From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
The language spoken by the Kig-Yar seems to consist of a range of hisses, growls, screeches, snarls, and squawks, though it is intelligible to other members of the Covenant. The Kig-Yar written language was similar to Sangheili, with symbols representing words.
The Kig-Yar are capable of speaking Sangheili, which serves as the lingua franca to the Covenant. In addition, Kig-Yar are also capable of speaking the human English language in a rasped manner. However, most Kig-Yar are unable to form a proper "f" sound in speech. After the Human-Covenant War, some Kig-Yar often spoke amongst each other in odd mixes of English, Sangheili, and the Kig-Yar dialect. During the last days of Jul 'Mdama's Covenant, Kig-Yar mercenaries would often disregard their leader's order not to speak heretical languages, and would often taunt human and Swords of Sanghelios enemies in English.
Known words of the Kig-Yar language include:
- Chiss-teh - The crystal-bladed weapon known as a painglass saber.
- Irukan - The name of a type of grain.
- Jha-sig - A kind of ailment.
- Mev-ut - The Kig-Yar equivalent of a bounty.
- Shaks - A type of game played by Kig-Yar.
- The Kig-Yar language was created by reverse-playing speech recordings of Martin O'Donnell, the composer of Bungie's Halo games.
- Halo 5: Guardians is the first game in the series to feature Kig-Yar who speak English.
List of appearances
- Halo: Combat Evolved (First appearance)
- Halo 2
- Halo: Uprising
- Halo 3
- Halo 3: ODST
- Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
- Halo: Reach
- Halo: Glasslands
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
- Halo: The Thursday War
- Halo 4
- Halo: Mortal Dictata
- Halo 2: Anniversary
- Hunt the Truth
- Halo 5: Guardians
- ^ Hunt the Truth Season 2, Episode 04: JACKALS
- ^ Halo: Combat Evolved
- ^ Halo 2
- ^ Halo 3
- ^ Halo: Contact Harvest
- ^ Halo: Uprising
- ^ Halo: Evolutions, "Blunt Instruments", page 208
- ^ Halo: Glasslands, page 156-157
- ^ Halo: Mortal Dictata, page 394
- ^ Halo: Mortal Dictata, page 92
- ^ Game Informer, July 2015 issue
- ^ a b Halo 5: Guardians
- ^ Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 307
- ^ Halo: The Thursday War, page 62
- ^ Halo: Mortal Dictata, page 274
- ^ Halo: Glasslands, page 218
- ^ Halo: Mortal Dictata, page 218
- ^ halo.bungie.org: Halo 2 Dialogue Snippets