Sanghelios is the homeworld of the Sangheili species. Sanghelios is the fourth planet in the Urs system, a triple star system containing Urs, Fied, and Joori. The planet has two moons called Qikost and Suban.
Sanghelios has a gravity of 1.375 Gs, and an average surface temperature of -5°C to 96°C (23°F to 204.8°F). The Bestiarum indicates that Sanghelios is similar to Earth in shape and proportion, though the land masses are more scattered in relation to bodies of water. Like Earth, its atmosphere consists of oxygen, carbon dioxide and nitrogen, but also has a reddish hue to it, perhaps indicating large amounts of hematite or molten rock. The oceans are tinted red.
Many Forerunner artifacts and structures exist on the planet, which are the topic of worship, as well as the cause of historical wars between the Sangheili and the San 'Shyuum before the formation of the Covenant.
Being a homeworld, the planet is inhabited by approximately 8.132 billion Sangheili. As with the nature of Sangheili governments in general, Sanghelios has no global capital and most of the planet's inhabitants live in states led by and named after a particular Sangheili family. These states vary greatly in size and wealth, ranging from small, rural ones to urban city-states like Ontom, which mix old Sangheili architecture and modern, Covenant-era structures. Outside the cities, Sanghelios' landscape has stayed mostly unchanged for several millennia; the terrain is mostly agricultural, and the keeps mostly follow ancient, pre-Covenant architectural styles.
- Fal 'Chavamee
- Han 'Chavamee
- Thel 'Vadam
- Usze ‘Taham
- Toha ‘Sumai
- Rtas 'Vadum
- Avu Med 'Telcam
- Jul ‘Mdama
- Levu 'Mdama
- Raia 'Mdama
- The name "Sanghelios" comes from the Latin sanguis and the Greek helios meaning "Blood-Sun". It is implied that this may refer to the emphasis on blood in the culture of the warrior Sangheili that live there.
- In the Doctor Who episode "Planet of the Dead", the planet they are teleported to is called San Helios, which is also part of a triple star system.
- In Halo: The Cole Protocol, Sanghelios is mistakenly referred to as "Sanghelion" in chapter headings.
A duel between Fal 'Chavamee and a rivaling Sangheili in forest terrain on Sanghelios.
Sanghelios as seen in the Bestiarum.
List of appearances
- Halo 3 (First mentioned)
- Bestiarum (First appearance)
- Halo: The Cole Protocol
- Halo Legends
- Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe
- The Return (Mentioned only)
- Halo: Blood Line
- Halo: Glasslands
- Halo: The Thursday War