184 centimetres (6.0 ft)
85 kilograms (190 lb)
|Political and military information|
- "Private First Class Michael Crespo - Mickey. Smart enough to be a pilot, but trained to blow stuff up. He's never seen a planet get glassed, I hope he won't see that today."
- —Edward Buck
Being an ODST is Crespo's favorite of all the positions he's been in. He is the demolition expert and pilot for the squad. According to his file, he is highly creative, a risk taker and a daredevil. Despite being an experienced combatant, he is somewhat unique among his squad brothers, never having witnessed a planet get glassed by the Covenant. He holds the lowest rank and was the last to enlist of all the members on the squad, though he joined the squad itself before the Rookie, which is how the Lance Corporal got his nickname.
 Early life
Michael Crespo was born in 2530 in Crisium City, Naniwa, Luna and has lived there ever since. Despite this, he has never visited Earth, and has only seen it from a transport craft window. Crespo's parents were Insurrectionists who died wiring a bomb to a government building. He never got to know them well because he was very young at the time. He was placed in foster care, during which he studied subjects such as UNSC history and work productivity.
 Military career
Crespo signed up for UNSCDF service on June 4th, 2548, as mandatory military service was a requirement for freedom from foster care. After the mandatory service, he had the chance to quit the military, but he decided to stay as he considered it home. Both he and The Rookie enlisted in the same year, and were both students before they enlisted. It is possible that they both knew each other before joining the UNSC.
He was a pilot and then Crew Chief on a Pelican dropship for sometime before becoming an ODST with the rank of Private First Class. Before the Battle of Earth, he had undergone EVA training and finished in the top of his class, as well as three HEV drops.
 Battle of Mombasa
- Main article: Battle of Mombasa
Crespo served during the Battle of Earth in 2552. He and his squad, along with the 105th Shock Troops Division were stationed aboard the UNSC Say My Name, with the mission to assault the Solemn Penance above the city of New Mombasa.
During the drop to New Mombasa, Crespo's drop pod was caught in the EMP blast from the Prophet of Regret's retreating Assault Carrier. It lost power and slammed into The Rookie's pod, cracking the window and causing him and the Rookie's pod to land farther away from his squad.
Later that day, Crespo stumbled upon several retreating Marines. He helped them fight through to their rally point with a Scorpion tank near the entrance of the ONI Alpha Site which led him to rejoin with Taylor H. Miles in aiding with other Marines also. After defending the area, both ODST's met up with a desperate NMPD officer. In response, they defended the ONI Alpha Site complex with him and several other officers and Marines. After the courtyard was overrun they moved inside where NMPD officers were defending the building, and getting ready to blow it up, should the Covenant overwhelm them. Sure enough after a few waves they fell back to the roof on an elevator, there Crespo told the last remaining officer to link the charges to him, saying "If anyone's gonna blow this place, it's gonna be me." Once on the roof they evacuated on a NMPD Pelican, where they finally made contact with Buck who was at the NMPD Headquarters, the pilot agreed to take them to him.
As they flew away from the Alpha Site, the building exploded. Some time after the battle, they were preparing to pick up Kojo Agu and Buck from a landing pad in the NMPD Headquarters building. However, two Banshees appeared and shot the Pelican down. Buck and Agu proceeded to rescue them. They survived the crash, but the pilots didn't, so they had to hold out against an assault by Banshees and Phantoms. Eventually a Brute Chieftain engaged the squad and severely wounded Agu by swinging the bladed side of a Gravity Hammer into his chest. As Buck engaged the brute, stabbing it in the neck, Crespo assisted Buck by tackling the brute, ramming his shoulder into it's chest. After killing the Chieftain, the squad later went to Kikowani Station, Crespo was the first to notice that they couldn't take the train out of the city since the tunnels were flooded. Buck then had Crespo help him capture a Phantom that was hovering close to the ground. After taking out the Covenant in the area, Crespo went up the Phantom's lift and took out both the pilots. After familiarizing himself the best he could despite not having run a simulation on piloting a Pelican for more than a year, he picked up Miles and Agu, who manned the Phantom's plasma turrets.
Eventually the squad makes it through the station and out of the city, however, Buck suddenly realized where Capt. Veronica Dare might be and told Crespo to go back. Buck has Crespo hide the Phantom in a safe location while he rescues Dare. When Dare's Olifant was damaged by a Scarab they had to find a new location for Crespo to pick them up. After safely evacuating the city, Buck told Crespo he would have a co-pilot, Vergil, which Crespo was reluctant to have in the cockpit with him. He was last seen a month later on an ONI orbital facility, in an interrogation room with the rest of his squad and Vergil, as Sgt. Avery Junior Johnson began to interrogate the Huragok.
|Check out our collection of quotes related to Michael Crespo on its quotes page.|
- He is unlocked for use in Firefight by earning the Kizingo Boulevard Achievement on Kizingo Boulevard.
- Crespo is voiced by Alan Tudyk, best known for his role as Hoban Washburne in the television program Firefly, alongside Nathan Fillion and Adam Baldwin. Worthy of mention, his character from the show was also a pilot.
- On the front of his helmet, he has a small piece of masking tape with his name written on it in black marker.
- On the right leg of his ODST armor, he has an ammo belt wrapped around it with what seems to be miniature shotgun shells or pistol shells. This came from early in Mickey's character development by Bungie, as concept art for the character shows him as a CQB (close quarters battle) ODST, which was most likely cut due to the danger of close quarter combat in the game.
- In addition to being a pilot and demolitions expert, Mickey may also be the squad's close-quarters combat expert due to the armor version he wears, the shotgun shells on his right leg, and the fact that he is seen wielding a shotgun when Agu is attacked by a Brute Chieftain.
- Although Mickey has a built-in VISR in his helmet, he also has a helmet-mounted flashlight. It is probably used for more specific functions such as bomb-defusing, although this is not shown in-game.
- Mickey is the only Squad member that does not directly interact with the Rookie throughout the game.
- Mickey's backpack has a constantly changing display of numbers above a small keypad of sorts on the left side.
- Mickey is the youngest of the squad (22 years) and is also of the lowest rank, being only a Private First Class.
- The events of Halo 3: ODST take place on his birthday (October 20), though neither he nor any other character mention it.
- In the picture with all of the squad members, his armor detail is white instead of the in-game red.
- Mickey's armor features a helmet-mounted flashlight, a special left hand shoulder-piece, a small radio backpack, and some spare ammunition wrapped round his right calf. None of these items are used in gameplay.
Concept art of Mickey fighting alongside Marines on Kizingo Boulevard.
Crespo as he appeared in ONI Candidate Assessment Program V5.02A.
Mickey's drop pod hitting the Rookie's pod.
Mickey and Dutch, being observed by the Superintendent.
Mickey with his rocket launcher.
 List of appearances
- Halo 3: ODST (First appearance)
- ^ a b c d Halo Encyclopedia, page 60
- ^ a b c d Bungie.net: Halo 3: ODST Field Guide
- ^ Halo 3: ODST ViDoc: Desperate Measures
- ^ a b c d ONI Candidate Assessment Program V5.02A (Mickey)
- ^ Halo Waypoint: Into Hell 1
- ^ Halo 3: ODST, campaign level, ONI Alpha Site
- ^ Halo 3: ODST campaign level, Coastal Highway
| Dare's Squad|
Orbital Drop Shock Troopers
|Capt. Veronica Dare | GySgt. Edward Buck | Cpl. Taylor "Dutch" Miles | LCpl. Kojo "Romeo" Agu | LCpl. "Rookie" | PFC Michael "Mickey" Crespo|