At around age seven, the orphaned children chose to become SPARTAN-IIIs, and were sent to Camp Currahee on the planet Onyx. After having survived the bioaugmentation process, Team Saber graduated from the SPARTAN-III training program on February 20, 2551. As they were one of the highest-ranked teams in the program, they stayed on Onyx to participate in training exercises with Teams Gladius and Katana to see who would claim top honors.
Battle of Onyx
- Main article: Battle of Onyx
During a training exercise, Team Saber was attacked by what appeared to be artillery fire. After retreating behind the Zone 67 fence, they ran into their previous assailants which turned out to be Onyx Sentinels. After a sporadic firefight, Saber learned about the strange nature of these Forerunner constructs and retreated to the jungle to lay low for a time. The team joined the remaining members of SPARTAN-II Blue Team, including Fred, Linda, Will, and Kelly, as well as Kurt Ambrose, the SPARTAN-IIIs' commander, to help Dr. Catherine Halsey recover crucial Forerunner technology rumored to be buried below the surface of Onyx.
After entering a formerly buried Forerunner city within Zone 67 and discovering Onyx's map room, Team Saber and the other Spartans were ordered by AI Endless Summer to destroy a Sentinel manufacturing facility near the northern pole of Onyx in order to halt the production of Sentinels and save the UNSC battle group over Onyx. They succeeded in destabilizing the core systems of the factory thanks to a plan formulated by Team Saber's leader, Ash-G099, who proposed they use the production plant's teleportation grid to quickly move across the facility.
After successfully destroying the Sentinel factory, the Spartans translocated to another section of Onyx, where they rescued the members of Team Katana, who had been interred in suspended animation within Forerunner slipspace field pods. Pursued by a massive Covenant army led by Voro Nar 'Mantakree, they were forced to fall back to the shield world's entry room in Onyx's core. A drawn-out battle ensued, and the super-soldiers killed many Covenant troops, despite losing three of their own. Finally, Kurt ordered the surviving Spartans through the slipspace portal to the shield world and sacrificed himself for their safety by destroying the Covenant army that attempted to gain entrance to the shield world by detonating two FENRIS nuclear warheads.
The surviving members of Team Saber successfully made it into Shield World 006, a Forerunner "micro" Dyson sphere contained in a slipspace bubble in the core of Onyx. There, they were integrated into Blue Team, led by Fred-104. After reconnoitering the shield world for some time, the structure was brought into normal space by a group of resident Huragok and the human survivors were rescued by Kilo-Five, to be taken to Earth for a debriefing aboard UNSC Port Stanley. In early 2553, the members of Team Saber were offered the chance to integrate into the ongoing SPARTAN-IV program.
By September 2553, Ash, Olivia, and Mark were missing in action. Though their deaths were not confirmed, the UNSC later changed their status to killed in action.
- Holly-G003 (killed in action, listed as missing in action)- Team Saber's close-quarters combat specialist. Demoted twice for fighting with other trainees. Buzz-cut her hair into the shape of bear claws, and was often teased by other members of Gamma Company about this fact.
- Ash-G099 (MIA, listed as KIA) - Leader of Team Saber, notable for being one of the smartest and best leaders in Gamma Company and being able to understand the needs of his teammates and assist them in developing their skills.
- Dante-G188 (KIA, listed as MIA)- Demolitions expert of Team Saber, possessed 'near-magical' abilities with regards to explosives.
- Olivia-G291 (MIA, listed as KIA) - The team's scout/stealth expert. Called "O" by her fellow Spartans for her skills at tracking and stealth. Regularly operated as a scout for the team.
- Mark-G313 (MIA, listed as KIA) - Nicknamed "The Mark" for his exceptional sniping abilities. Team Saber's marksman.
Like all known teams of Gamma Company, Team Saber is named after a blade.
List of appearances
- Halo: Ghosts of Onyx (First appearance)
- ^ a b c Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 117
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 117-119
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 249-258
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 313-324
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 352-372
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 378
- ^ Halo: Glasslands, page 401
- ^ Halo: Glasslands, page 435
- ^ Halo Waypoint: Catalog Interaction - Page 38
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 115
- ^ a b c Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 116