Date of birth:
February 28th, 2524
210.5 centimetres (6 ft 10.9 in)
111.1 kilograms (245 lb)
|Political and military information|
- "In recognition of this, his tireless diligence, we honor him as the vigilant eye of Noble."
- —The Monument to Noble Team
Warrant Officer Jun-A266 is a SPARTAN-III commando of the UNSC Naval Special Warfare Command, attached to Special Warfare Group Three of the UNSC Army. He fought as a part of Noble Team as Noble Three during the Fall of Reach in 2552.
Jun was born in 2524 on Tyumen, New Harmony. Conscripted as a part of Alpha Company, in 2531, early on he stood out from the rest of the group, enough for LCDR Kurt-051 and SCPO Franklin Mendez to take note of his exceptional skill. He was deemed too valuable to be wasted on suicide missions, and was soon extracted from the company along with several other candidates who showed promise. Before the demise of the rest of Alpha Company in Operation: PROMETHEUS, Jun and the other extracted Spartans were assigned to other units, and given more advanced equipment than the mainline SPARTAN-IIIs to make them more efficient in the battlefield.
 Fall of Reach
On July 24th, 2552, Noble Team was sent to investigate a disturbance at the Visegrad Relay. During the operation, Jun spotted targets for the team from a UH-144 Falcon, providing intel on enemy and friendly troop deployments. After they were engaged by Covenant forces, Jun, Emile and Kat flew directly to the relay to get it back operational and send a message to Colonel Holland.
Two days later, the team was deployed to defend ONI's Sword Base near the Babd Catha Ice Shelf, which was under siege by Covenant forces. While Kat and Noble Six were defending the base's exterior, Jun and the rest of the team made their way to the base's main atrium. After the main threat was neutralized, the team was debriefed by Dr. Halsey.
On August 12, Jun and SPARTAN-B312, designated Recon Team Bravo, participated in a reconnaissance operation to assess the Covenant force deployments in the Viery Territory on Reach. They made their way through several Covenant outposts and discovered a Covenant stealth pylon, to which Jun planted an explosive charge. They then proceeded further into Covenant-occupied territory and discovered a massive Covenant ground force massing in a plain. They informed UNSC command, and mounted a counterattack the next morning. Afterward, Noble Team split up, performing different operations to defend the planet. When most of the Noble Team members went to Farkas Lake to initiate Operation: UPPER CUT, Jun, in a Falcon, extracted Noble One and Two from the YSS-1000 Sabre launch facility.
After the Siege of New Alexandria on August 23, Noble Team regrouped in the now-compromised Olympic Tower in New Alexandria. After Holland contacted the team to assign them to a new mission, the Covenant began glassing the city dangerously close to Noble Team's position. As the SPARTANs fled, Kat was killed by a Sangheili marksman. The survivors attempted to kill the Sangheili, to no avail. On August 26th, Noble Team emerged from a fallout bunker beneath the ruins of the Olympic Tower to be picked up by a Pelican.
On August 29th, the remaining members of Noble Team were sent to the Covenant-occupied remnants of Sword Base; they were to demolish the base in order to prevent Halsey's excavation data from falling into Covenant hands. Jun, Emile and Carter remained in a UH-144 Falcon while Noble Six and a team of ODSTs eliminated a pair of Covenant anti-aircraft emplacements. After the cannons were disabled, Noble Team fought their way into the interior of the base. Once they arrived at the designated coordinates, which seemed to be a dead end with no load-bearing structures, Auntie Dot revealed that the team had been given a new objective. They were to rendezvous with Dr. Halsey over a kilometer away and 2,000 feet below ground.
The team soon arrived at a Forerunner complex beneath the ice shelf. Halsey insisted upon the importance of the site and demanded Noble Team's support while she completed transferring critical data in her laboratory. Jun and the other SPARTANs defended Halsey's lab from several waves of Covenant forces, who had found an entrance to the ruins. Eventually, Halsey ushered the SPARTANs inside, where she revealed the data she had transferred: a fragment of the AI Cortana that carried a "latchkey" discovery found in the ruins. She ordered Noble Team to escort the "package" to the UNSC Pillar of Autumn, a Halcyon-class Cruiser that was drydocked at the ship-breaking yards in Aszod.
 Current status
- Carter-A259: "Jun, make sure nothing falls into enemy hands."
- Jun-A266: "I'll do what's necessary, sir... Good luck."
- —Jun's last known words as he parts ways with NOBLE Team.
Once the team emerged from the cavern below Sword Base, Jun was ordered to escort Dr. Catherine Halsey to ONI CASTLE Base. He was ordered to protect Halsey and the secrets she possessed from falling into Covenant hands. When SPARTAN Red Team rendezvoused with Halsey at CASTLE Base the following day, Jun was nowhere to be found.[note 1]
 Traits and personality
- "I kill the enemy, but do not hate them."
- —When previewing Jun's voice in the Armory
He is regarded as "rock solid under pressure" and has shown symptoms of post-traumatic stress in the past. He is a thoughtful and taciturn soldier, but he is also noted as being "chatty", sometimes to a degree considered against noise discipline protocols. This is often overlooked in the field by his peers however, due to the informational bent of his chatter. In a psychiatric evaluation on 15/12/2549, he was noted as having "an unhealthy emotional detachment in regards to the consequences of his actions". Colonel Urban Holland, who later evaluated the members of Noble Team, disagreed with this assertion, commenting that Jun is a rationalist, and also a SPARTAN.
Jun wears a MJOLNIR Mark V/Scout helmet with an HU/RS upgrade with a orange/brown colored visor. He wears a Tactical/Patrol chest piece with an additional back-pack which is unavailable for purchase currently, and Sniper shoulder pauldrons with his combat knife on his right shoulder (also unavailable for purchase currently) and spare sniper rifle rounds on his left shoulder. He wears a Tactical/UGPS unit on his left forearm and FJ/PARA knee guards. His weapon of choice is the Sniper Rifle System 99 Anti-Matériel.
|Check out our collection of quotes related to Jun-A266 on its quotes page.|
- Jun shared his home world with Catherine-B320.
- Jun was voiced by Sunil Malhotra.
- Jun's voice can be used in Halo: Reach's Firefight mode for 10,000 credits.
- Jun's helmet is available as an avatar award and is obtained by killing 100 enemies in a row without dying in either campaign or Firefight. This is the easiest avatar award helmet to unlock, due to the invulnerability option in Firefight.
- Jun has a tattoo of a hand grasping three spears next to his left ear. The tattoo has several marked similarities with the symbol of the SPARTAN-II Program. The emblem also bears some resemblance to the Bungie crest.
- Jun's number is a reference to Bungie's love of the number seven (2+6+6=14/2=7)
- Jun's name is similar to the the pinyin spelling for the Chinese word jǖn, which means "military".
- During Halo Waypoint's exploration and background explanation on the Defiant Map Pack, three dead Spartans wearing armor identical to Jun can be seen in the remains of a destroyed Pelican on the level Highlands. The appearance of these Spartans is non-canonical.
- Jun is featured within a GamesRadar article called Gaming's baldest space marines.
- Jun is the protagonist of the fan-made graphic novel Halo: A Fistful of Arrows, written and drawn by Levi "Leviathan" Hoffmeier, which is named in reference to Jun's tattoo. In a conversation between Bungie employee Martin O'Donnell and Hoffmeier on the halo.bungie.org forums, O'Donnell joked that "[...] Jun tripped and broke his neck on the way to escorting Halsey off Reach [and] he's dead." Hoffmeier then drew a short comic strip depicting the event, which referenced the difficulty of achieving the "If They Came to Hear Me Beg" achievement and many players' confusion upon Jorge calling Halsey "ma'am" with a Northern English accent, which sounds like "mom" in American English.
 List of appearances
- ^ As Jun is not mentioned in Halo: First Strike, it is possible that he was incapacitated or killed before Red Team met Halsey at CASTLE Base. In the Halo: Reach Legendary Edition developer commentary, Martin O'Donnell and Lee Wilson jokingly state that "the sequel" tells the story of Jun and Halsey's escape, and of their children, who are "very smart snipers". At Comic Con 2011, Frank O'Connor stated, "Jun's fate may not ever be discovered."
- ^ a b Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 104
- ^ Bungie.net: Communique from Kurt to Mendez
- ^ Halo: Reach - Spike TV 2009 Video Game Awards Trailer
- ^ GameInformer: February Edition
- ^ Halo: Reach, campaign level Winter Contingency - "Skeleton Crew"
- ^ Halo: Reach, campaign level ONI: Sword Base - "The Office of Naval Intelligence"
- ^ Halo: Reach, campaign level Nightfall
- ^ Halo: Reach, campaign level Long Night of Solace - "First Floor: Aliens, Beaches, Secret Launch Stations"
- ^ Halo: Reach, campaign level New Alexandria - "Last One Out... Turn Out the Lights"
- ^ a b Halo: Reach, campaign level The Package - "This Cave is Not a Natural Formation"
- ^ Bungie.net: Jun-A266 Personnel Profile
- ^ Halo: Reach, Credits
- ^ Google Translate: jǖn
- ^ GamesRadar: Gaming's baldest space marines
- ^ leviathan.bungie.org: A Fistful of Arrows
- ^ HBO Forums: Well since you outed me: FoA- THE END *IMG
|Carter-A259 • Catherine-B320 • Jun-A266 • Emile-A239 • Jorge-052 • SPARTAN-B312 • Thom-293|