69.4 kg (153lbs)
|Political and military information|
- "Orders are orders."
- —Veronica Dare
Veronica Dare is a Captain in the UNSC Navy and an intelligence officer in Section One of the Office of Naval Intelligence. During the Battle of Earth, she took command of a Shock Trooper squad led by Gunnery Sergeant Edward Buck.
Veronica Dare was a graduate of a Naval Academy, which led to her eventual posting with the Office of Naval Intelligence.
Some years prior to the Battle of Earth, she was in a romantic relationship with Edward Buck. Buck even proposed to her following a night spent together, but Dare never answered him, feeling that her job would force them to split. The two eventually agreed to end their relationship, and Dare went on to be assigned to the UNSC Say My Name as an Intelligence Officer.
 Battle of Mombasa
- Main article: Battle of Mombasa
On October 20, 2552, during the Battle of Earth, a large element of the 105th Shock Troops Division was to be inserted onto the Solemn Penance stationed over New Mombasa. Dare, however, was under orders to perform a classified mission in the city and she needed a squad of ODSTs to assist her. Dare requested a particular ODST squad from an unnamed Admiral aboard the UNSC Say My Name to partake in her mission. The admiral was hesitant at first, but was forced to fulfill her request, seeing she was actually an ONI Section One operative, and thus did not report to the Fleet.
At one point before the drop, Dare called the NMPD Headquarters, asking the Communications Duty Officer there to go against the commissioner's orders and turn the Superintendent back on. They soon started an argument, and after Dare threatened to fire the officer, the enraged communications officer hung up on her.
Moments before the ODSTs' drop, Dare, wearing an ONI's Recon variant of the ODST armor, took command of the squad led by GySgt Edward Buck, causing some confusion among the squad members, and told him that infiltrating the Solemn Penance was not their mission anymore. During the drop, she ordered the squad to change their drop pods' course at the last moment so they could perform her mission, just as the ship entered Slipspace, damaging the city and releasing a large EMP wave which disabled the pods' electronic systems and scattered them around the city. Dare's pod landed in Tayari Plaza. However, she was stuck in her pod, so she radioed Buck for help. However, Dare somehow got out of the pod before Buck could make it to her location. When he arrived at the pod, he found it to be empty; he presumed her dead when he saw her helmet in the grasp of an unknown alien creature. Thinking the creature would kill Buck, Romeo killed it and in the resulting explosion her helmet was launched through a window and into the viewscreen where the Rookie found it later.
Six hours after the drop, Dare had made her way to sub-level 9 of the Superintendent's data center. Following her trail was the Rookie; Dare was surprised to see him as he arrived. With him, she made her way to the core, explaining to the Rookie that their original mission was to retrieve crucial information that the Superintendent had on a seismic anomaly prior to the Covenant invasion. The mission, however, would have been suicide to go alone, as Dare needed a team behind her. As there were only two ODSTs battling through Covenant forces, Dare was impressed with the Rookie, amazed he survived alone in the city.
When they got to the data center, she discovered a Huragok that she initially believed was trying to harm Vergil. Upon further investigation, she had realized the Huragok was actually trying to help the Superintendent by repairing it. Her investigation also led her to believe that the Huragok was assimilating the Superintendent's data in order to help the UNSC discover the Covenant's intentions for the city. With the data secure inside the Huragok, the Rookie and Dare began an attempt to evacuate to the surface.
The trio rendezvoused with Buck, who had figured out where Dare was, just as the Jiralhanae started swarming the core. Once they reached an elevator, Dare punched him in the face for "abandoning the mission". Buck complained that she was missing and his squad was scattered, only for Dare to spontaneously kiss him for coming back; they both became embarrassed with the Rookie and Vergil looking on. Upon getting back to the surface, they discovered more Covenant ships coming out of Slipspace over New Mombasa. Dare was dismayed that Buck neglected to mention it; he snapped that he was too busy watching out for Vergil; they argued to the point where Dare confessed that she'd thought she'd never see him again. Vergil then grabbed their attention by getting into an Olifant, fixing it and honking its horn. They made their way across the coastal highway to the Phantom the squad had stolen previously, allowing the squad and Vergil to escape the city, as the Covenant began to glass it. As they flew away, Buck asked Dare if they can have a relationship again; she held his hand and told him, "Win this war...then ask me that again".
A month later, Admiral Terrence Hood granted Sergeant Major Johnson clearance to interrogate the Huragok, currently held in an ONI orbital facility, as to what the Covenant were looking for on Earth. Dare warned Johnson to be gentle with their ally. As they entered the room where the Huragok was being guarded by the squad, Vergil was in the process of accessing the Covenant Battle Network. Johnson tossed the Huragok his lighter; Dare warned him that the creature was very flammable; Johnson cut straight to the chase, telling Vergil to answer his questions as to why the Covenant were "digging".
|Check out our collection of quotes related to Veronica Dare on its quotes page.|
- It is noted that an Admiral aboard the UNSC Say My Name referred to her as an "S-1 type". Originally, S1 was thought to possibly refer to SPARTAN-I, a program that predated the Human-Covenant War, but she was confirmed by Joseph Staten not to be a Spartan. "S-1" actually refers to ONI, as Section One is the main intelligence gathering section of ONI and she herself is an Intelligence officer.
- Dare is the first playable female character in the Halo series, not including the SPARTANs of multiplayer.
- Veronica is voiced by Tricia Helfer, who is widely known for her portrayal of "Number Six" from Battlestar Galactica. Helfer's likeness was also used to model Dare. She joins Katee Sackhoff as another Battlestar cast member lending their voice to the Halo games.
- The number 035 and the emblem of the UNSC Office of Naval Intelligence can be found on the left side of Dare's helmet. It is possible that this means she is a member of ONI Recon 035, a reconnaissance and intelligence unit, as she is an intelligence officer and even wears a Recon armor variant.
- A running joke on Bungie.net pokes fun at Dare's Recon helmet, which to some appears disproportionate. However, Bungie has said that her helmet is entirely proportional to her body. The illusion of disproportion may be due to the helmet being seen on Spartans, whose armor is much thicker than that of ODSTs. Another reason for the supposed disproportional helmet could possibly be that Dare wears no shoulder pad armor, making the helmet appear bigger than it should be. Her choice of light armor also contributes to this illusion. Contrary to the above misconception, Dare's armor is actually smaller in comparison to the other 5 ODST armors available for Firefight mode.
- Dare's Recon helmet is unlocked for Xbox Avatars by getting the Vidmaster Challenge: Endure Achievement.
- Dare is unlocked for play in Firefight by beating the Campaign on Legendary.
- Dare is the only non-playable squad member in the Halo 3: ODST campaign.
- The bottom part of the Marathon symbol can be seen at the bottom part of the strap on Dare's backpack.
- When played in Firefight mode, enemies will say things like, "There he is!" or, "I found him!", even though Veronica is a woman. This may be an oversight when the game was made, but it can easily be accepted that Covenant footsoldiers are unable to tell because of Dare's armor, or are even unable to distinguish male and female humans in general.
- Veronica Dare was made into an action figure by McFarlane Toys, and was released March 2010. There were two different types released; one with a helmet and one without.
- Bungie's love of seven is shown with Dare. In the campaign if a weapon is swapped with Dare's pistol, her pistol will always have 7 rounds missing.
- Unlike the other ODSTs in her squad, Dare does not have her blood type displayed on her armor.
 List of appearances
- Halo 3: ODST (First appearance)
- ^ Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 45
- ^ a b Halo 3: ODST, Firefight profile
- ^ Seattle Times.com - Developers at Bungie ready to spring new heroes in the 'Halo' universe
- ^ Halo 3: ODST, ViDoc: Terra Incognita
- ^ PARDON OUR DUST - Bungie Teaser - 9/22/2008
- ^ KEEP IT CLEAN - Bungie Teaser - 9/19/2008
- ^ Buck: The last person who looked at me like that was the Captain and I asked her to marry me, so... you know.
- ^ Halo 3: ODST, level Tayari Plaza: Dare: You don't really remember, that night? What you asked me in the morning? Buck: I remember not getting an answer.
- ^ Halo 3: ODST, level Coastal Highway: Buck: Oh, so full of big ONI secrets, couldn't even give a guy a yes or no answer! Dare: I never thought I'd see you again!
- ^ msnbc.com: An exclusive look at "Halo 3: ODST"
- ^ Halo Waypoint: Into Hell 1
- ^ Superintendent viral campaign:[DARE.V.500341(S1)]: “Admiral, about my squad?”[DARE.V.500341(S1)]: “I’ve forwarded their NCO’s name to your --”
- ^ Superintendent viral campaign:[SMN.ACTUAL]: “I will deploy per my orders from Fleet HQ!”[DARE.V.500341(S1)]: “Sir. I don’t report to Fleet.”[DARE.V.500341(S1)]: “And the men I want? Now they don’t either.”[DARE.V.500341(S1)]: “Please. Read my request.”[SMN.ACTUAL]: “Didn’t think you S1 types ever left your cave.”
- ^ Halo 3: ODST, Audio Log 22, Circle 8, Arc 1
- ^ Halo 3: ODST, intro cutscene
- ^ Halo 3: ODST, campaign level Prepare to Drop (Buck: ""They're not going to like what they hear." Dare: "Orders are orders." Buck: "C'mon Veronica, what could be more important than that carrier?")
- ^ Halo 3: ODST, campaign level Tayari Plaza
- ^ a b c Halo 3: ODST, campaign level Data Hive
- ^ Halo 3: ODST, campaign level Coastal Highway
- ^ Halo 3: ODST, Epilogue
| Dare's Squad|
Orbital Drop Shock Troopers
|Capt. Veronica Dare | GySgt. Edward Buck | Cpl. Taylor "Dutch" Miles | LCpl. Kojo "Romeo" Agu | LCpl. "Rookie" | PFC Michael "Mickey" Crespo|