Date of death:
|Political and military information|
- "Noble Six. The team's most recent addition... my, my. So much black ink..."
- —Dr. Catherine Halsey
Lieutenant SPARTAN-B312 was a SPARTAN-III commando of the UNSC Naval Special Warfare Command, attached to Special Warfare Group Three of the UNSC Army. This Spartan served during the Fall of Reach as a member of NOBLE Team under the call sign "Noble Six".
 Early career
Because the Spartan's file was heavily redacted by the Office of Naval Intelligence, much of SPARTAN-B312's early life is unknown. It is known that SPARTAN-B312 was taken out of Beta Company immediately after training in May 2545, two months before Operation: TORPEDO.
 Later career
- "Six has made entire militia groups disappear. Curious... "hyper lethal". There's only one other Spartan with that rating."
- —Dr. Catherine Halsey
Over the course of B312's career, the Spartan gained a reputation as an efficient lone-wolf assassin, having single-handedly broken terrorist organizations and made entire insurrectionist groups disappear. B312 was also a test pilot in a top-secret UNSC project, the Sabre Program, which resulted in the development of the YSS-1000 Sabre space fighter. B312 used these skills to great effect in a counter-insurgency operation on Mamore on May 10, 2552, thus gaining the approval of Colonel Urban Holland and resulting in the Spartan's assignment to NOBLE Team. Despite the Spartan's hardened combat record, 312 had never witnessed a glassing prior to the Fall of Reach.
At one point, B312's superior, presumably Colonel James Ackerson, allegedly used the Spartan as "his own private grim reaper"; because of this, he was reluctant to have B312 assigned to NOBLE Team.[note 1] On July 24, 2552, SPARTAN-B312 was assigned to NOBLE Team as a replacement for its previous sixth member, Thom-293. Six, having recently arrived on Reach, joined the team just in time to participate in an operation to investigate a communications blackout at the Visegrád Relay, a mission which led to the first confrontation with Covenant forces on the planet.
 Fall of Reach
- Main article: Fall of Reach
During the weeks before Reach's eventual glassing, Noble Six partook in multiple operations against Covenant forces on Reach along with the rest of NOBLE Team, including a counter-offensive operation to retake the Office of Naval Intelligence's Sword Base near the Babd Catha Ice Shelf on July 26. Noble Six, along with Catherine-B320, cleared the courtyard of enemies and were then sent on a mission to re-activate Farragut Station, a communications station they could use to get into contact with command, and Airview Base, where they needed to activate an M71 "Scythe" anti-air battery to eliminate hostile aircraft. The SPARTANs moved into Sword Base and Noble Six assisted Emile-A239 in driving off several Phantoms and Banshees. After the skies had been cleared, the attacking Covenant corvette was destroyed by one of Reach's orbital defense platforms. After the mission, NOBLE Team was debriefed by Dr. Catherine Halsey, who questioned them about what had happened at the Visegrad Relay two days previously.
On August 11, Noble Six and Jun-A266, operating as Recon Team Bravo, were sent to perform a night-time reconnaissance mission to reconnoiter the Covenant "dark zone" in the Viery Territory. After stealthily eliminating guards at multiple outposts, the two SPARTANs met a group of civilian militiamen, who led them to a hydroelectric power plant farther within the dark zone; there, the team discovered a Covenant stealth pylon. After planting an explosive charge on the pylon, the team moved deeper into the dark zone, where they discovered a massive Covenant invasion force. Kat then ordered them back so they could prepare for the attack on the next day.
On the morning of August 12, Noble Six joined a massive UNSC joint assault force put together with the objective of mounting a counterattack on the Covenant-occupied Viery Territory. Auntie Dot, NOBLE Team's coordinating artificial intelligence construct, explained that the Covenant had infiltrated to the region in force, deploying ground forces and installations, including several massive "spires". NOBLE Team's objective was to destroy one of these spires, designated Spire One. After pushing through Covenant forces at Szurdok Ridge and destroying several Covenant anti-air batteries, Jorge-052 and Noble Six were deployed to the spire in a UH-144 Falcon. However, the aircraft crashed after being disabled by the electromagnetic field created by the spire's shield. After the crash, the pair proceed toward the spire, soon discovering that the structures housed teleporters used to transport Covenant forces to the surface, linked to an unknown source. After infiltrating the spire, Noble Six disabled the structure's shield. Noble Six was flown away from the tower by a Falcon containing Carter-A259 - NOBLE Team's field commander - and Jorge. The UNSC Grafton, a heavy frigate, demolished the spire with a single Magnetic Accelerator Cannon round. Seconds later, a Covenant supercarrier uncloaked and fired on the Grafton, destroying it.
On August 14th, NOBLE Team made a plan to destroy the supercarrier, Long Night of Solace, with an improvised bomb made from a slipspace drive in a UNSC counter-offensive codenamed Operation: UPPER CUT. As the plan was put in motion, NOBLE Team first helped UNSC ground forces repel Covenant invaders from the secret Sabre Program Launch/Research Range. SPARTAN-B312 and Jorge were then launched into orbit aboard a YSS-1000 Sabre. Soon, the pair joined UNSC forces in defending the repair and refit station Anchor 9. After the station's defenses were brought back online and the Covenant attackers retreated, 312 and the other Sabres in the group followed the UNSC Savannah, whose crew had committed their slipspace drive to the operation, toward Ardent Prayer, a Covenant corvette that was scheduled to refuel with the supercarrier. Soon, 312 and several other UNSC boarders infiltrated the craft, proceeding toward the vessel's bridge. During the operation, the makeshift slipspace bomb was damaged and became incapable of automatic activation. Jorge, volunteering to activate the bomb manually and thus sacrifice his life, forced B312 off the corvette just before it docked with the supercarrier; the operation was a success, however, as Ardent Prayer was completely destroyed and Long Night of Solace was split amidships, crashing to into a mountain range on the planet below. Unfortunately, a far larger Covenant fleet arrived moments after the operation.
After reentering Reach from space, Noble Six headed to New Alexandria; after arriving on August 23, the SPARTAN assisted UNSC Army troopers in repelling Covenant forces and evacuating the civilian population. The SPARTAN managed to establish radio communication with NOBLE Team and participated in the removal of Covenant communication jammers to allow the evacuation of ONI personnel. The same evening, Six reunited with NOBLE Team and reported the details of UPPER CUT. After clearing the jammers, NOBLE Team was hailed by Colonel Holland and was ordered to destroy Sword Base. Soon, the team was forced to enter a radiation bunker to shield themselves from the Covenant's glassing of New Alexandria. Kat was killed en route to the bunker.
On August 29, SPARTAN-B312 and the remaining members of NOBLE Team proceeded to Sword Base and fought their way into the facility, only to have their directives revised by an unknown UNSC AI. In the facility, they encountered Dr. Halsey once more. Halsey urged Six to become the courier of a fragment of the AI Cortana and to deliver it safely to the UNSC Pillar of Autumn. NOBLE Team was then split in two; Jun escorted Dr. Halsey to ONI CASTLE Base, while the others headed for the Autumn aboard a Pelican.
 Last stand
- Marine: "Lieutenant, get aboard! We gotta get the hell out of here!"
- Noble Six: "Negative. I have the gun. Good luck, sir."
- Captain Keyes: "...Good luck to you, Spartan."
- —Noble Six's last conversation, before securing the Autumn's safe passage.
After arriving within a few kilometers of the Pillar of Autumn's drydock at Aszod the next day, NOBLE Team's Pelican was attacked by Covenant Banshees. Six and Emile departed from the Pelican and Carter soon sacrificed his life to protect Six and Emile from a Scarab. Later, on foot, the surviving SPARTANs successfully delivered the package to the commanding officer of the Pillar of Autumn, Captain Jacob Keyes. However, Covenant forces assaulted the area and killed Emile. Six manned the "Onager" mass driver the Autumn's Marine complement had installed and prevented the Covenant forces from overwhelming the vessel. The SPARTAN prevented an approaching CCS-class battlecruiser from firing at the Autumn, allowing the latter vessel to safely depart into space.
With the Covenant having successfully disabled Reach's defenses, SPARTAN-B312 was among the few surviving UNSC soldiers left fighting the Covenant forces on the ground. Stranded on the Covenant-occupied planet, the SPARTAN escaped the drydocks on foot, moving towards nearby hills, but was surrounded by Covenant air and ground forces. Six was eventually heavily wounded by plasma fire, yet continued to fight even after being disarmed. After taking on an entire swarm of Sangheili and Unggoy, B312 was finally overwhelmed and killed amongst a pile of the SPARTAN's slain enemies.
 Personality and background
- "I've seen your file. Even the parts the ONI censors didn't want me to. I'm glad to have your skill set, but we're a team. That lone wolf stuff stays behind."
- —Carter to Noble Six.
SPARTAN-B312 was remarked to have been a skilled assassin and "...more of a hyper-lethal vector than a soldier," as evident by the Spartan's heavily redacted personnel file. Noble Six had a tendency to "go solo" during missions, much to the dismay of the Spartan's superiors. Having destroyed a CCS-class battlecruiser single-handed during the Battle of Aszod, two SDV-class heavy corvettes during the Siege of New Alexandria and UPPER CUT, destroying entire Insurrectionist cells, in addition to killing innumerable Covenant personnel prior to and during the Fall of Reach, SPARTAN-B312 likely holds one of the highest kill counts of any individual Spartan, by at least several thousand. The destruction of Long Night of Solace during Operation: UPPER CUT, though not an individual effort, would drastically increase this number; only the joint Spartan-AI team that destroyed Unyielding Hierophant during Operation: FIRST STRIKE and Admiral Preston Cole's induced nova of Viperidae during the Battle of Psi Serpentis are likely to have caused more Covenant losses during such a brief engagement.
Despite having an obscure past, hyper-lethal skills, and a "lone wolf" personality, Noble Six showed care and compassion for fellow humans, taking life-threatening actions to assist soldiers, civilians, and the other members of NOBLE Team. Although Six became fairly close to the other members of NOBLE Team, the Spartan shared a great deal of camaraderie with Jorge, and the two soon became friends; this inspired Jorge to give his life in Noble Six's place.
SPARTAN-B312 is the main protagonist in Halo: Reach. To integrate player relation with the character, players can pick what gender they wish Noble Six to be, with separately recorded voices for each gender. The player's character model is used in the campaign, multiplayer, and Firefight, allowing players to better integrate themselves with the character.
 Armor and equipment
The original version of Noble Six was male, wearing a Mark V [B] helmet with an Up-Armor plate, no shoulder pauldrons, no chest attachment, a wrist-mounted UGPS, no leg attachment, FJ/PARA knee guards, and colored steel. As it became apparent that Noble Six's appearance and gender would be entirely customizable, the SPARTAN's armor was changed to fully default armor in most promotional material afterwards. When displayed in most recent promotional material, SPARTAN-B312 is portrayed as having the default MJOLNIR Mark V armor with the Mark V[B] helmet and steel coloration. This is done to avoid portraying Noble Six as a character outside the player's control, as Noble Six's appearance depends on the player's armor customization and gender choice. The only exceptions to this are when a screenshot was released to prove that cutscenes would display player customization, and in recent concept art wallpapers, where Noble Six is shown with a variety of different armor combinations. However, the Noble Six action figure was not redesigned with fully default armor.
In the Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, the main render image of Spartan-B312 on the Noble Six page is equipped with a never-seen-before armor combination: UA/Base Security [W] chest plate with FJ/PARA shoulder pauldrons and knee guards.
In Halo: Reach, none of the members of NOBLE Team can be fully imitated in terms of armor coloring and configuration. This is likely because the player's configuration is treated as Noble Six. Allowing SPARTAN-B312 to have the exact same configuration as anyone else on the team would be confusing in Campaign. However, it is possible to get very close to certain other NOBLE Team members, notably Carter.
|Check out our collection of quotes related to SPARTAN-B312 on its quotes page.|
- The male Noble Six was voiced by Philip Anthony-Rodriguez, while Amanda Philipson provided the character's female voice.
- Noble Six's voice is available by default as a Firefight voice; however, SPARTAN-B312 has no dialogue. The SPARTAN only chuckles when achieving headshots and killing multiple enemies and grunts when hurt.
- SPARTAN-B312 is neither shown on the box art of Halo: Reach nor featured in any promotional image of NOBLE Team. This was done to avoid portraying Noble Six as outside the players' control, preventing them from building a definitive mental image for the character, as Noble Six's armor and even gender can vary depending on the player's choice.
- On the " " painting drawn for Christmas 2010 by Bungie, Noble Six is fully default, but has a Hard Case leg attachment. This is the only time an official verison of Six has had a leg attachment. Six also appears to be female.
- In the opening cutscene of Exodus, Noble Six looks at his/her wrist (regardless of what attachment is equipped) and heads off toward the city. This is because the original version of Six wore the U/GPS attachment, and that is what the SPARTAN would be using to figure out where to go.
- In the Video Games Awards trailer, Jorge-052 remarks "Didn't think anyone survived Pegasi, sir" upon seeing Noble Six for the first time, in reference to Operation: TORPEDO, a mission on Pegasi Delta which led to Beta Company's near-total annihilation. This line is not present in the final game, as it was later established that SPARTAN-B312 did not take part in the operation, having been taken out of Beta Company directly after training.
- SPARTAN-B312 is the only member of NOBLE Team whose helmet is not available as an Avatar Award. Instead, the SPARTAN's helmet was only obtainable from Comic-Con 2010 and for a limited time through a special Xbox Live Gold offer.
- Noble Six is one of three playable characters whose face is not shown, the others being John-117 and the Rookie. While briefly helmetless at the beginning and end of the game, the SPARTAN's face is outside the frame of the screen.
- Noble Six's "lone wolf" background may be a reference to the fact that Halo: Reach is the first Halo game to feature extensive squad gameplay; Halo 3: ODST also features a squad, though the player character is alone for much of the game.
- In Halo: Reach, Initial Spawn Points used in Forge show a SPARTAN-III holding a Magnum. The Spartan is not seen in the game, but could possibly be Noble Six's planned armor. The SPARTAN-III is male, wears the base MARK V [B] helmet, a CQC pauldron for his left shoulder and a Mark V for his right, the default Mark V [B] chest, the TACPAD on his wrist, the TACTICAL/TRAUMA KIT as a utility and FJ/PARA knee guards. His visor and armor colors are unknown.
An Xbox 360 avatar with default Noble Six gear.
Noble Six sprinting, equipped with the FJ/PARA knees.
Noble Six aiming an M392 DMR.
Noble Six engaging a group of Unggoy.
Noble Six readies a rocket launcher.
Noble Six shoots down Banshees at SWORD Base.
Noble Six jumps off Spire One into Jorge's hand.
Noble Six looks on at the wreckage of the Long Night of Solace.
Noble Six shooting at a sniper using Kat's sidearm.
Noble Six's cracked helmet, thirty-seven years after his death.
 List of appearances
- Halo: Reach (First appearance)
- ^ No source has confirmed that SPARTAN-B312's superior was Ackerson, though this is likely. Soon after Operation: TORPEDO, Ackerson attempted to have Tom-B292 placed under his direct command to perform private black operations, though Kurt-051 refused to allow this. It is likely that Ackerson acquired the services of SPARTAN-B312 instead.
- ^ a b c Halo: Reach, campaign level Lone Wolf
- ^ a b c d Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 130
- ^ a b Halo: Reach ViDoc: A Spartan Will Rise
- ^ a b c d Bungie.net: SPARTAN-312 Personnel Profile
- ^ Halo: Reach: Video Games Award Trailer
- ^ Bungie.net: Beta Company Assessment
- ^ Halo: Reach: E3 Campaign Demo
- ^ Bungie.net: Halo: Reach E3 2010 Trailer
- ^ Halo: Reach Game Manual
- ^ a b c Halo: Reach, campaign level New Alexandria
- ^ a b Halo: Reach, campaign level Noble Actual
- ^ Halo: Reach, campaign level Winter Contingency
- ^ Halo: Reach, campaign level ONI: Sword Base
- ^ Halo: Reach, campaign level Nightfall
- ^ Halo: Reach, campaign level Tip of The Spear
- ^ Halo: Reach, campaign level Long Night of Solace
- ^ a b Halo: Reach, campaign level The Package
- ^ a b Halo: Reach, campaign level The Pillar of Autumn
- ^ Bungie.net: BWU 03.05.10
- ^ Halo: Reach, Credits
|Carter-A259 • Catherine-B320 • Jun-A266 • Emile-A239 • Jorge-052 • SPARTAN-B312 • Thom-293|