Archive:Letter - Re: UNSC Related material
From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
This is a letter from CommanderTony to Eric Nylund (author of Halo: The Fall of Reach, Halo: First Strike and Halo: Ghosts of Onyx) requesting information on various aspects of the Halo Universe, Mostly related to the UNSC. As stated in Nylund's response, some information was gained due to Bungie wanting it kept secret.
From: Tony 
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2007 9:15 PM
Subject: A Question from Halopedia
Hello Eric Nylund,
I am CommanderTony from Halopedia, a wikia dedicated to all information Halo related, and I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions.
1. In the Fall of Reach, there is a UNSC unit stated, the 105th Drop Jet Platoon, and we also have the 105th ODST Division. I was just wondering if the two units are separate, or there is just the 105th Platoon, and no 105th Division?
2. I've read that you used the US Navy and Marine Corps ranks for the UNSC Navy and UNSC Marine Corps, respectively, and I was wondering if the UNSC Army ranks are in a similar fashion?
3. What ever happened to Major General Nicolas Strauss, he was mentioned in First Strike, but never after that.
4. Are all Spartans confined to the UNSC Navy, is it possible that some can go to the UNSC Marine Corps or the UNSC Army?
5. What is Master Chief Petty Officer SPARTAN John-117's real last name. :)
Thank you sir for taking time out of your schedule and reading this.
Also, I would just like to say you've created three of some my favorite books ever, and I can't wait to see what else your up too.
Again, thank you.
-- Sincerly, CommanderTony Halopedia (www.halopedian.com)
Thanks for the email. It’s always great to hear back from my readers.
I can answer as best as I can. Please take note that BUNGIE has the last word on these matters. Anything I say is not official, just my opinion.
Question 1 and 3—I’d need the HALO story bible to check—and that is back in Bungie’s hands, so I cant really help out there.
Question 2 – I believe so.
Question 4 – To the best of my knowledge ALL Spartan II's are in NAVSPECWEP – i.e. Naval Special Weapons
RE Question 5 – Nice try!
All best wishes,