From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
An auspex array (also referred to as an ultrascanner) is a long-range scanning system created by the Forerunners. The auspex array can examine slipstream space to look for approaching ships, or probe vast distances in realspace to instantly map local planetary systems. These systems can also detect the subtle changes in planetary or ship atmospheres, which indicates the presence of Flood contamination. Auspex arrays were fitted to Sojourner-class dreadnoughts during the Forerunner-Flood war. Low-tier ultrascanners are also a standard feature of various Sentinel models, including the Regulator and Constructor variants.
The Covenant would later adopt the auspex array to their own warships. The command center of the Ceudar-pattern heavy corvette was equipped with a high-tier auspex array. In addition, highly classified auspex battlenet uplinks were later integrated into the United Nations Space Command's GEN2 versions of RECON-class Mjolnir helmets, featuring state-of-the-art counter-cyberintrusion and firewall routines provided by the Office of Naval Intelligence.
An auspex, or augur, was a priest in Ancient Rome charged with studying the movement of birds as a means of divination. This naming may imply the Covenant augur array sensors to be in some way related to, or derived from, auspex arrays.
List of appearances
- Halo 5: Guardians (First mentioned)
- Halo Mythos (Mentioned only)
- ^ a b Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 376
- ^ Halo: Warfleet, page 81
- ^ Halo Encyclopedia (2022 edition), page 327
- ^ Halo Mythos, page 155
- ^ Halo 5: Guardians, Armory: Recon Helmet Description "The heavily classified Auspex battlenet uplink in the RECON helmet contains the latest counter-cyberintrusion and firewall routines from ONI."