Even though both major fleets possessed warships of such classifications, the tactical philosophies of the two species were different. The Covenant, while possessing many different cruiser classifications, use assault carriers as the powerhouses of their fleets. The UNSC, on the other hand, use cruisers as their heaviest warships.
However, it should be noted that Covenant cruisers dwarfed their UNSC counterparts and are much more powerful. For example, even the smallest Covenant cruisers contain powerful shields that are capable of withstanding several MAC rounds.
 Known cruiser classes
- Covenant supercruiser - 3576 meters (11,732 feet)
- Reverence-class cruiser - 3,000 metres (9,800 ft)
- CCS-class battlecruiser - 1,782 metres (5,850 ft)
- Covenant cruiser - 1,000 metres (3,300 ft)-1,455 metres (4,770 ft)
- CRS-class light cruiser - 300 metres (980 ft)
- Marathon-class heavy cruiser - 1,192 metres (3,910 ft)
- Halcyon-class light cruiser - 1,170 metres (3,800 ft)
- Valiant-class super-heavy cruiser - 1,518 metres (4,980 ft)
 List of appearances