Halo: Combat Evolved Pistol
From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
The Pistol, often referred to as the Halo: Combat Evolved Pistol, Halo 1 Pistol, or CE Pistol to distinguish it from later human pistols, is a variant of Magnum first appearing in Halo: Combat Evolved. Despite its appearance as a handgun the Pistol was extremely effective in its role as a mid range weapon, so much so that it outperformed many other weapons both in campaign and multiplayer. It's design and function would be separated into two new weapons for the sequel Halo 2, being the Magnum and Battle Rifle respectively.
Universe and lore
- Main article: M6D magnum
- "In Halo, the pistol behaved more like a rifle than the assault rifle, and the assault rifle behaved more like a submachine gun. Now we have a rifle that behaves like a rifle, an SMG that behaves like an SMG, and a pistol that behaves like a pistol."
- — Robert McLees"
The Halo: Combat Evolved Pistol would go on to be a very influential and notorious weapon even amongst other video games. Its power both as a pistol and in comparison to Halo 1's other weapons lead players to both love and hate its overpowered nature. This aspect has been the source of many parodies and internet memes, most of which were on the now shut down Machinima YouTube channel. For Halo 2's development Bungie seeked to remedy these criticisms and have a weapon sandbox with roles better depicted through their visual designs. The Pistol tag was directly used to create the Battle Rifle which served as the sequel's utility weapon, while the Pistol model was used in the creation of the new Magnum.
Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 4, Halo 2: Anniversary multiplayer, Halo Online, and Halo 5: Guardians
Halo: Combat Evolved and Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
- Main article: First-person shooter
The Pistol is the first weapon given to the player, and by extension the first weapon to be usable in a Halo game. It is an extremely effective weapon maintaining usefulness in most situations. It can 1 shot kill any character with an exposed head, does decent damage to shields, and can one shot kill hunters when fired into their exposed backs. The Truth and Reconciliation is the only campaign mission to not feature the Pistol.
When playing a default gametype the Pistol is the primary starting weapon for the maps Sidewinder, Hang Em High, Boarding Action, Chiron TL-34, Ice Fields, Death Island, Danger Canyon, Infinity, Timberland, and Gephyrophobia. It is the secondary starting weapon for the map Rat Race, with the Assault Rifle serving as the primary weapon for that map. Otherwise custom game settings can be edited to have the Assault Rifle and Pistol be the starting weapons on any map, which is the setting used with Classic Slayer Pro.
Halo 5: Guardians
Multiplayer and Warzone
- "You’ll have to find ammo as you go. Classic Magnum with increased damage and higher recoil. Infuses the user with nostalgia and increased movement speed."
- — REQ description
Unlock and acquisition requirements
Skins and cosmetics
The CE Pistol received a few equipable weapon skins in the MCC release of Halo: Combat Evolved.
Halo: Combat Evolved (MCC)
- Main article: Skins (Halo: Combat Evolved)
Halo: Combat Evolved for Halo: The Master Chief Collection features weapon skins for all its weapons, including the Pistol. These were added into the game with an update on July 14, 2020, alongside the beginning of Season 2: Spark and the launch of Halo 3 for PC.
|Default||Default skin.||Unlocked by default|
|Golden||Bling on the ring.||Series 2 Challenge: Trusty Sidekick|
Defeat 500 opponents with the Pistol in any game mode.
The Exchange ( 2)
|Woodland||Camping is a legitimate strategy.||Series 2, Tier 41 ( 1)|
|Desert||Looks very stylish with a poncho.||Series 2, Tier 2 ( 1)|
|Great Journey||Don't worry... I know what the aliens like.||Series 2, Tier 14 ( 1)|
|Black Cherry||Get a grip. Shoot from the hip.||Series 2, Tier 91 ( 1)|
|Hazard Pay||Safety first!||Series 2, Tier 36 ( 1)|
|Toy Soldier||They're not dolls, they're action figures!||Series 2, Tier 62 ( 1)|
List of appearances
- Halo: Combat Evolved (First appearance)
- Halo Wars
- Halo 5: Guardians
- ^ YouTube - FiveLetterNames, Master Chief War Halo 3 Machinima: 9:22
- ^ The Art of Halo, page 103
- ^ Twitter, Jaime Griesemer (@32nds): "@haileyx24 @MaxHoberman After Halo 1 shipped everyone loved the Pistol but it didn’t make sense that it was more powerful than any rifle. So during H2 prepro I clicked ‘save as’ on the “pistol” tag and called it the “battle rifle” and the artists built a new model." (Retrieved on Jan 27, 2023) [archive]
- ^ Halo Waypoint - News, Halo 3 Now Available for PC (Retrieved on Jun 1, 2020) [archive]