.fortune is an Easter egg in the Xbox version of Halo: Combat Evolved, as well as Halo 3 and Halo: Reach. In all cases, the egg causes a funny message to appear when ".fortune" is written somewhere, but the egg is more extensive in Halo: Combat Evolved. In Halo 3 and Halo: Reach, giving a map variant the description of ".fortune" will produce the phrase "My modem is on fire". In Halo: Combat Evolved, if the player creates a profile, renames an existing one, or creates a map name and names it ".fortune", a random fortune-cookie-like saying will appear on the screen.
The ".fortune" on the text box will then also instantly disappear. However, if the player places a symbol at the beginning (such as a left parenthesis) to make ".(fortune", and subsequently uses the arrows to move to and delete the parenthesis when finished, ".fortune" will remain, allowing the player to use it as a profile name if they so wish.
 List of Fortune Quotes in Halo: Combat Evolved
- All your hard work will eventually pay off
- Everything lies in silence
- If anything just cannot go wrong, it will anyway (The first of Murphy's Laws)
- Nature always sides with the hidden flaw. (A subdivision of Murphy's Law)
- Never wear your best pants when fighting for freedom.
- Rest is good, but idleness is its brother.
- Smile when you're ready.
- You cannot fall off the floor. (Another Murphy's Law)
- Your luck is about to change.
- I like beans. (Rare)
- This joke was also present on Bungie.net's Myth metaserver.
- The Easter egg is similar to the fortune command found on most Unix-compatible operating systems. Like the fortune command in Unix, the Halo: Combat Evolved egg draws a random quote from a database, albeit much smaller in size than the lists accompanying most fortune implementations.