GRD dolls Easter egg
The GRD doll easter egg is an easter egg that can be found in each of the Halo: Reach multiplayer levels of the Anniversary Map Pack included in Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary. These dolls are roughly the same size of the teddy bear seen in the campaign level Exodus, with the GRD helmet on their head. They are required to be either knocked down from wherever they are located to be seen clearly in gameplay or to use certain methods to access certain areas.
For each level, there is a specific spot where the easter egg can be found.
- Battle Canyon: Go to the Blue Teleporter area of the map, take a weapon or explosive, stand in front of the teleporter and look above you. The GRD doll is in the hole in the ceiling on a little ledge. Either shoot it down and hopefully it wall fall down to you or use an explosive to blow it out of there.
- Breakneck: Head to the Construction Stairwell and head to the top of the stairs. Look above you and notice the ceiling is not completed. The GRD doll is above the tiled sections and it is hard to see because of the dark. Shooting it down with either a typical gun or some form of explosive will do the trick.
- High Noon: This GRD doll depends a lot on luck. The doll is well out of bounds above the Blue Base area on the top of the left side of the large Forerunner structure. Barely visible without a scoped weapon, a Sniper Rifle or Focus Rifle is necessary to shoot it down. The tricky thing is shooting it so it falls correctly, as it can fall where it cannot be obtained outside the map. If hit correctly, it should land around Blue Base.
- Installation 04: Perhaps the most difficult due to the kill boundary, the player will first need a jetpack (playing a custom Firefight match and setting the equipment to unlimited would be a great help) to reach the doll, which is located on top of the cliff in the East Drop Zone area. To the right of the mass of smaller rocks on the cliff face is the GRD doll near the cliff edge, laying against a small boulder with plants growing out of it. You have only ten seconds to reach it before you die. If you fail to get up there the first time, it is recommended you hang back and let the clock build back up to ten seconds. Having less enemies to fight or making yourself invulnerable may also be a good idea.
- Penance: This doll is hidden behind the circular panel at the far right at the top of the stairs in the Control Room area. It is incorrectly believed that you have to use a phased Gravity Lift in Forge to obtain this doll, but it is as simple as holding X/RB while standing in front of the control panel closest to the circular panel the doll is behind. It triggers a switch and the panel opens, pushing the doll out.
- Ridgeline: In the Overlook area near the cliff edge to the West, the GRD doll is inside the only crate you are not able to delete in Forge (the crate is of the CRATE, HEAVY, SMALL variety). Blasting off the lid with an explosive or meleeing it reveals the doll. A large enough explosion will actually throw it out of the box.
- Solitary: This can only be done through use of Forge and is the most complex method of getting a GRD doll, though guaranteed to work in one go if done correctly. Go to the 2nd Floor area, stand on the bridge above the Forerunner crate and go South. You will see a window with blue tubes on the other side. The GRD doll is in there. Spawn a teleporter (TWO-WAY or RECEIVER), set it to PHASED, place it inside the room (coordinates may need to be used), then spawn another (SENDER or TWO-WAY) and walk through it. In the right side of the room is the doll in the only section without a tube in it.
- The helmet was rumored to be be a new unlockable item in Halo: Reach, having been seen in screenshots of the Defiant Map Pack being worn by players and even in the Armory of a Bungie employee on Bungie Day, but the rumors were apparently false. 343 Industries] employees refused to talk about the helmet, giving more secrecy to the unknown armor. Eventually, David Ellis confirmed that 343 Industries had planned to include the helmet as part of the Anniversary Map Pack. However, it was cut before release due to time and resource constraints, and was instead featured via the doll Easter egg.
- When meleed, they give off the sound of a squeaky toy often used in teddy bears when they are squeezed or hugged.