From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
The Type-56D Guided Munitions Launcher (T-56D GML), more commonly known as the Needler, is a weapon part of the Needler series of weapons. It was fielded by the Swords of Sanghelios and Jul 'Mdama's Covenant in October 2558.
- Main article: Needler
The Type-56D needler has an upper cowling where the crystal ammunition exposed sticks out of. The channel brace of the weapon is where the crystal ammunition is fired out of. The Type-56D needler features a holographic Smart scope projector on the channel brace. Before the needler fires, shards are broken and then launched forward.
- Main article: Subanese crystal
Like all needlers, the weapon makes use of Subanese crystal, where on the Type-56D model it can hold 22 shards. After the crystal shards have been launched from needler, the shards home towards a target if one is present. If a shard hits a target it becomes chemically reactive and usually detonates, where if more than one shard is in a target it explodes in a "supercombine" chain reaction with the other shards.
After the Human-Covenant War, humanity recorded this needler in 2556, calling it the Type-56D Guided Munitions Launcher. This needler was later fielded by the Swords of Sanghelios and Jul 'Mdama's Covenant in October 2558.
- Hailstorm: The Hailstorm, is based off of a pre-Covenant Sangheili weapon that was used during the volatile early-interstellar period of Sangheili history, is an improved needler that fires blamite shards at high speed, has superior tracking capabilities, and features a larger magazine capacity with 33 needles.
- Talon of the Lost: Sangheili miners and engineers continue to discover amazing new properties of the Subanese crystals used in Needler ammunition, resulting in new creations like the Talon of the Lost. It is an advanced needler that fires carefully calibrated shards of blamite that can embed themselves into the armor of Mgalekgolo, Promethean Knights, and vehicles.
|See our gameplay information related to Type-56D needler on its gameplay page|
|Browse more images in this article's gallery page.|
Halo 5: Guardians
In Halo 5: Guardians the Needler has a 480 RPM (automatic), a velocity of 32.31 m/s (106.0 ft/s; 72.28 mph), a range that is Short to medium, more specifically 30.6 m (100.3 ft) (unscoped) and 36.7 m (120.3 ft) (scoped) It is ranked a Common REQ in Warzone simulations, and is available at Level 2 energy while giving 50 REQ points if sold.
The Hailstorm needler is ranked an Uncommon REQ in Warzone simulations and is available at Level 3 energy while giving 75 REQ points if sold. It has a 16% faster velocity.
The Talon of the Lost needler is ranked a Rare REQ in Warzone simulations, is available at Level 3 energy while giving 100 REQ points if sold, and can also be found as the first of four special weapons in the mission Reunion.
Changes from the Type-33 needler in Halo 2: Anniversary
- The normal needler's shards travel at a much faster speed and have better tracking, while the Hailstorm features even faster-moving shards.
- Can be smart-scoped to increase the weapon's range by 20%. When smart-scoped, it brings up a purple holographic display on the user's HUD.
- Super-combines with 7 rounds instead of 8, much like the Needlers in Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo 3.
- Decreased ammo capacity; the needler now has a 22-round magazine and a maximum of 66 reserve rounds for a total of 88 rounds.
- The Hailstorm can have up to 99 reserve rounds for a total of 132 rounds.
Concept art of the T-56D needler for Halo 5: Guardians.
An unused concept of the Needler developed for Halo 5: Guardians, redesigned in the "bio-organic" style of the Za'zayara-pattern Harvester.
Kelly-087 (left) with a Needler in a Halo 5: Guardians pre-release screenshot.
Frederic-104 with a Needler in the final release of Halo 5: Guardians.
A NOBLE-clad Spartan-IV firing the Talon of the Lost.
Halo 5: Guardians REQ cards
List of appearances
- Halo 5: Guardians (First appearance)
- Halo 5: Guardians, Needler
- Halo Waypoint - News, Canon Fodder, Locke & Load (Retrieved on Aug 2, 2021) [local archive] [external archive]
- Halo 5: Guardians, Needler: Hailstorm
- Halo 5: Guardians, Needler: Talon of the Lost
- YouTube - Halo 5 | Needlers Full Analysis
- YouTube - Halo 5 Guardians : Weapon Location Guide - ( Talon of the Lost ) - ( Mission 7 )