June 12th, 2524, (Age 28)
190 centimetres (6.2 ft)
91 kilograms (200 lb)
|Political and military information|
- "Lance Corporal Kojo Agu. Romeo. Real lucky with the ladies if you'll hear him tell it, but all I care about it is his aim; his luck with targets at long range."
- —Buck's description of Romeo.
Lance Corporal Kojo "Romeo" Agu (Service Number 14606-85099-KA) is a UNSC Marine Shock Trooper, who served during the Battle of Ariel and the Battle of Earth in 2552. During the Battle of Earth, he was a part of a Squad led by GySgt Edward Buck.
 Early life and military career
Kojo Agu was born in the Castra arcology in Castra on Madrigal in 2524. His homeworld was glassed by the Covenant when he was only four years-old, but he managed to survive the glassing. Before enlisting in 2541, he served in the UNSC commercial fleet as a Merchant Marine. He later became an ODST when he angered the Governor at the colony of Castra by having an affair with said Governor's wife. This prompted the Governor to call upon people he knew in the UNSC who in turn sent Agu into the ODST to keep him away from the Governor's wife. During his tenure with the ODSTs, Agu served on various colony planets, such as Coral, Mamore, New Jerusalem, and Beta Gabriel, with a remarkable 100% kill rate.
 Battle of Ariel
- Main article: Battle of Ariel
In early 2552, Kojo Agu and Taylor H. Miles served in an ODST unit commanded by MSgt Frost. Before being deployed to planet Ariel, he and another ODST were discussing the Spartans and expressed extreme disbelief over their claimed fighting prowess. When another ODST, Brimley heard this, he told them that a teenage Spartan trainee had killed his friend Langston 27 years earlier. In his typical fashion, Agu burst out laughing, ridiculing Langston for being killed by a teenager. This led to a fight with Brimley, and Agu was coming off worse until Miles interfered in the fight. Sergeant Frost confined them both to their quarters because of the fight.
Later, inside Ariel's generator complex, Agu and Miles were cut off from the remainder of the ODST unit. It was there that they learned that the Covenant was digging for something. After a brief engagement with two Sangheili (whose corpses were later used as shields to survive a generator explosion), the two found an injured Unggoy. They attempted to interrogate it, but its only reply was "knowing". Agu pretended to let the Unggoy go before killing it, believing it to be a liability.
After using improvised explosives to bring a canyon's walls down on a large number of Covenant and then evading the survivors, the two made plans to steal a Phantom. They proceeded to kill a Unggoy, use its corpse as a ruse, and then eliminate several Covenant infantrymen guarding the Phantom. However, a Sangheili managed to down the ship. The ODSTs bailed out before it crashed, falling through a building's skylight and into a building where the planet's missing colonists were being held hostage.
The ODSTs made short work of the Unggoy guarding the hostages and learned that the colonists had been forced to dig deep into the planet's surface, unearthing an alien complex and activating several traps at its entrance. The ODSTs entered the dig site intending to liberate other colonists; it was there that they found what the Covenant was looking for: an alien construct called the Knowing. If the Covenant got their hands on it, then they could wipe out humanity down to their last DNA strand.
Though Miles wanted to claim the Knowing to the UNSC, per ONI Xeno orders, Kojo Agu preferred to destroy it, as "this is like Alexander the Great getting his hands on a nuclear arsenal" - he believed that humanity were not ready for the advanced Forerunner knowledge and would destroy itself. Agu asked the Knowing to activate its self-destruct and direct them out of the complex. As they made their way out, Agu tripped over a Unggoy's body and broke his ankle. Miles carried him and managed to escape the blast. When they got back to the surface, they were reunited with their squad, who had seen the Covenant fleeing the planet after Knowing's destruction.
Later, Miles visited Agu while he was on the the infirmary bed. Agu stated that he filed in a transfer to be with Miles; he told his friend that he withdrew his. They both tried Rock, Paper, Scissors to decide who would go.
 Battle of Mombasa
- Main article: Battle of Mombasa
During the Battle of Earth in October 20, 2552, Kojo Agu served as a marksman in a squad led by Gunnery Sergeant Edward Buck. The squad was a part of the 105th Shock Troops Division, with a mission to attack the Prophet of Regret's assault carrier, Solemn Penance, which was stationed over Earth's city of New Mombasa. At the last moment before the drop, an ONI operative known as Veronica Dare took command of the squad in order to use them for her own classified mission.
In mid-drop, Dare ordered the squad to adjust their drop pods' trajectories away from the carrier. Right after this, though, the carrier jumped into Slipspace above the city, generating a massive EMP/Radiation shockwave which disabled the pods' electronic systems. The pods were scattered around the city due to the blast.
Right after the drop, Agu landed near Tayari Plaza and shot a Huragok he thought was going to kill Buck. Reunited with Buck, the two made their way to the NMPD Headquarters building where they would hopefully get information of their other squadmates' whereabouts.
Three hours after the drop, around 19:15, Miles and Michael Crespo had acquired a ride on an NMPD Pelican dropship, and were ready to pick up Agu and Buck from a platform of the NMPD Headquarters, but before they could land, they were shot down by two Banshees. Romeo and Buck then proceeded to find and rescue their squad mates.
After finding the downed Pelican site to find that their squadmates were unscathed, Agu, Buck, and the other ODSTs defended their position from Banshees and Phantoms, until a Jiralhanae Chieftain arrived and impaled Agu in the chest with the blade side of his Gravity Hammer. The rest of the squad managed to kill the Chieftain, before realizing that Agu had been wounded from the impact of the blow. The squad headed for Kikowani Station, to escape the city through train tunnels, but realized the whole sector had been flooded by water. Here, Agu's condition was getting worse. After Buck had administered Biofoam to Agu's punctured lung, the squad decided a risky move to hijack a Phantom, and finally escape the city. Eventually, Agu and the rest of the squad escaped New Mombasa aboard the captured Phantom after going back and finding both the Rookie and Dare. They were last seen a month later, in an ONI orbital facility, guarding the Huragok the squad had extracted from Mombasa as Sergeant Johnson interrogated it.
 Personality and traits
Agu is shown interacting aggressively or abrasively with almost every squad member, as they will tell him to show some respect, including striking the Rookie with his Sniper Rifle to wake him up. He is good friends with Miles, the squad's heavy weapons specialist. In his old unit, Agu racked-up multiple code of conduct violations, any one of which should have resulted in demotion—or worse. However, he was kept because the UNSC were running out of battle tested snipers, and Agu was one of the best. He is a consummate combatant but also saw himself as something of a ladies' man. He is proud of his colonial background, and doesn't hold much respect toward Earth. Prior to the Battle of Earth, he had never been to Earth, and had only seen it from the window of a transport. While he is still listed as a Madrigali citizen, Agu's last known place of residence is Holetown on the colony of Emerald Cove.
|Check out our collection of quotes related to Kojo Agu on its quotes page.|
- Although born on Madrigal, Kojo Agu's name and appearance hint at possible West-African descent.
- Kojo Agu is unlocked for Firefight by earning the NMPD HQ Achievement.
- Sergeant John Forge and Kojo Agu share the same voice actor, Nolan North. Both have somewhat controversial service records and are often disrepectful to officers. Their armor is also similar, as both of their left pauldrons are larger than their right one, with Agu not having a right pauldron.
- If one explores enough in the level Mombasa Streets, they will eventually come across an empty SOEIV in the middle of a garden, with an M7S Caseless Submachine Gun beside it. The pod is possibly Romeo's, as his pod is never seen, and when he is first encountered is only wielding a sniper rifle and an M6C/SOCOM.
- One of the names listed on the ONI Memorial is "Chen Agu". It is possible that he was a relative of Kojo Agu's.
- Agu never appears as an in-game ally, save for when he is injured and cannot fight. He can still attack enemies when he is on the Phantom's turret, however. This is done to balance gameplay, as Agu is described canonically as an excellent sniper, and this would affect the gameplay experience.
- Romeo shows distaste for using a sniper rifle inside a Covenant ship. Ironically, in the level The Truth and Reconciliation in Halo: Combat Evolved, sniper rifle ammunition can be found aboard the eponymous vessel.
- The story of Agu's enlistment is similar to that of Felicia Sanderson, another ODST. Sanderson claimed that she was forced to enlist in the Colonial Military Administration after being caught in a romantic relationship with the daughter of Nils Thune, the governor of Harvest. While this event actually occurred, it was not, as she claimed, the actual reason for her enlistment.
Romeo as he appeared in ONI Candidate Assessment Program V5.02A.
A Halo 3: ODST render of Romeo with his SRS99D.
Romeo in New Mombasa.
Romeo's avatar, as seen on Bungie.net when viewing Halo 3: ODST's service records.
Romeo in Halo: Helljumper.
 List of appearances
- ^ a b c d e Halo Encyclopedia, page 61
- ^ Halo 3: ODST ViDoc: Desperate Measures
- ^ Halo: Helljumper, Issue 2
- ^ a b Bungie.net: Meet The Squad
- ^ ONI Candidate Assessment Program V5.02A/Romeo
- ^ Halo: Helljumper
- ^ Halo Waypoint: Into Hell 1
- ^ Halo 3: ODST, campaign level Prepare to Drop
- ^ Halo 3: ODST, campaign level Tayari Plaza
- ^ Halo 3: ODST campaign level, NMPD HQ
- ^ Halo 3: ODST campaign level, Coastal Highway
- ^ Halo 3: ODST, Firefight character description
- ^ Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe, Dirt, page ???
| Dare's Squad|
Orbital Drop Shock Troopers
|Capt. Veronica Dare | GySgt. Edward Buck | Cpl. Taylor "Dutch" Miles | LCpl. Kojo "Romeo" Agu | LCpl. "Rookie" | PFC Michael "Mickey" Crespo|