Armor permutations (Halo 3: ODST)
Halo 3: ODST features a simplistic armor customization where one can play as each member of the squad having their own unique aesthetic Bungie-created armor. Players can choose primary and secondary armor colors, but the armor's main color remains the same (dark gray). Players can also choose whether or not to wear a helmet, unless they are playing as the Rookie or Sergeant Johnson, who cannot remove his helmet and cannot put one on, respectively. Choosing not to wear a helmet does not affect gameplay. Without a helmet, the player still has the same health and stamina, and they can still use VISR mode. Each character has their own unique lines of dialogue which play during gameplay.
 List of permutations
- Rookie: Unlocked by default.
- Dare: Complete the Campaign on Legendary.
- Buck: Unlock the Tayari Plaza Achievement.
- Dutch: Unlock the Uplift Reserve Achievement.
- Romeo: Unlock the NMPD HQ Achievement.
- Mickey: Unlock the Kizingo Boulevard Achievement.
- Sergeant Johnson: Came with the pre-order of Halo 3: ODST.