The Great Journey
|This article does not meet the wiki's general standards and/or standards on layouts. You can help by this article.|
|The Great Journey|
The surface of Installation 05.
Stop Tartarus from activating Halo
|Halopedia has a walkthrough guide to this level, The Great Journey. See The Great Journey/Walkthrough.|
|“||Form an unexpected alliance, keep Tartarus from activating the ring.||”|
The Great Journey is the final level in Halo 2 campaign.
Arbiter Thel 'Vadam, reunited with Rtas 'Vadum and a Special Operations Sangheili, heads to the "Bastion of the Brutes" to take control of a Scarab. Defeating numerous Ghosts and three Wraiths, they reach the far end of the canyon, finding another Special Operations Sangheili as well as a Mgalekgolo pair. 'Vadum leaves the team to take control of a cruiser, while the Arbiter and the other Sangheili and Mgalekgolo continue on, freeing several imprisoned Sangheili Councilors and more Mgalekgolo. They reach a landing pad, and stop a pack of Jiralhanae from executing Sergeant Major Avery Junior Johnson, Gunnery Sergeant Stacker and Staff Sergeant Banks. While the Separatists kill the Brutes, Johnson takes his chance and commandeers the Scarab. Forming an unexpected alliance, 'Vadam takes a Banshee and escorts the Johnson and the Scarab to Delta Halo's Control room. Johnson uses the Scarab's main cannon to destroy the Control room's door. 'Vadam then enters the Control Room and confronts Tartarus, who is trying to force Miranda Keyes to activate Halo. Backed up by Johnson, 'Vadam gets 343 Guilty Spark to reveal Halo's true purpose to everyone. However, Tartarus refuses to accept the truth and forces Commander Miranda Keyes to activate the ring. With no other choice, 'Vadam battles and kills the Chieftain. Keyes removes the Activation Index, stopping the ring from firing, but activating a fail safe mechanism in the process. Explained by 343 Guilty Spark, the fail-safe of the ring sends a signal to the Ark, where all Halos will be activated from. Meanwhile, Master Chief Petty Officer John-117 returns to Earth onboard the Forerunner Dreadnought, ready to finish the fight.
Meanwhile, on the Flood-infested High Charity, the Gravemind demands information from Cortana.
Scene fades in on Arbiter Thel 'Vadam and Special Operations Commander Rtas 'Vadum, who is in a Wraith with its hatch open, conversing. The two are looking towards the Control Room of Delta Halo. The door has just slam shut with a loud bang.
- Thel 'Vadam: "What is that place?"
- Rtas 'Vadum: "Where the Councilors were meant to watch the consecration of the Icon. The start of the Great Journey."
Focus on 'Vadam:
- Gravemind (flashback): "There is still time to stop the key from turning."
- Thel 'Vadam: "I must get inside."
- Rtas 'Vadum: "Then mount up, Arbiter. I know a way to break those doors."
'Vadam turns to face the Control Room as Rtas 'Vadum enters his Wraith and closes the hatch behind him.
Your Ass, My Size-24 Hoof
The Arbiter takes the Wraith (on Legendary, the player cannot take the Wraith) or the Spectre that drives up to him. He and Rtas 'Vadum then fight past multiple waves of Jiralhanae-controlled Ghosts, a Wraith tank and even a Phantom. A CCS-class battlecruiser can be seen in the distance.
As they travel to where a Scarab is visible, docked up on a ledge.
- Rtas 'Vadum: "There, Arbiter. That Scarab's main gun will break the Control Room's door. At the far end of the beach there's a passage into the cliff. It'll take you up to the Scarab."
They clear the area, and reach the far end of the canyon.
- Rtas 'Vadum: "The Brutes control that cruiser, Arbiter. I'll remain here, make sure no reinforcements get in behind you. Then, I'm going to take the cruiser back!"
- Special Operations Sangheili: "The Arbiter? I thought he was dead! Hold your fire. The Hunters have come to our aid, Arbiter. They will fight by our side."
'Vadam and his allies fight their way through several areas guarded by Jiralhanae, Kig-Yar and Yanme'e. Eventually they reach a room where two Sangheili Councilors and a Mgalekgolo pair are being held prisoner behind force field doors.
If the Special Operations Sangheili lives at this point and follows the player into the room:
- Special Operations Sangheili: "Free our brothers! Death to the Brutes!"
A massive fight breaks out in the detention center. The separatists manage to free the prisoners and together they crush the loyalist forces. The Arbiter and his allies continue through a corridor, eventually stepping out onto the platform where the discover a group of Jiralhanae preparing to execute some Marine prisoners, including Sergeant Johnson.
- Jiralhanae #1: "Yes, Chieftain. (to other Jiralhanae) A day's ration says I can do this in one cut."
- Jiralhanae #2: "Two cuts at least."
- Jiralhanae #1: "Done. Wait, movement!"
- Jiralhanae #2: "Elites!"
- Sergeant Johnson: "Go, go, go!"
The Sangheili and Mgalekgolo kill the Jiralhanae on the platform.
The Arbiter turns around to see the Scarab's main cannon aimed at him.
- Sergeant Johnson (COM): "Listen, you don't like me and I sure as hell don't like you."
Cut to Scarab's helm, Johnson at the controls.
- Sergeant Johnson: "But if we don't do something, Mr. Mohawk's gonna activate this ring. And we're all gonna die."
Cut to a close-up of 'Vadam.
- Sergeant Johnson (COM): "Well, I just happen to have a key." (The Scarab's cannon opens) "Come on. Grab a Banshee and give me some cover. He's gonna know we're comin'."
Two Banshees arrive and their Sangheili pilots jump out.
- Sangheili: "Take my Banshee, Arbiter!"
'Vadam does so, Johnson fires the Scarab's main cannon and destroys an enemy Wraith.
- Sergeant Johnson (COM): "Ha! How do you like it?!"
'Vadamee destroys several more Wraiths and Banshees in the area in front of the Control Room. The Scarab comes in firing range of the Control Room.
- Sergeant Johnson (COM): "Stay clear of the doors. Hey, bastards, knock knock!"
If the player stalls:
- Johnson (COM): "Stay clear of the doors!"
- Johnson (COM): "Are you trying to get killed? Gimme some room!"
If the player still stalls:
- Johnson (COM): "What, do I have to spell it out for you? MOVE!!!"
- Johnson (COM): "Hey, listen, I'm gonna count to three. One... two... don't say I didn't warn ya!"
If the player moves when Johnson is counting:
- Sergeant Johnson (COM): "Good! Now stay put!"
- Sergeant Johnson (COM): "Hey, bastards. Knock knock!"
If the player turns back:
- Sergeant Johnson (COM): (unamused) "Ha ha, that's real funny. I'm still shootin'!"
The Scarab's cannon fires, destroying the Control Room's door. A hostile Phantom lands and deploys a Wraith beside the Scarab. 'Vadam destroys the Wraith and flies toward the Control Room. (If 'Vadamee does not have a Banshee than a friendly Sangheili will land one on the beach near the Scarab).
Delusions and Grandeur
- Jiralhanae #3: "Do not let the Arbiter into the chamber! The Chieftain must complete his holy work!"
(Alternatively, the Jiralhanae might say "them" instead of "the Arbiter")
'Vadam either kills the guards or sneaks past them, then heads into the main chamber of the Control Room.
- Tartarus: "Come, human, it is easy." (He tries to get Miranda to insert the Index) "Take the Icon in your hands... (growls impatiently) And do as you are told!"
He slams the Index on the console, which flashes red lights.
- Tartarus: "One more word, Oracle, and I'll rip your eye from its socket!" (he turns to Keyes, pushes her forward)
- Commander Keyes: (exhales sharply)
- Tartarus: (soft menacing growl) "Which is nothing compared to what I'll do to you." (Miranda grimaces defiantly)
Thel 'Vadam walks in.
- Thel 'Vadam: "Tartarus, stop."
- Tartarus: (gasps, jerks his neck up in surprise) "Impossible!"
- Thel 'Vadam: "Put down the Icon."
Tartarus turns to face 'Vadam.
- Tartarus: "Put it down? And disobey the Hierarchs?"
- Thel 'Vadam: "There are things about Halo even the Hierarchs do not understand."
Jiralhanae step forward menacingly, Tartarus stops them.
- Tartarus: "Take care, Arbiter. What you say is heresy!"
- Thel 'Vadam: "Is it? (gently) Oracle, what is Halo's purpose?"
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Collectively, the seven—"
Tartarus grabs 343 Guilty Spark and jerks him around.
- Tartarus: "Not another word!"
- Sergeant Johnson (off screen): "Please..."
Tartarus lowers 343 Guilty Spark to see Johnson standing next to 'Vadam. He holds a Beam Rifle and aims it directly at Tartarus.
- Sergeant Johnson: "Don't shake the light-bulb."
The Jiralhanae Captains growl and approach. Johnson raises the Beam Rifle to Tartarus' head.
- Sergeant Johnson: "If you wanna keep your brain inside your head, I'd tell those boys to chill."
Tartarus barks a command, and the Jiralhanae back off.
- Sergeant Johnson: (to 'Vadam) "Go ahead. Do your thing."
- Thel 'Vadam: (to Guilty Spark) "The Sacred Rings, what are they?"
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Weapons of last resort, built by the Forerunners to eliminate potential Flood hosts, thereby rendering the parasite harmless."
- Thel 'Vadam: "And those who made the rings? What happened to the Forerunners?"
- 343 Guilty Spark: "After exhausting every other strategic option, my creators activated the rings. They and all additional sentient life in three radii of the galactic center, died, as planned."
Close up on 'Vadam, he lowers his head in sadness. Johnson lowers his Beam Rifle and looks on to the disillusioned Arbiter in acknowledgement.
- 343 Guilty Spark: (slightly awkward) "Would you... like to see the relevant data?"
- Thel 'Vadam: (turns his attention back to Tartarus) "Tartarus. The Prophets have betrayed us."
Tartarus pauses, considering the Monitor's words, but quickly makes up his mind and throws 343 Guilty Spark at Johnson's head, knocking him down. He then grabs Keyes' hand and forces the Index into the console.
- Tartarus: "No, Arbiter! The Great Journey has begun. And the Brutes, not the Elites, shall be the Prophets' escort!"
Tartarus grabs his hammer as his energy shield turns on. Miranda jumps out of the way (In the Anniversary, Tartarus throws her aside).
The main platform at the center of the Control Room splits into three as Halo charges up, emitting a massive beam of energy.
Sangheili reinforcements show up and wipe out the Jiralhanae Captains. Tartarus jumps to the central platform. The Sangheili pursue him. Johnson hangs back, firing on Tartarus with his Beam Rifle. Commander Keyes stands on one of the rotating platforms, 343 Guilty Spark follows her.
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Charging sequence initiated. Primary generators coming online."
- Commander Keyes: "Well, shut them down!"
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Apology. Protocol does not allow me to interfere with any aspect of this sequence."
- Commander Keyes: "Then how do I stop it?"
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Well, it will take some time to go over the proper procedures, I—"
- Commander Keyes: "Quit stalling!"
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Under more controlled circumstances, I would suggest the Reclaimer simply remove the Index."
- Commander Keyes: "That's it? Johnson, I'm on it!"
- Sergeant Johnson: "Hang tight, ma'am! Not until that Brute is dead! (when knocking off Tartarus' shield for the first time) Hey, Mohawk! How'd that feel?"
If the player stalls:
- Tartarus: "You want revenge? Well, here I am. Come and take it!"
- Tartarus: "What's the matter, Arbiter? Afraid of my little hammer?"
- Tartarus: "Beneath that fancy armor, you're nothing but a coward!"
If the player further stalls:
- Tartarus: "Just like the rest of your race, cowardly and weak!"
After the Arbiter scores a hit on Tartarus for the first time, Tartarus slams his hammer on the ground.
- Tartarus: "A lucky hit. You shall not land another."
- Sergeant Johnson: (when knocking off Tartarus' shield for the second time) "His shield is down, let 'em have it!"
If the fight goes on long enough, Guilty Spark and Keyes will continue to argue:
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Secondary generators charging. All systems are performing well within operational parameters."
- Commander Keyes: "You're telling me that you can't stop the sequence?"
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Reclaimer, please understand that interrupting the wave generation process will severely damage this installation."
- Commander Keyes: "Give me a direct answer!"
- 343 Guilty Spark: "I am but a Monitor. The Reclaimer can do as it likes."
- Sergeant Johnson: (knocking down Tartarus' shield for the third time) "There goes his shield!"
Johnson knocks down Tartarus' shield for the fourth time:
- Sergeant Johnson: "Got his shield! Hit him now!"
Johnson knocks down Tartarus' shield for the fifth time:
- Sergeant Johnson: "Quick while his shield is down!"
The fight continues:
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Power generation phase complete. The installation is ready to fire. Starting final countdown."
- Sergeant Johnson: "Come on, Arbiter! Kick that guy's ass!"
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Firing sequence initiated. And may I say, Reclaimers, it has been a pleasure to serve you both. Goodbye."
- Sergeant Johnson: "I can keep his shield down, but you've gotta finish the job!"
After a long battle, 'Vadam finally kills Tartarus.
Keyes jumps onto a rotating platform, ducks to avoid one of the other platforms passing right above her, jumps onto the main platform, and grabs the Index. The entire room shakes, making Miranda hold the Index up to her chest in fear.
Cut to exterior of Control Room. All the built up energy fires into space.
Cut to Halo's exterior, a large pulsing ball of energy is being formed in the center, the shot from the Control Room reaches it, the ball glows, explodes, then dissipates.
Cut to interior of Control Room, which seems to be running on emergency power, as many of the lights are dimmed or not functioning. Keyes stands in front of a holographic depiction, Johnson rides 343 Guilty Spark to her.
- Commander Keyes: "What's that?"
- 343 Guilty Spark: "A beacon."
- Commander Keyes: "What's it doing?"
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Communicating. At superluminal speeds with a frequency of—"
- Commander Keyes: "Communicating with what?"
- 343 Guilty Spark: (a bit surprised) "The... other installations."
- Commander Keyes: "Show me."
- 343 Guilty Spark: "Fail-safe protocol: In the event of unexpected shutdown, the entire system will move to standby status. All remaining platforms are now ready for remote activation."
- Commander Keyes: "Remote activation? From here?"
- 343 Guilty Spark: (patronizing) "Don't be ridiculous."
Keyes puts a hand on his shoulder.
- Commander Keyes: "Then where? Where would someone go to activate the other rings?"
343 Guilty Spark is truly baffled by the humans' supposed ignorance.
- 343 Guilty Spark: "...Why, the Ark, of course."
'Vadam comes up behind Johnson and Miranda Keyes.
- Thel 'Vadam: "And where, Oracle, is that?"
Fade to black.
- Officer (COM): "We've got a new contact, unknown classification!"
- Lord Hood (COM): "It isn't one of ours, take it out."
- John-117: "This is SPARTAN-117."
Cut to Cairo Station's bridge, everything looks damaged. (In the Anniversary version, the bridge is intact and Lord Hood stands at the main display screen as station personnel scramble to their stations.)
- John-117 (COM): "Can anyone hear me? Over."
- Lord Hood: (to officer) "Isolate that signal! Master Chief? You mind telling me what you're doing on that ship?"
Cut to Master Chief.
- John-117: "Sir. Finishing this fight."
Fades to black.
Fades in on the Flood-infested High Charity.
Cut to a damaged door that keeps trying to close, Gravemind's tentacles creep through.
- Gravemind: "Silence fills the empty grave, now that I have gone."
Cuts to the Council Chamber, Gravemind's tentacles reach across.
- Gravemind: "But my mind is not at rest, for questions linger on. I will ask, and you will answer."
Cortana's hologram appears, she holds up her hand, the tentacles stop and move off.
Close-up on Cortana's face
- Cortana: "All right... shoot."
Fades to black.
Friend or Foe? (Anniversary Epilogue)
- Sangheili (loudspeaker): "Arbiter, we are nearing the target."
'Vadam turns to his Sangheili Majors.
- Thel 'Vadam: "Prepare for action."
The Majors growl and raise their plasma rifles. Cut to Locke, who nods at other members of Fireteam Osiris: Holly Tanaka, Edward Buck, and Olympia Vale. The Spartan-IVs turn around to face the Lich's door. 'Vadam and his Majors join them.
- Thel 'Vadam: "What do you call him, Spartan Locke?"
- Jameson Locke: "I don't understand the question."
- Thel 'Vadam: "One-one-seven. The Master Chief. He is not your friend. Is he your foe?"
Locke turns to 'Vadam.
- Locke: "He's gone AWOL and the UNSC want him back. I'm going to bring him home."
The two of them look at the door in front them.
- Thel 'Vadam: "I admire your sense of duty, Spartan."
The Lich's door slowly opens.
- Unknown Sangheili (COM): "Covenant forces incoming."
- Thel 'Vadam: "But if he has left the fold, he has his reasons."
- Unknown Sangheili (COM): "Glory to the Arbiter!"
- Locke: "I'm sure he does, Arbiter, and I intend to find out what they are."
Locke cocks his battle rifle. Cut to the outside of the Lich's door as it fully opens. Locke takes aim and 'Vadam activates his energy sword. Cut to black.
- Main article: Glitches
- The Great Journey Vacation can be done on this level.
- If a Brute tries to board Rtas 'Vadum's Wraith, he will never succeed as 'Vadum is invincible.
- It is possible to get Rtas 'Vadum and the other Elite to enter the "Bastion of the Brutes" with the player. Get Rtas 'Vadum and the Elite into the Spectre and drive it into the building then get them out. They will usually follow the player, though this could take a few tries.
- If the player manages to lead the first two Hunters to the prison room, the captured Hunters will not be present. However, if the player frees the second pair of Hunter and then returns to the exterior bridge to recruit the first pair of Hunters, the player will have four Hunters accompanying him/her. This trick is particularly useful on Legendary.
- It is possible to swap weapons with the Elite Councilors while they are still in their cells and behind the energy barrier.
- If the player manages to bring a Spectre into the Control Room, he/she can get Johnson to ride onto it. If the player drives it away towards the entrance and come back, there will be another Johnson in his place. Using this glitch, there can be up to four Johnsons (3 on the Spectre, 1 on the ledge) helping the player for the mission which can be useful for taking out Tartarus' shields.
- The player can jump to the platform where Miranda Keyes is standing and stick her with a plasma grenade. She should run to the platform where Tartarus is. This may take some tries. Tartarus will then attack Keyes repeatedly and she cannot die. Tartarus will be distracted and won't respond to any attacks except melees.
- It is possible to get a Banshee into the spot where Tartarus is fought. The player can do so by shooting off the Banshee's wings and flying into the Control Room. When the cutscene begins, the player will be ejected out of the Banshee, but the Banshee will stay there after the cutscene, allowing the player to kill Tartarus easier. This can also be done without destroying the wings and going through the building to get to the control room. To save time, wait for Johnson to blow open the door. Afterward, fly the Banshee around the left side of the tower (near the door, on the player's right), and the Banshee will be there after the cutscene.
- If the player lures Tartarus to jump off the central platform, Tartarus will be heard screaming as he falls through the death barrier, but will be sent up through the improvised gravity lift.
- At the start of the fight with Tartarus, Commander Keyes can be seen at the player's left, on the death barrier, but she cannot die. She will stay there for a while and later will appear next to the Monitor.
- If the player walks up to Banks and Stacker, they will greet the Arbiter as if he were the Master Chief. This also occurs when the player boards the Scarab and meets with Johnson, and again when they go near Miranda Keyes in the Halo's Control Room.
- In the cutscene in which the Arbiter talks to Johnson, the Arbiter is holding his primary weapon in his right hand, but when the scene switches to the Scarab's interior, the Arbiter is holding it in the left hand.
- In the first shot of the cutscene in which the Tartarus is attempting to force Miranda Keyes to activate Halo, there are three Brute Captains. However, when the Arbiter shows up, there are four Captains. It is possible that one was patrolling the central platform and joined the Brutes when the Arbiter reveals his presence.
- If the player crouches in the lowest level of the Control Room's central platform, he/she will hit the death barrier and die immediately.
- Brutes can be seen piloting Heretic Banshees even when they are not Heretics.
- Brutes driving ghosts at the beginning of the level will drop Elite plamsa rifles instead of Brute plasma rifles when killed.
- Main article: Easter Eggs
- The Black Eye Skull can be found on this level.
- On top of the control room's spire is the word "REX" splattered in blood.
- There is a Heretic Banshee on this level. It will spawn near the cliff where the level starts off if no vehicles are used to reach the Control Room. The player can then use it after "Backseat Driver" begins.
- During the game's development, this level was known as deltacontrol.
- This is the only level in the Halo trilogy in which a pair of Hunters are the player's allies.
- This is technically the first level in which the Elites and the UNSC fight alongside each other, and the only level in Halo 2 in which they do, though very briefly.
- It is interesting to note that on Installation 04, the Control Room was in a temple in a snowy valley, but on Installation 05, it is in a structure in the ocean near the beach, seemingly complete opposites of each other.
- It is impossible to drive Rtas 'Vadum's Wraith on Legendary, as he will refuse to exit it.
- The beginning portion of the level is extremely similar in design to the Assault On The Control Room in which the player has to fight through a canyon with a group of surviving allies to take control of a structure.
- This level is ironic in that, being the last level the player plays as the Arbiter, the Arbiter is trying to convince Tartarus about Halo's true purpose, when the Arbiter had killed the Heretic leader for trying to say the same things in the second level where the player takes control of the Arbiter.
- It is possible to go through the "Bastion of the Brutes" with a Ghost.
- The Forerunner structure encountered by the unmanned Scarab is designed with almost the exact same architecture as the entrance of Alpha Halo's Cartographer.
- When Johnson commandeers the Scarab, it starts moving even before he is able to go to the controls; he's only at the leg. This is to prevent the player from boarding the Scarab, though it is possible to without the Banshee from Backseat Driver. When the player meets Johnson, he mistakes the Arbiter as Master Chief, as it was never intended for the Arbiter to actually interact with a human.
- Boarding the Scarab is much easier with a Ghost, as it is fast enough to zip right in front of the Scarab and give the player ample time to get out and jump on the Scarab.
- Originally, the Backseat Driver cutscene involves the Arbiter fighting the Brutes hand-to-hand, but was removed for unknown reasons.
- Sergeant Banks and Sergeant Stacker will disappear right after the Backseat Driver cutscene. They probably entered the Scarab with Johnson.
- When escorting the Scarab, the player can get his/her Banshee stuck in the Scarab, and since the Scarab is invincible, the player doesn't actually have to defend it. However, if the player simply leaves the Banshee on top the Scarab, it may fall off.
- If a Brute pilot of a Banshee is taken out of from his Banshee, he will be unarmed and will not attack the player even if the player approaches him. He will walk towards a Banshee and get in if one is nearby. It should be noted that if the other Brute (in a Banshee or not) is killed near the first one, the first Brute will go berserk.
- If the player flies to Johnson's Scarab and lose his/her Banshee, towards the end more and more Brute Banshees will strafe toward the Scarab. They will fly very close, allowing the player to hijack one and fly to the control room. This is to prevent players from getting stuck on the Scarab.
- Once the waves of Elites during the Control Room battle run out, Sergeant Johnson will shoot faster.
- The player can use their own Particle Beam Rifle to lower Tartarus' shields, however, they will only be able to do so if they are on the same platform as Tartarus. Thus, the player cannot simply snipe Tartarus from a safe distance.
- If the player parks a Banshee in the place that Miranda Keyes is running across to get the Icon, she will run through the Banshee during the cutscene.
- If the player kills Tartarus while leaving a few of his Brutes alive, the cutscene will still progress but Brutes will be present, not attacking the main characters at all. This can also be seen with Elites and other objects.
- The last sentence said by the Master Chief inspired Halo 3's tagline: "Finish the Fight".
- This is the last level in the Halo trilogy in which you don't play as John-117. It is also the last level (excluding Halo 3 Co-op) in which you play as Thel 'Vadam.
Halo entering emergency standby, ready to fire from the Ark.
Halo 2 Anniversary
|Halo 2 Campaign Missions
The Great Journey
| Succeeded by|
Halo 2 Credits