Shotty Snipers is a Halo 3, Halo: Reach, Halo 4, and Halo 5: Guardians variant of Slayer where the player spawns with a shotgun and sniper rifle. It started in Halo 2, and became a widely used gametype in Halo 3.
During a game of Shotty Snipers, there are no weapons on the map, though Equipment and Grenades are still present and have the same effect on the enemy as if on a normal playlist. Every player starts with a Shotgun and a Sniper Rifle, both of which have unlimited ammunition. The first team to reach 50 kills, wins. It is featured in Halo 3's Matchmaking system, and also in the Team Snipers Double EXP Weekend playlist.
When Halo 3 was first released, there was a problem where the gametype appeared considerably more often than it should have in the Team Slayer playlist. This meant that when a Shotty Snipers game was vetoed, another one would often appear in its place. This was rectified in the first matchmaking playlist update on October 9, 2007.
In Halo 5: Guardians, a special version of Shotty Snippers, titled Mythic Shotty Snipers, is available. In this mode, all players wield Kelly-087's Oathsworn Shotgun and Linda-058's Nornfang Sniper Rifle.
- When in a close range situation, even if you are using the Nornfang, it is ill-advised to attempt a no-scope (unless you are particularly skilled at doing it), rather, rely on your Shotgun for its close range effectiveness.
- If the Shotgun is your preferred weapon you should avoid open areas since Snipers are highly likely to spot you and gain an easy kill.
- Sniper/Melee. In close quarters combat, the sniper rifle is fired followed immediately by a melee. The Sniper shot depletes the shield charge and leaves the opponent vulnerable to a one hit kill melee attack.
- Two-Piece: In close range with a shotgun, if you fire and it didn't happen to kill them (as in if you shoot them in the legs) if you immediately follow up with a melee it will often defeat your opponent.
- When sniping, try to find a hiding spot where enemies must approach you from the front, and you have a good line of sight.
- When using shotguns, try to find snipers that are unaware of their surroundings.