Halo Wars 2
"WE'VE GOT A NEW CONTACT, UNKNOWN CLASSIFICATION!"This article has new content coming soon, and may not be complete, confirmed or correct. Please update it as soon as any relevant and accurate material is available.
|This article is about an upcoming work. Editors must cite sources for all contributions to this article. Edits that do not follow this standard will be reverted without notice. For more information, see the Citation Policy.|
|Halo Wars 2|
- "Know your enemy."
- —Official tagline
Halo Wars 2 is an upcoming real-time strategy video game and a direct sequel to Halo Wars, developed by both Creative Assembly and 343 Industries and published by Microsoft Studios. It was first revealed at Gamescom 2015 with a teaser trailer. The game will be released simultaneously on Windows 10 and Xbox One on February 21, 2017, and was playable at E3 2016.
- 1 Plot
- 2 Gameplay
- 3 Appearances
- 4 Development
- 5 Marketing and merchandise
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Sources
- 8 External links
- "There's a sense of scale and scale that I think was maybe missing from Halo Wars."
- —Frank O'Connor
Halo Wars 2 takes place twenty-eight years after the events of Halo Wars in 2531, after Phoenix-class colony ship UNSC Spirit of Fire had floated adrift in space for decades and declared by the rest of the United Nations Space Command as "lost with all hands". The remaining crew of Spirit of Fire are awoken from cryo-sleep above the Forerunners' Installation 00, previously the setting for Halo 3. Led by Captain James Cutter, the crew of Spirit of Fire encounter the violent mercenary faction known as The Banished, led by the cunning Jiralhanae warlord Atriox. Having previously battled the Covenant, the Banished rose to power in wake of the empire's fall in 2552 by gaining control of numerous assets from the Covenant.
According to franchise director Frank O'Connor, a primary theme of the game is two commanders from two very different backgrounds facing off against each other in an attempt to gain control of Installation 00. The crew of Spirit of Fire, having been in cryo-sleep since 2531, are unaware of the nature of the installation nor do they know the result of the Human-Covenant War. In an effort to return home, Cutter leads the ship's crew to the surface of Installation 00 to search for a way to reconnect with the rest of the UNSC. It is at this time that the crew encounter Atriox and The Banished. While Halo Wars 2 will tonally feel like a direct continuation of Halo Wars, managing director Kevin Grace claims that the game will have a similar tone to Halo: Combat Evolved, as the game's setting is primarily contained within one location.
The multiplayer mode will feature a number of gamemodes and will support up to six players, one for each leader in the game; known leaders are Captain James Cutter and Atriox. Skirmish allows players, through solo or cooperative play, to battle against AIs with a range of difficulty levels. Strongholds is a fast-paced, timed gamemode where players must control more bases than their opponent when the timer stops to win. Domination centers around players building bases, armies, and battling for control of the map. Deathmatch will also involve players building up their own bases and armies, though players battle to eliminate one another rather than taking control of the map. Blitz will be a new gamemode with an unique approach to RTS gameplay.
- This section needs expansion. You can help Halopedia by .
- The Signal
- A New Enemy - "Captain Cutter dispatches a strike team to launch an attack against Atriox's lieutenant, Decimus."
- Ascension - "Spartan Jerome and his forces fight through Banished fortifications on the way to the Cartographer."
- One Three Zero - "Rescue UNSC prisoners with Alice-130 from deep behind enemy lines."
- Main article: Blitz
In Blitz, players contest control points by positioning their forces over particular areas of the map. When one team holds more control points than the other, they start accumulating points until the balance is redressed. The first team to hit 200 points, or the highest scoring team after 12 minutes wins the game.
Technology and equipment
After the announcement of Halo Wars 2, Creative Assembly went on to publicly advertise positions working on the game.
- This section needs expansion. You can help Halopedia by .
Marketing and merchandise
Halo Wars 2 Announce Trailer
- Main article: Halo Wars 2: Announce Teaser
On August 4, 2015, at Gamescom 2015, Halo Wars 2 was first announced by Bonnie Ross. The Halo Wars 2: Announce Trailer is a pre-rendered trailer showcasing Halo Wars 2. The trailer was created and produced by Blur Studio, in collaboration with 343 Industries and Creative Assembly. It was directed by Blur Studio's Dave Wilson.
Around August to November 4, 2015, for the numerous parties involved in Halo Wars 2, Jeremy Cook, Art Director at 343 Industries, made 3, 9 inch, statues of Atriox, who was featured in the announcement trailer. The statues were made using the very detailed highpoly meshes Blur studio made, and the statues are fully colored, the skin and hair is blue and grey, and armor is metallic.
The first statue was finished sometime before August 21. The second bust was finished during a power cut on September 1, and was given to Creative Assembly, The third and final statue was colored using a Valejo airbrush primer, with its color blended in so it can be detailed and highlighted, to finally be finished on November 4, and was given to Blur Studios.
Halo Wars 2 toys
On February 12, 2016, numerous toys were announced with the start of a partnership with Mattel. Two of which were the MegaBloks Jackrabbit, and the Boomco Type-25 Spiker set to be featured in Halo Wars 2.
Halo War 2 Open Beta
- Main article: Halo Wars 2 Open Beta
During E3 2016 it was announced that between June 13 and June 20, 2016 a open beta for Halo Wars 2 would be available. The beta was later extended an additional three days. Another Beta for both Xbox One and Windows 10 will be available closer to the game's full launch.
- Main article: Halo Wars 2 RTX 2016 Trailer
Know Your Enemy
- Main article: Halo Wars 2 ViDoc: Know Your Enemy
A ViDoc was shown on July 22, 2016, after 343 Industries' panel at SDCC 2016, and it focused on the story and characters of the game.
- Main article: Halo Wars 2 ViDoc: Multiplayer
The ViDoc was shown on October 19, 2016, and its focused on Halo Wars 2's multiplayer, including the first look to the new gamemode Blitz.
- Main article: Halo Wars 2 Atriox Trailer
A cinematic trailer for Halo Wars 2 was revealed on December 2, 2016 at Game Awards 2016, and it focused on the story of Atriox and the Banished.
Development model of an ODST.
Announcement trailer images
Douglas-042 gets his left shoulder crushed by Atriox.
Marketing and merchandise images
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l Halo Waypoint: Halo Wars 2
- ^ YouTube: Halo Wars 2 Official E3 Trailer
- ^ a b Halo Waypoint: The Hog Wild Req Drop
- ^ a b c GameSpot: Halo Wars 2 New Story Details and Images Revealed
- ^ Halo Wars Timeline Events
- ^ a b YouTube: Halo Wars 2: Behind the Scenes
- ^ a b Eurogamer.net: Halo Wars 2 release date set for February
- ^ Youtube: 15 Minutes of Halo Wars 2 Gameplay - E3 2016
- ^ HALO WARS 2 CAMPAIGN GAMEPLAY | EXCLUSIVE BEHIND CLOSED DOORS MISSION
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z aa ab ac ad ae af ag ah ai aj ak E3 2016, Microsoft press conference
- ^ a b c d e RTX 2016
- ^ IGN: Halo Wars 2 Developer Interview - IGN Live: E3 201
- ^ a b c YouTube: Halo Wars 2 Story Vidoc
- ^ a b Gamestop: Halo Wars 2: New Character Images and Details Revealed
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l m n Halo Wars 2 Open Beta
- ^ Twitter: Halo Wars 2, ODST
- ^ YouTube: SDCC 2016 Halo Wars 2 Panel
- ^ YouTube: 15 Minutes of Halo Wars 2 Gameplay - E3 2016
- ^ Blur.com: Halo Wars 2
- ^ Creative Assembly's website Halo Wars Jobs
- ^ Blur.com: Halo Wars 2: Announce Trailer
- ^ Jeremy Cook's Twitter - Statue info 1
- ^ Jeremy Cook's Twitter - Statue info 2
- ^ Jeremy Cook's Twitter - 1st Statue info
- ^ Jeremy Cook's Twitter - 2nd Statue info
- ^ Jeremy Cook's Twitter - 3rd Statue info
- ^ Xbox Wire - 343 Industries and Mattel Sign Master Licensing Agreement, Introduce New Halo Toys
- ^ a b YouTube: - Halo Wars 2 Official E3 Trailer
- ^ Gamespot: Another Halo Wars 2 Beta is coming with a new mode
- ^ YouTube: Halo Wars 2 - RTX 2016 Cinematic Trailer
- ^ Gamespot: "New Halo Wars 2 Trailer Revealed and Halo 5 Forge Getting File Browser"
- ^ Halo Waypoint - SDCC: What's on the Menu?
- ^ Halo Waypoint - Community Update: Brute Force