Halopedia:Requests for adminship/Braidenvl
From Halopedia, the Halo wiki
Reason for Nomination
With the recent removal of inactive administrators in our ranks and a great deal of new Halo content coming in the next year, myself and the remaining admins felt that additional admins were needed for Halopedia.
Braidenvl has been a loyal, reliable, and trusted user on Halopedia for years, with many quality edits and a great understanding of the Halo universe. I am quite confident that Braidenvl is more than capable of handling administrative rights and duties in a responsible manner.--Spartacus Talk • Contribs 18:40, 28 June 2013 (EDT)
Support (11/4) sysop
- Support --Spartacus Talk • Contribs 18:40, 28 June 2013 (EDT)
- Support --Killamint [Comm|Files] 13:04, 29 June 2013 (EDT)
- Support - As per my support for Tucker. Both of you are most deserving of these rights. :D --TentacleTornado 13:18, 29 June 2013 (EDT)
- Support - When first encountering Braidenvl and his work, I was very surprised to find he wasn't an admin. This may be late, but it's better than never. Tuckerscreator(stalk) 00:32, 30 June 2013 (EDT)
- Support - This has been a long time coming. --Jugus (Talk | Contribs) 02:34, 30 June 2013 (EDT)
- Support - My full and unbridled support. -- Rusty-112 Admin comm 13:28, 30 June 2013 (EDT)
- Support --Xamikaze330 [Transmission|Commencing] 16:59, 30 June 2013 (EDT)Xamikaze330
- Support — Seems like an annoyingly smug overachiever. He'll fit right in! Grizzlei ♥ ツ
- Support — As per above. Nice, high-quality user. --Dragonclaws(talk) 22:49, 3 July 2013 (EDT)
- Support — Always use the DMR. This is craZboy557, signing off. 07:10, 4 July 2013 (EDT)
- Support — Hope I'm not too late for throwing in my vote! —SPARTAN331 11:52, 10 July 2013 (EDT)
Neutral (0/0) Sysop
Against (0/0) Sysop
I'd assume that he's quite good, but I figure I should know more about him before I vote, though again, I assume I'd probably support him. Still, Braiden, could you fill out the interview thing? Always use the DMR. This is craZboy557, signing off. 19:14, 29 June 2013 (EDT)
Nominee, if you accept the nomination, please answer the following questions. It is advised that voters check the nominee's responses before voting.
1. When did you join Halopedia?
I joined on November 30, 2007.
2. What do you believe are your most valued contributions to Halopedia?
A) I feel that I have put my knowledge of the Halo universe to good use over the years. Whether creating a new article from scratch or editing and existing one, I make sure my work is top-notch. When I plan to change a word or two, I often find myself gutting the article and writing it over from the ground up. I strive to make each page as informative, well-sourced, and factually accurate as possible.
B) To put it bluntly, I'm good at writing and editing. Indeed, I'm going into a career in freelance technical writing. I obsess over grammar, spelling, and punctuation. An encyclopedia should be well-written, and I am glad to help achieve that goal.
3. What do you believe are your most valued technical contributions to Halopedia?
I'm pretty familiar with the under-the-hood aspects of the wiki, so I generally feel comfortable when formatting pages and templates. I'm willing to admit when I'm stumped, though, and I know whom to ask for help. Most of my technical contributions have been low-key, such as formatting lists of appearances. However, I have created a few general-use templates, most importantly this one, which is now in widespread use.
4. What do you believe are your most valued contributions to the community?
Like my response to question #2, I would say that sharing my knowledge of Halo canon is my biggest contribution to the community. I'll admit that I'm not overly involved in the Halo community at large; I'm certainly not shy, but I stick to editing here for the most part.
My most important specific contribution was probably clarifying that the Halo 4-era Covenant are not called "the Storm". This has led to many members of the Halo community (not just Halopedia) referring to the faction as the "Covenant Capital R-emnant" as if it's an official in-universe name. Oh well.
5. If you are administrated, what changes do you propose?
A) I would propose a renovation drive for some of the wiki's older, forgotten content. We have countless orphaned pages that need to be completely overhauled. Some of them haven't been touched in years; I'm looking at you, i love bees articles. Those that aren't needed should be merged or deleted.
B) The same goes for images. In olden days, the "We are not an image hosting site," policy wasn't strictly enforced. Now we have innumerable avatars and other images of all types that were posted by members who haven't been active since Halo 3 came out. There's no need for all that clutter if no one is going to make use of it.
C) I have an idea for a months-long community activity that I began myself about ten months ago. All I can say for now is that it's for hardcore fans only. I'll share more on this later.
6. To the best of your understanding, what does administratorship entail?
One of an admin's main duties is to arbitrate disputes among users and to block when the situation calls for it. Admins are also responsible for organizing the community for special projects, (such as Xbox LIVE playdates); for informing everyone of proposed policy changes and encouraging them to vote; for ensuring that the news bulletins on the main page are up-to-date; and so forth. I know that many of my rights as a patroller (such as protecting pages) would be carried over, so the learning curve shouldn't be particularly high.
7. To the best of your understanding, when will you be able to check Halopedia after you are administrated, in the event that you are?
I am able to check the wiki at some point on any given day. Granted, some days I might be at home in the morning, whereas on others I might be available in the evening. It really just depends on my work schedule. Even on days when I'm not really in the mood for Halo - Hey, I like plenty of other franchises, too! - I tend to check in for a few minutes to make sure that everything is in order. Rest assured, I won't have any problems with being out of the loop.
Note: I live in the Central US Time Zone.
8. What communities are you associated with online, Halo and otherwise?
I'm not really active on any other wikis anymore. I used to edit the EVA Database, but it's been several years. Nominally, I am a member of Destinypedia, but so far I haven't gotten very involved. I read countless other wikis, (with Wookieepedia taking the #2 spot) but Halopedia is the only one I consistently edit. As with wikis, I usually take a read-but-don't-get-involved approach to forums.
I do have Xbox LIVE, but I keep my gamertag to myself with few exceptions. I should say that multiplayer isn't really my cup of tea. It's definitely fun and I'm very good at it for someone who almost never plays online. However, I care about story and campaign far more than frenetic PvP action.
9. What is your familiarity with the Halo universe?
I know the Haloverse like the back of my hand. I own every piece of Halo media (games, novels, comics, film, and other stuff) and have played, read, or watched them all several times over.
10. What is your familiarity with Halopedia policies?
I make a point to read over our policy pages every few months to stay abreast of what flies and what doesn't. I am quite familiar with the MoS; the layout guide; the community guidelines; and the specific policies for notability, canon, spoilers, blocking, and so forth.
11. What is your relationship with the Halopedia community and current administration?
I believe that I am in good standing with the Halopedia community as a whole. Several of the long-time editors (including myself) have editing together for years now, so there is a pretty strong relationship among us. I like helping newer members learn the ropes, especially when they show initiative and clearly want to learn about the workings of the wiki. Lording over them with an iron fist is not the right way to introduce them to the community.
12. How may users contact you?
I am open to messages (public or private) through my wiki profile.