MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/Mark VI
- "Well, I guess it was all obsolete anyway. Your new suit's a Mark VI, just came up from Seongnam this morning."
- —Master Gunns
The MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/Mark VI was the sixth version of the MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor. The powered exoskeleton was issued to the few surviving SPARTAN-II commandos in October 2552, replacing the older Mark V variant. Shortly after the end of the Human-Covenant War, it was replaced by the Mark VII armor.
Late into the war, as work on the MJOLNIR Mark V was being completed, a top-secret parallel development lab in Seongnam, United Korea, began work on their own prototype of Project: MJOLNIR; this would later become known as MJOLNIR: BLACK, a standalone "skunkworks" prototype of the Mark VI MJOLNIR armor. Using data from the existing and in-development versions of the MJOLNIR armor, the Seongnam team was able to produce a suit with many technical advancements not yet available to the standard MJOLNIR system. After extensive testing of prototype models in combat against the Covenant, the BLACK prototype was eventually inducted into the MJOLNIR line of combat exoskeletons and officially designated as the sixth version. It was approved for use after the loss of Reach and equipped to the surviving SPARTAN-IIs from Reach after their arrival on Earth.
The MJOLNIR Mark VI is capable of taking full advantage of the physical capabilities of a SPARTAN-II. The suit is constructed in overlapping layers. It is a sealed system, capable of extra-vehicular activity and operations in toxic atmosphere. It is hardened against electromagnetic pulses and radiation, and has filters that are completely effective at removing toxins and bacteria from local atmosphere.
The armor's shell is composed of a multilayer alloy of remarkable strength and has been augmented with a refractive coating capable of dispersing a limited number of impacts from Covenant energy weapons. The suit contains a gel-filled layer underneath a thick black armored bodysuit. The gel layer regulates temperature and can reactively change its density. The inner skinsuit is made of a moisture-absorbing synthetic material linked to an environment control computer and the occupant's UNSC-issue neural interface.
An upgrade to the standard Neural Interface is issued to all high-ranking officers; another modified version of the neural lace is issued to all SPARTAN-IIs in the UNSC. This network translates electrochemical signals to digital code and routes them through an interface connection at the rear of the skull. Through this interface, the user's thoughts command the armor's movement and use of weapons, and input from the onboard sensors comes directly to the user's mind. The synthesis of machine and mind is so fast that it is almost impossible to chart reaction time.
Each suit of MJOLNIR Mark VI armor contains a layer of superconducting computer memory. Envisioned by Dr. Halsey, this revolutionary layer forms a network, capable of supporting the kinds of artificial intelligence usually reserved for starships, a piggyback system.
The suits also contain a strength-enhancing layer. This marvel of engineering uses piezoelectric properties to enhance and assist a Spartan's already prodigious muscle power, and grant superhuman feats of might.
The Mark VI generation largely solved problems with the previous versions of MJOLNIR armor. It had an improved energy shielding system, powered by a smaller fusion pack on the wearer's back. This shield system is much stronger and charges more quickly than the Mark V's. The suit also has denser yet less bulky armor plating, these streamlined plates have fewer grapple points than the Mark V so that an enemy has fewer advantages in close combat.
The biggest change, however, was the inclusion of automatic biofoam injectors. With the introduction of the Mark VI, these biofoam injectors have become an integral part of a SPARTAN's ability to function in battle. As a medical gel, it is used to fill and seal wounds automatically, although this process causes extreme pain. However while Biofoam allows a soldier to continue to perform his job without bleeding out, biofoam is only a temporary means of saving a person's life and medical attention must be received soon after before a person suffers more life threatening issues.
In addition, the Mark VI's liquid crystal and hydrostatic gel layers received significant improvements over the previous version. The liquid crystal layer increases the strength of the armor by a factor of five in addition to amplifying the users reaction time by the same factor. The hydrostatic layer features a lock-down device, which protects the muscles and joints of its Spartan wearer from heavy-impact injuries.
In addition to major component upgrades the Mark VI introduce a number of smaller technical improvements to components, these included recoil-compensating actuators which handle weapon feedback, as a SPARTAN is firing a weapon in combat these actuators handle a weapons recoil reducing it without affecting the performance of the Spartan user. The Mark VI also possesses an improved computer system which continuously monitors weapons, biological functions, and motion through intelligent motion-sensing radar.
The sixth stage in the MJOLNIR evolution, the MJOLNIR Mark VI is a fully neural-linked system. With an onboard artificial intelligence using the human mind for parallel processing, the SPARTAN-II/MJOLNIR combination was the most devastating intelligence tool ever created.
In addition to the standard version of MJOLNIR armor, many variants have been designed for different mission requirements and situations. These variants are the pinnacle of MJOLNIR evolution from design and function gathered from data, feedback, incidents and general design improvements gather throughout the Human-Covenant War.
MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/Black
- Main article: MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/Black
Mark VI MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/C
- Main article: Mark VI MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/C variant
A Variant of the Mark VI armor, C Variant is designed specifically for close combat by making joints more mobile and including additional attachments for additional close quarters equipment.
Mark VI MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/V
- Main article: Mark VI MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/V variant
Almost exactly the same as the regular Mark VI, the V Variant is designed specifically for extra-vehicular combat. It has more rounded features and improved armor plating that self-seals, securing its user from almost any punctures created by small shrapnel.
Mark VI MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/EOD variant
- Main article: Mark VI MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/EOD variant
Another Variant of the Mark VI, this armor is designed for situations involving explosive material, for example defusing bombs or removing land mines. The modifications to the armor are designed to limit damage to the wearer in a blast: The shape of the helmet better channels pressure waves, and the shoulders and chest plates have fewer grabbing edges.
Mark VI MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/S variant
- Main article: MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/Mark VI/S variant
The Scout variant, like the Recon variant, has advanced materials that give it stealth capabilities.
Mark VI MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/R variant
- Main article: Mark VI MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/R variant
Developed along side the S Variant armor, the Recon Variant is also designed for stealth missions without losing endurance. The main ways it achieves this are by reducing its infrared signature, reflective surfaces, and Cherenkov electromagnetic emissions.
Mark VI(A) MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor
- Main article: Mark VI(A) MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor
When the Outer Colonies fell to the Covenant, the UNSC turned to the private sector to produce classified war military hardware. The Rogue variant was one of many armor pieces to be made by private companies.
- Integrated Communications Helmet: The ICH is one of the most vital aspects of the MJOLNIR system. It is made of Titanium, contains key features like a Heads Up Display, and can identify equipment and display information about it when it is picked up by the wearer. Another feature is the direct neural interface system, which connects to a SPARTAN-II's neural implants. Two core processor chips are implanted into the subjects skull in the rear of the head. This is essentially comparable to an on board computer using parts of the human brain for processing - when the connector at the rear of the subjects head and receptors in the brain link to the helmets on board sensors it creates the neural link needed to move the MJOLNIR suit. The helmet also contains equipment to protect the user in hostile conditions, such as filters to remove toxins from the atmosphere, an oxygen supply to provide air to the wearer during EVA, thermal and motion sensors, radio communicators, solar-powered lighting, and imaging and video gear. The helmet also contains an AI housing located on the back of the helmet.
- Titanium alloy outer shell: The outer shell of the MJOLNIR armor is comprised of a fairly thick titanium alloy. This plating covers the chest, arms, hip, legs, calves, feet and hands. This alloy is very resilient, can take significant punishment, and is nearly impervious to small arms fire. While enough shots from armor piercing rounds will breach the outer shell, the suit can take a few glancing blows from them without compromising the armor. The outer shell of the all MJOLNIR suits is covered with a refractive coating to help disperse the heat experienced from Covenant energy weapons. However one or two direct hits from any Plasma weapon will compromise the armor plating.
- Titanium nanocomposite bodysuit: Sandwiched between the external armor and the internal padding is a thick black armored bodysuit. This suit has numerous functions, small but vital to the safety and survival of the wearer. The bodysuit is made of a titanium-based material, making it very strong and yet very flexible. It also serves as another layer of protection against ballistics attacks and is coated with a heat resistant material to disperse heat from Plasma weapons.
- Hydrostatic gel: Underneath the armored bodysuit is a gel-filled layer, this gel layer regulates the temperature of the suit and can re actively change its density to conform to the wearer's shape - the temperature inside the suit is controlled by the moisture absorbing cloth suit underneath the hydrostatic layer. The hydrostatic gel layer can also be pressurized to various levels to potentially save the wearers life should the wearer be subjected to high G forces or a high velocity impact; however, over-pressurizing this layer can cause nitrogen embolisms. 
- Reactive metal liquid crystal layer: Sandwiched between the external armor and the internal padding is a layer of piezoelectric material that deforms along a preferred axis when exposed to a electric charge. This layer acts as synthetic muscle, allowing the Spartan access to approximately twice their normal strength. This is not due to a "Leverage Effect," but rather that a human-sized suit will provide about six hundred kilos of lifting power, in addition to an average Spartan's six hundred kilos of lifting power. Assuming a Spartan has an average body weight of 200 kilos, and that CPO Mendez's assertion that: "They can lift three times their body weight- which, I might add, is almost double the norm due to their increased muscle density," is indeed accurate. It is to be noted that the MJOLNIR Mk. VI had a greatly improved layer of this material, granting an approximate five times usual strength.
- Memory-processor superconductor layer: A layer relatively new to the MJOLNIR line, introduced with the Mark V, that is capable of housing an AI. Comprised of the same material as a starship's A.I. system, this layer allows an A.I. to travel with a soldier into the field. The A.I. can then aid the soldier in software intrusion, hardware hacking, and espionage by listening to enemy chatter. As a side note, this layer is often confused with the Reactive Metal Liquid Crystal layer, which due to the latter's piezoelectric properties is impossible.
- Magnetic weapon holder strips: Available on the Marks IV, V, and VI, the magnetic strips are very small yet powerful magnets place on the legs, waist, and back of the suit and is used to hold any equipment with a magnetic property. The suit also contains a magnet system on the boots of the MJOLNIR suit that allow its wearer to stay attached to a metal surface in Zero G environments and can be toggled on or off by the wearer.
- Energy shields: First used on the Mark V, and later refined on the Mark VI, the energy shield device is reversed engineered from Covenant technology. Begun in 2532 forty scientists and technicians would spend the next 20 years attempting to make some use of the technology. For decades the attempts at cracking their technology had met with failure after failure, some had given up and others in the scientific community believed the energy shield technology could never be cracked. However at some point before 2552 a breakthrough was made and for the first time the UNSC had successfully cracked and improved upon the technology.
- Pressure seal: The pressure seal is a vital component to the MJOLNIR system, it keeps the system airtight, underwater or in space. The seal is very strong and will only break under extreme pressure, such as in a high velocity impact or when the hydrostatic gel has been over pressurized.
- Automatic biofoam injectors: Introduced on the Mark VI, biofoam injectors are an integral part of the systems ability that keep a SPARTAN-II functioning in battle. Biofoam is a medical gel that is used to fill and seal a wound automatically, it is also used to treat any infection that could occur as a result of the wound. The process of injecting, or applying the gel to a wound is extremely painful and is only a temporary solution; medical attention must be sought soon after to ensure survivability.
- Fusion reactor: The fusion reactor is the most essential part of the MJOLNIR system, as it provides power to all equipment on the MJOLNIR armor - the reactor is built into the suit and allows for nearly unlimited movement. The fusion reactor in all versions of the MJOLNIR armor are half the size of a normal fusion pack that conventional marines carry around.
- Force-multiplying circuits: Located throughout the armor, these systems boost the force applied by the user. They make hand-to-hand combat easier, but also make the armor difficult to adjust to; a slight motion can be translated into a potentially harmful one if not conducted correctly. For this reason it is only possible for Spartans to use this armor, as their strengthened bodies are able to withstand the increased power and speed of movement, which, in un-augmented human bodies, results in broken bones or death, due to spasms caused by the pain of broken bones.
- Reactive circuits: Reactive Circuits are systems installed directly linked to the Spartan Neural Interface. They amplify the wearer's reaction time by connecting directly to the thoughts of the wearer, making it much easier to control and allowing for the soldier to be both more efficient and have a higher survival rate in combat.
- Power supply control unit: Manages the power supply of the armor.
- MJOLNIR Mark VI BIOS: The basic input/output system, standard firmware interface for the Mark VI.
- Lock-down system: The lock-down system protects muscles and joints from traumatic, high-impact injuries by seizing the suit into a rigid posture through modifying the density of the hydrostatic gel layer.
- Fail-safe detonation system - This system functions as a self-destruct mechanism in order to prevent a dead Spartan's armor from being compromised by hostiles. It is activated by a series of digits that only the Spartans know. When engaged, it produces a reactor overload that burns everything within a ten-meter radius, then produces a large blast.
Halo: Reach gameplay
The Mark VI helmet appears in Halo: Reach as a prototype, possibly the MJOLNIR: Black variant. Two upgrades are available for the helmet, the first of which adds a Command Network Module on the left side with a Hardened Uplink Module-3rd Generation on the right side (FC-I). The second upgrade adds an up-armor plate with a Command Network Module-Improved on the right side.
- The Mark VI armor experienced graphical changes between Halo 2 and Halo 3, most notably in the design of the gauntlets. These changes appear to be purely aesthetic in nature and have no canonical explanation. Additionally, the helmet's sun visor is colored black in Halo: Reach, though the fact that this helmet is a prototype may explain the graphical difference.
- In Halo: Reach the letters "FH" appear near the chin area of the Mark VI that is also present on the hood of the Warthog.
- The armor worn by Operation Firepower from Marvel Comics' Ultimate universe greatly resembles the MJOLNIR Mark VI, combined with elements of Iron Man's armor. The helmet is nearly identical to that of the Mark VI and likewise has an orange face plate, though it features the distinctive eye slits of Iron Man's armor.
John-117 wearing the Mk VI.
- ^ Halo: Glasslands, page 213
- ^ Halo Evolutions Blunt Instruments page 195
- ^ Halo Encyclopedia page 89
- ^ Halo Encyclopedia page 90
- ^ Halo Encyclopedia page 91
- ^ Frank O'Connor: Halopedia:News: 21 May 2009/Fred Van Lente and Spartan Black
- ^ Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe, Blunt Instruments
- ^ a b c Halo: Reach, Armory description
- ^ Halo: First Strike Chapter 2, page 13
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx Chapter 1, page 36
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach Chapter 8, Page 92
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach Chapter 27, Page 286
- ^ Halo Encyclopedia Chapter 3, page 89
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach Chapter 27, page 249
- ^ Halo: The Fall of Reach Chapter 13, page 114; chapter 27, page 248
- ^ Halo 3, level Arrival
- ^ Halo Encyclopedia, page 91
- ^ Halo: Reach, level Tip of the Spear
- ^ Halo Reach Legendary Edition developer commentary, part 4
- ^ Halo: Ghosts of Onyx, page 221
- ^ Halo: First Strike, page 315
- ^ FH Easter egg