Tor Books is a publisher that publishes Halo novels and many other science fiction and fantasy books. It is a part of Tom Doherty Associates LLC, which publishes popular fiction, and is particularly noted for its science fiction and fantasy titles. Tom Doherty Associates, LLC, was formed by Tom Doherty in 1980, and sold to St. Martin's Press in 1986. Along with St. Martin's Press, Henry Holt, and Farrar Straus Giroux, it is now part of the Holtzbrinck group.
In March 2006, Tor began releasing DRM-free ebooks through Webscriptions, but Holtzbrinck pulled the project within days of it starting, over Tor's objections.
Tor was contracted to publish Halo books following the first three novels, which were published by Del Rey Books. The first book to be published by Tor was Halo: Ghosts of Onyx by Eric Nylund, released on October 31, 2006. The second book was Halo: Contact Harvest by Joseph Staten, which was released on October 30, 2007. The third novel - sixth in the overall series - was Halo: The Cole Protocol, written by Tobias Buckell and released on November 25, 2008. The subsequent Halo novels have all been published by Tor, including the short story collection Halo: Evolutions - Essential Tales of the Halo Universe, which was released on November 24, 2009. Tor Books also reissued the first three Halo novels, Halo: The Fall of Reach, Halo: The Flood and Halo: First Strike, with updated content in Fall 2010.
They were contracted to published two novel series as tie-ins for Halo 4; The Forerunner Saga, a trilogy of Halo books authored by Greg Bear set in the time of the Forerunners. The first novel in the series, titled Halo: Cryptum, was released on January 4, 2011, followed by Halo: Primordium on January 3, 2012 and the final novel, Halo: Silentium on March 19, 2013. The other series, the Kilo-Five Trilogy by Karen Traviss, is set in the post-Human-Covenant War era, the first novel in the series being titled Halo: Glasslands and released on October 25, 2011. The second novel, Halo: The Thursday War, was released on October 2, 2012.
- ^ Kotaku: Halo Novel Trilogy to be Republished with Updates, New Content
- ^ Halo Waypoint: Science fiction legend Greg Bear set to explore the time of the Forerunners
- ^ Amazon.com: Halo: Primordium: Book Two of the Forerunner Saga
- ^ Tor Books updates release date of the third Halo novel by legendary science fiction author Greg Bear
- ^ Halo Portal — Bestselling Author Karen Traviss Set To Explore The Halo Universe
- ^ Amazon.com: Halo: Glasslands (hardcover)
- ^ Tor.com: Tor Books Announces Next Book in Halo Series