MA5C assault rifle
|MA5C assault rifle|
32 round box magazine
905 m/s (2970 ft/s)
|“||I have slogged through snow and mud and sand with my MA5C; even got dumped into an open sewer with it and it has never given me a bit of complaint. I trust it like I trust my own arms.||”|
The MA5C Individual Combat Weapon System, abbreviated MA5C ICWS and commonly known as the MA5C assault rifle, is a standard-issue service rifle for the UNSC Marine Corps and the Navy. Produced by Misriah Armory as part of its MA5 Series, the MA5C is an improvement on the MA5B Individual Combat Weapon System.
- Main article: MA5 Series
The MA5C Assault Rifle is an air-cooled, gas-operated, magazine-fed, fully-automatic bullpup rifle that fires 32 rounds of 7.62x51mm ammunition. It possesses a built-in ammunition indicator and magnetic compass for orientation similar to that of all other MA5 series rifles.
The MA5C rifle has received technical, as well as physical improvements over the MA5B rifle that include: a heavier barrel with a 1 in 7 twist; a redesigned cowling to house the electronics suite that reduces weight and increases portability of weapon; and a redesigned handguard which is sturdier and provides a more positive grip. The magazine capacity has been reduced to 32 rounds from the original 60 in the MA5B, and the rifle's range and accuracy has been substantially improved over its predecessor, making it a more formidable assault rifle.
The MA5C in both offensive and suppressive situations remains the Marine Corps' most reliable weapon. When fired in short bursts the MA5C Rifle can be effective at hitting targets at longer ranges, and the rifle's armor penetrating ability makes it key for handling even the toughest of infantry. The MA5C Rifle is effective at killing armored infantry at short-to-medium range and its high rate of fire allows its user to spray an area with suppression fire in defensive situations. At close range, the MA5C is arguably deadlier than the M7/Caseless Submachine Gun, as the firepower is approximately equal. The MA5C also provides the user with an ammo count on its digital readout, as well a compass pointing toward the arbitrary magnetic "north" position. In the hands of someone who can control his trigger finger, the MA5C becomes a deadly weapon in close-quarter situations.
The MA5C's main disadvantage is that it is grossly inaccurate when fired in full-automatic. Even though substantially better than the MA5B, it is too inaccurate for use at longer ranges, which makes the user an easy target for long range weapons - at long range a high ratio of misses to hits is likely, especially if the target is moving. The magazine can run out very quickly in fully automatic fire and has relatively low power per round compared with that of many other weapons; an engagement with numerous and/or particularly resilient enemies will likely require the user to reload a few times, leaving them open to counter-fire. It should be used as a secondary weapon for shorter ranges, paired with a long range weapon like the battle rifle or Covenant Carbine.
Changes from the MA5B in Halo: Combat Evolved to MA5C in Halo 3
- Different firing sound.
- Increased maximum magazines.
- Increased range and increased damage per round.
- Decreased rate of fire and a faster reload time.
Changes from Halo 3 to Halo 3: ODST
- The damage done to shields is decreased by 50%.
|See our gameplay tips related to MA5C assault rifle on its gameplay tips page|
|Browse more images on this article's gallery page.|
- On the butt of the MA5C, a small Marathon symbol can be found. It is also found on the left side of the weapon just below the charging handle.
- All pre-release public pictures of the MA5C in first person showed BR55 animations as placeholders before the final animations were in place in the final game.
- In the Halo 3 Beta, the charging handle of the MA5C had an animation. However, this is not present in Halo 3.
- The green button on the MA5C is a power on/off switch for the weapon's flashlight, which is never used in game by playable characters.
- When tested, each individual round of the MA5C actually does slightly more damage than the BR55HB SR. However, this is offset by the MA5C's lower accuracy at mid-long range, and the fact that it has no headshot bonus.
- The remastered MA5B in Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary uses the MA5C's model.
- In Fable 2, the MA5C can be obtained in the Knothole Island expansion pack. It is called "Hal's Rifle".
- The 1/7 barrel twist rate is not optimal for the ammunition the MA5C uses; this would generally cause the projectile to become very unstable (and thus, more inaccurate) as it travels through the air. 7.62x51mm rounds are usually fired through barrels with a 1/10, 1/11, or 1/12 twist.
- The MA5C's reload animation depicts the player character pushing the charging handle forward after reloading, though realistically he would need only to pull the handle back slightly before it launched forward by itself. Also, the character is seen "riding" the charging handle with his finger as it slides forward. This can cause malfunctions in modern weapons, as riding the charging handle while the bolt carrier goes forward can prevent the bolt from going fully into battery.
- The Halo Encyclopedia incorrectly states that the MA5C has a reduced magazine size of twenty-four rounds, though the adjacent image shows the ammunition counter of an MA5C which contains thirty-two rounds.
- Halo: The Essential Visual Guide mistakenly states that the MA5 series does not appear in Halo 3: ODST despite the MA5C's presence.
The MA5C reticule and ammo counter as seen on the MJOLNIR heads up display.
Marines on Tsavo Highway using the MA5C rifle.
Hal's Rifle from Fable 2.
List of appearances
- Halo: Uprising (First appearance)
- Halo 3
- Halo: Helljumper
- ONI Candidate Assessment Program V5.02A
- Halo 3: ODST
- Halo Legends
- Halo Evolutions
- Halo: Bloodline
- Remember Reach
- Halo: Glasslands
- Halo: The Thursday War
- Halo 2 Anniversary
- Halo: Spartan Strike
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k Bungie.net: MA5C Assault Rifle
- ^ Youtube: Halo: Anniversary Exclusive Pre-Order Grunt Funeral Skull