Squad Battle is a ranked 6v6 playlist designed to fill some of the void left by excising Ranked Big Team Battle. Squad Battle gametypes are focused on Slayer, Assault and Capture the Flag. It was added to the ranked playlists on September 23rd, when the TU2 update was released, but was later removed.
 Maps Played in Squad Battle
Since there will not be more than 12 players in a game, a few new medium-sized maps have been added into the playlist. Where else the normal large-sized Big Team maps still remain. Here are the maps that can be found when playing in the playlist:
- High Ground
- Last Resort
- Sandtrap Heavy - Variant of Sandtrap with liberal use of heavy weapons and vehicles.
- SAND TARP - Variant of Sandtrap with Elephants removed and team spawns switched.
- Valhalla Covies - Item tweaks emphasize Covenant vehicles and weaponry. Skipped after veto.
- Valhalla Heavy - Variant of Valhalla with liberal use of heavy weapons and vehicles.
- Rat's Nest - Part of the Heroic Map Pack.
- Standoff - Part of the Heroic Map Pack.
- Avalanche - Part of the Legendary Map Pack.
- Avalanche Heavy- Liberal use of heavy weapons and vehicles.
- Ghost Town - Part of the Legendary Map Pack.
- Eighty Grit - Skips after veto. Community Sandbox variant by Tesai.
- Workplace Bravo - Skips after veto. Community Sandbox variant by JoeSki73
- Longshore - Available on the Halo 3: Mythic disk.
 Gametypes Played in Squad Battle
- Big Team Slayer (64.4% chance of being selected) - Score points by killing players on the opposing team. First team to 100 points wins. Players spawn with Battle Rifles and Assault Rifles. 15 minute match time limit.
- Multi-Flag CTF (13.0%) - Players attempt to capture the opposing team's flag. First team to three captures wins. Players spawn with Battle Rifles and Assault Rifles. 20 minute match time limit.
- One Flag CTF (17.1%) - Round-based Capture the Flag, where one team attempts to capture a flag while the other team defends it. Most captures after four rounds wins. Players spawn with Battle Rifles and Assault Rifles. Four minute match time limit.
- Neutral Bomb Assault (5.6%) - Teams vie over a single bomb, scoring points by detonating the bomb in the opposing team's base. First team to three detonations wins. Players spawn with Battle Rifles and Assault Rifles. 20 minute match time limit.
- Squad Battle is seen by some as the spiritual successor to a retired DLC playlist, DLC Objective, which is also mostly a 6 vs 6 game, but all are objectives.
- Squad Battle is one of the playlists that were deleted from Halo 3 Matchmaking before Halo Reach came out, along with MLG FFA, and many others.