|“||Catherine Halsey is interrogated deep within a secret ONI facility.||”|
Open on a line of beds. They are made of plastic, with no sheets, and are enclosed by glass walls. Children inside them are sleeping. Pan to a boy sitting on one of the beds. His head is shaved and he wears a grey uniform that reads "John". He looks up at his viewer, his eyes showing fear and want of sympathy.
Fade in to a closeup of Halsey's eyes. She seems tired and grave.
- Interrogator: "Tell me about the children."
The interrogator, who is framed in shadow, sits at the other end of their table.
- Interrogator: "Dr. Halsey?"
Halsey looks at her speaker defiantly. He is framed in shadow.
- Doctor Catherine Halsey: "You already know everything."
- Interrogator: "You kidnapped them."
Cut to John-117, now wearing a breath mask, lying down on the bed as machines prepare to operate on him.
- Halsey (voiceover): "Children's minds are more easily accepting of indoctrination, their bodies more adaptable to augmentation. The result was the ultimate soldier."
Cut to a SPARTAN-II, now fully armored and being inspected by technicians. He towers over all of them.
- Halsey: "And because of our success, when the Covenant invaded, we were ready."
Cut to a CAS-class assault carrier hovering over a human city. Dozens of aircraft fly out of its launch bay.
Cut back to the interrogation.
- Interrogator: "Dr. Halsey, you're bending history for your favor and you know it. You developed the Spartans to crush human rebellion, not to fight the Covenant."
Banshees bomb the city as civilians runs for their lives.
- Halsey (voiceover): "When one human world after another fell..."
- Halsey (voiceover): "When my Spartans were all that stood between humanity and extinction..."
From up in the sky, a dozen Spartans drop from Pelicans, using their thruster packs to slow their descent.
- Halsey (voiceover): "Nobody was concerned over why they were originally built."
The Spartans land. A Elite snarls aggressively at them. The Spartans take cover and shoot down some of the Sangheili who return fire, flaring the shields on the Spartans' armor, while the lead Elite calmly steps forward and fires back. Cut to the Spartans advancing forward, still firing.
- Interrogator (voiceover): "So you feel in the end that your choices were justified."
Cut to Halsey, who sits forward calmly, clasping her hands.
- Halsey: "My work saved the human race."
- Interrogator: "Do you think the Spartans' lack of basic humanity helped?"
Halsey looks at him worriedly, as the interrogator, now standing, backs away from the table.
- Halsey: "What are you after? The others before you were Naval Intelligence but you, you're something else."
Cut to a Spartan sitting alone in a hangar. His head is drooped and he is speaking to no one. Marines walk past him.
- Interrogator (voiceover): "Records show Spartans routinely exhibited mildly sociopathic tendencies, difficulty with socialization, furthermore..."
Cut to a Spartan fighting a Jiralhanae Chieftain. He leaps agilely, dodging its every blow. Dead Sangheili cover the ground.
- Halsey (voiceover): "The records show efficient behavior operating in hazardous situations. I supplied the tools to maintain that efficiency."
Cut back to the interrogation.
- Interrogator: "Do you believe the Master Chief succeeded because he was, at his core, broken?"
- Halsey: "What does John have to do with this? ...you want to replace him."
- Interrogator: "The Master Chief is dead."
- Halsey: "His file reads 'Missing in Action'."
- Interrogator: "Catherine? Spartans never die?"
Cut to a Spartan's foot stepping down on a puddle. The Spartan leads a crowd of military personnel and civilians. The fighting has stopped but the city is in rubble.
- Halsey: "Your mistake is seeing Spartans as military hardware. My Spartans are humanity's next step..."
Halsey stands up from her chair in determination.
- Halsey: "Our destiny as a species. Do not underestimate them. But most of all, do not underestimate... him."
Cut to black.
- Main article: List of inconsistencies in the Halo series
Several elements in the cutscene are different from how they canonically occurred. The SPARTAN-II augmentation procedures are depicted differently than in previous media. In the commercial Scanned and in the comic book Halo: Fall of Reach, the Spartans are built like heavily muscled young adults, whereas in Halsey's memory John looks like a preteen, if not younger. The physiques depicted in the previous media may be more accurate, based on the description of John as having the body of an "eighteen-year-old Olympic athlete" just prior to the augmentations in Halo: The Fall of Reach. The surgery and procedure also look different, as it is shown being done by machine, rather than in an open surgical theater.
The Sangheili seen in the cutscene wear the same armor as those from the Covenant remnant, and the Jiralhanae a SPARTAN-II is shown fighting also wears an unseen armor combination, with the body armor of a Chieftain but the helmet of a Captain. These latter examples involving the Covenant may represent an outright retcon rather than artistic license, though it may indicate that both Halo 4-style and pre-Halo 4 armor types were in use during the war.
Some of the events can be assumed as representative rather than exact. When and where the battle in the city occurred is unclear, but it is likely not meant to be a specific battle; rather, it could be considered a summation of the entire war. Likewise, the scene in which Halsey presents Cortana to John did not occur as such, as evidenced by John's armor and him meeting Cortana by hologram; canonically, as seen in Halo: The Fall of Reach, John met Cortana after she was inserted into his neural interface for the first time. Overall, most questionable aspects of the cutscene could be due to Halsey's embellishment.
 The Spartans' armor
The most prominent inconsistency that the Spartans are all shown wearing the heavily modified version of the MJOLNIR Mark VI that Cortana devised for John-117. Dr. Halsey could not have known this variant existed, as it was created months or even years after her last meeting with John. She has also shown distaste, if perhaps sarcastic, for alterations to "her" armor. However, Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide retcons these suits as the Mark IV variant upon which John's revised armor was based, much like the original Mark VI was based on John's Mark IV variant from The Package and Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn. While the suits' energy shields may yet seem anachronistic, Mark IV energy shielding prototypes had entered field testing by 2531.
- When the Interrogator is talking about the initial purpose of the SPARTAN-II Program, "to your own favor" appear in the subtitles while "for" is actually said instead of "to".
- Many Elites drop dead from being shot, but their shields only flicker and never break.
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach, page 59
- ^ Halo: Reach, campaign level ONI: Sword Base (Halsey: "What have you done with my armor?")
- ^ DK Publising - Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide Preview
- ^ Halo: The Essential Visual Guide, page 119: "Energy shielding was a key feature of Mark V, although other Spartan squads had field-tested prototypes of this technology as early as 2531."
Halo 3 credits
|Halo 4 Campaign Missions
| Succeeded by|