Ukala Workshop Mauler/Gameplay
From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
Firing at an enemy with the Mauler while right above them will usually kill them in one shot, or if not, just melee to finish them. Staggering your shots could be effective as well, but this seems to work best if you are outside of melee range.
- Conserve Mauler ammo whenever possible, as it is hard to come by, and only use the Mauler against high priority targets like Jiralhanae and Flood combat forms. In ODST it's more common, but it should still be reserved for important targets.
- Flood infected Jiralhanae combat forms will often carry Maulers; when engaging one, never get up close to it on higher difficulties. Stay back and use controlled bursts with an Assault Rifle, BR55HB SR Battle Rifle, Covenant Carbine or Plasma Rifle. Taking on a Flood tank form while duel-wielding Maulers is very risky. Try staying out of its reach and circle around the Tank Form whenever possible.
- Unless dual-wielded, the Mauler is the weakest of all close-range weapons, such as the M90 Shotgun, Gravity Hammer, or Energy Sword. Thus, you should never attempt to engage in a close-quarters fight against someone who has any of these other weapons. Switching to longer-range weapon is often a better option. The Mauler also has very limited ammo.
- When you have a Mauler, try to dual wield it with almost anything. A Magnum would be the best choice, as both weapons are semi-automatics and will be easier to control, plus the Magnum's ability to kill an unshielded player with a headshot makes it very useful. This will most likely help on The Pit and its variant, Pit Stop.
- When facing an enemy armed with a Mauler, the best tactic is to stay back and take your opponent out from a distance. As with the Shotgun, Energy Sword, or Gravity Hammer, the weapon is virtually useless at long distances, since both the Shotgun and Mauler's ammunition scatters at distances.
- It is inadvisable to get too close, even if you have a devastating close-range weapon of your own, unless you've weakened the enemy's shields. It is best to stay back and switch to another weapon until his shields are down.
- Since the melee is very fast, if you round a corner closer, you are more likely to be killed faster. If you stick to the outer wall, they may shoot and melee, but the range for the melee is not very far. If they melee and fail, they can be dealt with easily.
- If you have a Mauler and you get into a sudden close-combat fight (For example; an enemy runs quickly around a corner and bumps into you) the best thing to do is to shoot them with your Mauler and quickly Melee attack them. This will kill them almost instantly if done correctly.
- Note: It is unwise to attempt this if the enemy is wielding any other form of close-combat weapon, such as a Shotgun or Energy Sword. However, a skilled player can still employ the Mauler-Melee combo and kill the opponent.