official member, the total number of members is seven, another one of Bungie's seven references.
I've already put this into the Trivia section, as I believe this to be another one of Bungie's "seven" references. Hope nobody minds. Though I am somewhat concerned about it. I don't know, if it is okay that I added it, or that it may have certain ramifications of an unknown sort. A little help here? --Xamikaze330 13:07, 23 November 2011 (EST)Xamikaze330
- Johnson isn't a member of the squad; this is a bullshit seven. Anyone could come up with one of those if they include something outside the field or subtract an individual.-- Forerunner 13:47, 23 November 2011 (EST)
- Well, he kinda is an "unofficial" member of the squad, or at least he is to me, and some of my other friends who are also Halo fans, if not Halopedians. But since you do not agree with this, then I shall not present a quarrel. Therefore, "this is bullshit". Unless someone were to happen to think twice about it...Why is it still in the Trivia section? --Xamikaze330 13:52, 23 November 2011 (EST)Xamikaze330
The Squad's more like a Fireteam if you think about it; besides Buck and Dare, there's four members: A Corporal, two Lance Corporals and a PFC.
- I haven't watched the Bulletin, but the Universe section renders it as "Alpha-Nine", so I would go for this one. Imrane-117 (talk) 20:25, 13 February 2015 (EST)