Date of birth:
|Political and military information|
At least Petty Officer Second Class
- "Now I know what you have to do to get a couple of days' R-and-R in this outfit."
- —Linda, after being resuscitated from clinical death aboard UNSC Gettysburg
Petty Officer Linda-058 is a SPARTAN-II supersoldier. She is one of the closest friends to John-117 and one of the few known surviving Spartan-IIs. She is best known for her skill with the sniper rifle. Linda participated in numerous engagements throughout the Insurrection and the Human-Covenant War. By July 2557, Linda continued to serve alongside Blue Team in highly classified operations.
Prior to her conscription into the SPARTAN-II program, Linda oversaw an "intelligence network" among her classmates, which she used to spy on her teachers. In 2517, at age six, she was singled out as a physically and intellectually superior child by Doctor Catherine Halsey. She was then abducted, replaced with a flash clone, and sent to the FLEETCOM Military Complex on Reach. Linda then trained there with the SPARTANs under the guidance of Chief Petty Officer Franklin Mendez and Déjà. She took part in training missions at Military Reservation 01478-B and the Military Wilderness Training Preserve in the Highland Mountains. By July 14, 2523, Linda and the Spartans had begun facing the formidable Tango Company in simulated war games.
Linda adapted successfully to her augmentations in 2525, and recovered quickly enough that she was chosen for the SPARTAN-IIs' first mission in the Eridanus system; at this point, the Spartans did not yet have their later-trademark MJOLNIR armor. She, along with John-117, Fred-104, Sam-034, and Kelly-087 boarded the Laden and traveled to the insurgent asteroid base Eridanus Secundus, where they infiltrated the facility and captured Colonel Robert Watts, the then-leader of the Eridanus rebels. By 2531, Blue Team had repeatedly disrupted the operations of the United Rebel Front, including at Station Jefferson, onboard the destroyer Origami, in Micronesia, and at a high-explosives manufacturing facility at an unspecified location. On May 1, 2531, Blue Team, then consisting of Linda, Kelly, Fred, John, and Kurt-051, had infiltrated a URF military base on Victoria, Camp New Hope. However, the Insurrectionists successfully ambushed Linda, Kelly, Fred, and John using an antigravity plate which disabled the Spartans. Before the rebels could interrogate the Spartans, Kurt freed Blue Team using a M12 Warthog and Asteroidea anti-personnel mines. However, the rescue resulted in the death of the high-ranking rebel leader General Howard Graves.
She was present at numerous battles during the Human-Covenant War, including Jericho VII in 2535 and Draco III in 2545. During the Battle of Draco III, the Spartans were unable to save the planet's residents as they were killed by Unggoy and Kig-Yar before Spartans could arrive. She was also at Sigma Octanus IV during the Battle of Sigma Octanus IV. She was designated as Green-One, leading SPARTAN-II Green Team into the suburbs around Côte d'Azur. Her team scouted out the residential section of the city and found no survivors. Green Team helped escort the twenty civilian survivors that Red Team (led by Joshua-029) had found and was able to successfully evacuate them before Blue Team detonated a HAVOK nuclear warhead in the heart of the city, destroying tens of thousands of Covenant forces stationed there. Linda was given strategic control of the evacuation. Linda and her team then dusted off in a D77-TC Pelican which docked with the UNSC Leviathan and returned to Reach for debriefing.
Fall of Reach
- Main article: Fall of Reach
Linda was aboard the UNSC Pillar of Autumn for a short time until the Fall of Reach began. She was designated as Blue-Three, part of John-117's team to Reach Station Gamma to destroy the unsecured NAV database of the Office of Naval Intelligence's UNSC Circumference. John had chosen Linda for the mission due to her omnipotent abilities with a sniper rifle, figuring the space dock they were about to board would be large enough that her skills would be a tremendous asset. During that mission, James-005 was out of commission and presumed KIA when his thruster pack was damaged by a Needler, causing him to spin out of control. Linda and John were forced to enter the station, which was filled with Sangheili and Kig-Yar Rangers. She found the bay and assisted Staff Sergeant Avery Johnson's squad in holding off the Covenant forces long enough to escape. However, as they jumped out of their Pelican to open the bay doors, she was hit by several overcharged bolts from plasma pistols and plasma rifles, which penetrated her armor and flesh all the way to the bone. One of the globules of plasma hit her in the back of the skull. Linda was recovered by a horrified John, but her vitals flatlined, and she was presumed dead.
- Main article: Battle of Installation 04
John-117, disheartened over the death of his close teammate, took her to the cryo facilities where they immediately froze Linda's body in a cryo chamber. The UNSC Pillar of Autumn then jumped to Installation 04. As the ship was shot down by Covenant forces, most of the cryo chambers, including Linda's, were ejected as per standard UNSC procedure. She floated above the Halo for several days until after the destruction of the the installation. Linda was then detected by Cortana and John, who were in a Longsword fighter. They picked her and two other cryo pods up, but both of the other occupants had died when their chambers failed.
When John-117, SSgt. Avery Johnson, Corporal Locklear, Lieutenant Elias Haverson, and PO2 Shiela Polaski captured the Covenant CSO-class supercarrier flagship Ascendant Justice, Linda, still in her cryo chamber, was brought aboard. Due to the extent of her injuries, she was left frozen until certified medical staff was available. She stayed on the Ascendant Justice until Dr. Halsey was rescued from Reach along with Fred-104 and the survivors of his team. Dr. Halsey revived Linda aboard the UNSC Gettysburg. Doctor Halsey ended up performing surgery on Linda, transplanting her with newly flash-cloned kidneys and a liver which needed to be replaced due to her injuries. The operation was successful and Linda survived, but Doctor Halsey said it would be at least a week before she should even get out of bed; however, Linda disregarded this due to the imminent threat to Earth, and seemed to recover at least enough to go on a mission within a few days.
Operation: FIRST STRIKE
- Main article: Operation: FIRST STRIKE
Linda was then geared up and made ready for battle, but did not exhibit her exceptional skills until Operation: FIRST STRIKE. Linda was one of the Spartans who infiltrated the Unyielding Hierophant, in the Tau Ceti system, in a Type-25 Spirit, providing cover for John-117, Fred-104, Will-043, and Grace-093 with a SRS99C-S2 AM sniper rifle. She made sure the Spartans made it to the vessel's fusion reactors and allowed their overload by the team.
As John, Will, and Fred evacuated, Linda, with some of her best and potent shooting skills, managed to shoot seven Sangheili pilots right out of their airborne Type-26 Banshee fliers one-handed and hanging upside-down from a cable. She refused to give up her position to make sure her three comrades got out alive, even at the expense of her own life, until John ordered her to let him rescue her over the COM. She then sent the Spartan-derived Oly Oly Oxen Free over the COM and uploaded a NAV marker with her location to John's HUD. It turned out that she was actually hiding in broad daylight, but angled so that the sun would not reflect off of her suit, thus providing an undetectable cover from which she eliminated the Banshees.
After the Spartans flew their captured Banshees to a Covenant dropship, John ordered Linda to direct the dropship behind a nearby moon. The Spartans later retreated to the Gettysburg and Linda took control of the ship's navigations. As the Unyielding Hierophant and the massive Covenant fleet were destroyed, the Gettysburg returned to Earth.
Battle of Earth
- Main article: Battle of Earth
Following her return to Earth, Linda, as well as Fred-104 and Will-043, were called upon to perform a number of operations during the Battle of Earth up until November 3, 2552. These operations included numerous operations in orbit around Earth, such as stopping a Covenant invasion on Mount Erebus in Antarctica with a HAVOK tactical nuke, and destroying Covenant excavation forces on the sea floor off the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico.
Following these operations, they were deployed to the Centennial Orbital Elevator (also known as Tallo Negro del Maiz) in Havana, Cuba to stop Covenant forces that had gathered there. Linda discovered that all UNSC forces in the area were killed by a Type-47 Scarab and Jiralhanae infantry. As Will destroyed the Scarab, Linda and Fred killed most of the Jiralhanae. Linda, along with Blue Team, stopped the Covenant forces that had captured multiple nuclear warheads. While fighting Covenant forces, Fleet Admiral Terrence Hood relayed a message to the Spartans from Doctor Catherine Halsey on Onyx who asked for the support of Spartans to retrieve Forerunner artifacts. Hood had the UNSC Pony Express to pick up the Spartans, but Fred decided to use a Covenant ship instead to reach the Zeta Doradus system quicker. The Spartans ascended the orbital elevator and destroyed one of the Covenant destroyers at the top. When the Covenant sent dropships to retrieve the warheads, the Spartans hid under the hull of one of them and waited as the dropships returned to the Bloodied Spirit, another destroyer. To eliminate the Covenant forces in the ship, the Spartans depressurized the entire vessel. As the Spartans prepared to jump to slipspace for the Onyx system, Linda armed the nukes and destroyed the space elevator.
- Main article: Battle of Onyx
- "To absent friends."
- —Linda, thinking of her fallen fellow Spartans aboard the Bloodied Spirit
Using the Bloodied Spirit, Linda and the other SPARTAN-IIs traveled to the planet Onyx at the request of Dr. Catherine Halsey. Linda arrived with Fred-104 and Will-043 in a crash landing on the surface. There, she met Kelly-087, Dr. Halsey, Lieutenant Commander Kurt Ambrose (a Spartan she had thought dead for twenty-one years) and many Spartan-IIIs — most notably Holly, Ash, and Dante. There they were assaulted by multiple Onyx Sentinels. The Sentinels attacked in groups of three, one watching and reporting Spartan tactics to the other Sentinels at three thousand meters in the air, and the other two attacking at close range. Linda was able to shoot the overwatch Sentinel out of the sky with aid from two M41 rocket launchers.
Linda then accompanied the rest of the human survivors as they used one of Bloodied Spirit's Type-25 Spirits to reach a massive underground Forerunner city within Zone 67 on Onyx. Once they had located Onyx's map room, Endless Summer assigned them on a mission to destroy a Sentinel factory, in which they succeeded.
Translocating to another section of Onyx, they found Spartan-III Team Katana, who were trapped in Forerunner slipspace field pods. As such, the Spartans were unable to resuscitate them and fled to a chamber within Onyx's core, taking Team Katana with them, whilst being pursued by a Covenant army under command of Fleet Master Voro Nar 'Mantakree. The Covenant forces assaulted the small group of Spartan-IIs and Spartan-IIIs, who were holding their ground at a slipspace portal in the center of the core room. Linda was able to kill many Sangheili and Unggoy, but they were quickly being overwhelmed, and Kurt ordered a retreat into the slipspace rift while he stayed behind to make sure the Covenant did not follow them inside. Linda's final act during that battle was to shoot two Sangheili out of their Banshees before retreating through.
Shield world and recovery
On the other side of the slipspace rift, the human survivors found themselves inside a massive micro Dyson sphere contained within a compressed slipspace bubble in the heart of Onyx. After Linda and the rest of the human survivors had explored the sphere for several days—over three months in normal spacetime—they discovered a group of Huragok which helped them establish contact with the outside and eventually bring the sphere back into normal space. They were then recovered by the ONI team Kilo-Five and taken to a debriefing in HIGHCOM Facility Bravo-6 aboard the UNSC Port Stanley. She, along with the rest of the surviving SPARTAN-IIs, was present in the Voi Memorial ceremony on March 3, 2553.
On July 26, 2557, Linda along with Kelly, Fred, and John, deployed to Installation 03 to investigate a recent attack on a UNSC science team as well as Black Team on the ring. Soon after their arrival Linda found tracks left by a Promethean Crawler. Fred and Linda found the bodies of Team Black while John and Kelly found the scientists. Shortly after they left the camp they were attacked by Promethean Knights, but managed to fend them off. They continued following the Crawlers' tracks and came to where the Composer was originally located. They soon found the Composer's Abyss where they entered a portal.
The portal transported the Spartans into a deserted Forerunner city, where they soon found the Composer's Forge and six intact Composers housed therein. The Didact confronted the Spartans and a firefight ensued as the Didact summoned an army of Promethean forces to the site. While Linda and the other Spartans battled the Prometheans, the Didact departed toward the portal, now in the possession of a new Composer and Installation 03—moved over the Forge by the monitor 859 Static Carillon—which he planned to use against Earth. Blue Team pursued the Forerunner through the portal back to Gamma Halo. Upon their return to the surface, the Didact attacked the Spartans, intending to kill them personally. Before he could kill John, Linda and Kelly attacked the Didact. He blasted Kelly away and tackled Linda to the ground, disabling the Spartans. However, before the Didact could finish them off, Static Carillon appeared behind the Forerunner and disabled him with his laser. Then the monitor teleported the Didact to Gamma Halo's control room to prevent him from killing the Spartans. While John went to pursue the Didact, Linda and the rest of Blue Team returned to their Longsword. After John succeeded in "containing" the Didact, Static Carillon teleported himself and John into Blue Team's Longsword. After the monitor left to repair the ring, Blue Team returned to Earth.
After John was debriefed by Fleet Admiral Terrence Hood, the admiral gave orders for John and the rest of Blue Team to have some rest after years of combat. However, John returned to Blue Team and told them that Hood gave them the all-clear for their next mission. John stated that their mission's location would be "anywhere we're needed". Blue Team then left to take on a new mission unknown to Lord Hood.
Personality and description
Linda is notorious for her unparalleled abilities with the sniper rifle; John-117 and Fred-104 have noted on several occasions that she makes sniping seem like an art. She never requires a spotter, and her accuracy allows her to pull off remarkable shots: on one occasion, she was able to take out several Covenant Banshees in mid-flight by firing between the gaps between the upper and lower sections. In addition, she once eliminated two targets so quickly that even the Master Chief couldn't tell who she had targeted first. She is notably the quietest member of Blue Team, excluding John, and has been labeled as a "lone wolf". She is also a practitioner of Zen.
Linda is very pale, with blood-red hair and emerald green eyes. She, like every SPARTAN-II, was trained by CPO Mendez on planet Reach. John once described her as the emotionally "strongest" Spartan, as she does not rely on other members of her squad for advocating support on or off the battlefield. John-117 also once mentioned that "If any one of the Spartans could be called a 'lone wolf', it was Linda."
|Browse more images on this article's gallery page.|
- In the Halo: The Fall of Reach audiobook, Linda speaks with a southern American accent. This may be a reference to US Marine Corps sniper Carlos Hathcock, who spoke with a prominent drawl. Hathcock achieved 93 confirmed kills during the Vietnam War and held the world record for longest-ranged sniper kill (2,286 meters) from 1967 until 2002.
- "Linda" is one of the name options for customized loadouts in Halo: Reach, along with the members of NOBLE Team and several other SPARTAN-IIs.
- Throughout Halo: Fall of Reach, Linda's ballistic armor and MJOLNIR suits are incorrectly emblazoned with the tag "-059". This tag actually belongs to Malcolm.
- In Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, Linda's life signs can be seen onboard the level The Pillar of Autumn in Anniversary Mode on red terminals in both sections of the "Cryo B" control room, her heart monitors showing that her vital signs have flatlined. Her name, Spartan tag, and rank appear on the screen; she is stated to be a petty officer but her grade is not specified.
Blue Team engaging Promethean forces in the Composer's Forge.
List of appearances
- Halo: The Fall of Reach (First appearance)
- Halo: The Flood (Mentioned only)
- Halo: First Strike
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx
- Halo: Reach (Mentioned as a Loadout)
- Dr. Halsey's personal journal (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Fall of Reach
- Halo: Glasslands
- Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary
- Halo 4 (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Escalation
- ^ a b c d Halo: First Strike, page 150 (2003 edition); page 185 (2010 edition) ("Linda had been unique among the Spartans with her blood red hair and dark emerald eyes, but her appearance was not what set her apart. She was the unit's best sniper-scout and could hit targets the rest of them couldn't. While the other Spartans preferred to operate as a team, Linda was content to separate, hide and post in some remote location, and wait for days for the single, critical shot that could turn the tide of battle. Although snipers in the UNSC were always trained to function in pairs, a shooter and a spotter, Linda was the exception to that rule--she had proven time and again that she was most effective on her own. If any one of the Spartans could be called a "lone wolf,". In many ways that made her the strongest of them all.")
- ^ a b Halo: First Strike, page 268 (2003 edition); page 322 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide
- ^ Halo: Reach, Dr. Halsey's personal journal
- ^ Halo: First Strike, page 158 (2003 edition); page 193 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 98 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 114 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 37
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 35
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 41
- ^ a b Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 212 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 203 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 213 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 240 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 324 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 341 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 342 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 348 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 366 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 368 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 379 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: First Strike, page 236 (2003 edition); page 286 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: First Strike, page 299 (2003 edition); page 360 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: First Strike, page 379 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: First Strike, pages 318-320 (2003 edition); pages 381-383 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: First Strike, page 322 (2003 edition); page 386 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: First Strike, page 325 (2003 edition); page 390 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: First Strike, page 336 (2003 edition); page 402 (2010 edition)
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, pages 203-204
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 209
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 212
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 215
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 218
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 220
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 234
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 254
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 262
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 269
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 324
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 350
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, pages 366-368
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 378
- ^ Halo: Glasslands, pages 382-389
- ^ Halo: Glasslands, page 401
- ^ Halo: Glasslands, page 414
- ^ Halo: Escalation, Issue #8
- ^ Halo: Escalation, Issue #9
- ^ a b Halo: Escalation, Issue #10
- ^ Halo: Reach, Firefight