|This page is an official Halopedia policy|
Please read through the policy below to familiarize yourself with our common practices and rules.
If you have any questions, suggestions, or complaints, please post them on the talk page.
|Policies of Halopedia|
|Canon • Notability • Spoilers|
|Blocking • Signature • Voting|
|Manual of Style • Layout Guide • Referencing • About Vandalism • Dealing Vandalism|
This page details the wiki's policy for images. Like most wikis, Halopedia allows users to upload images for use on articles and user pages.
Uploading images can be done at the Upload file page. How to do this can be found at the Image help section. However, some images are subject to immediate deletion if they fall within the following grounds for deletion.
- First and foremost, the image to be uploaded must comply with US copyright laws. A violation of this warrants deletion.
- Official images should be used for articles: images with custom content are not allowed in articles unless it can be shown to serve a particular purpose.
- Filenames for images must be sufficiently brief and simple. It should provide the source of the image along with a short, simple description of what the image covers.
- Filename format:
File:<SOURCE OF IMAGE> <DESCRIPTION>.jpg
- For example, you have an image of Thom-293 from Deliver Hope trailer. The filename should be
File:DeliverHope - Thom.jpg. A Dash (
-) is optional. For longer filenames, abbreviations are recommended.
- Filename format:
- Images that were previously intended to be used for userpages/personal use but have not been in used for quite some time are subjected to be deleted by the administration. As such, no notice will be given to the uploader.
- Leaked images are to be deleted and uploaders will be subjected to Halopedia's Blocking Policy.
- Preferred filetypes are PNG for transparent images and JPG for normal-everyday images. GIFs are to be used sparingly unless it can be shown to be necessary to serve a particular purpose.
Grounds for deletion
An image uploaded to Halopedia can be deleted if it falls within any of the following:
- Obscene: Halopedia is not a censored website, and the target audience for the Halo universe is 17 years and above. However, all images that contain obscenities such as pornography, graphic real-world violence, or sexual acts are not permissible on the site, or on userpages. The developers of Halo do not produce such images, and thus they have no place on the site. These images also have great potential to offend other users. Repeatedly uploading such images can be grounds for blocking for vandalism as part of Halopedia's Blocking Policy.
- Unused: Halopedia is not a repository for images that are unrelated to Halo and unusable on article pages. Images that are uploaded by users for individual userpages will be added to their userpage and organized into an Image Category for proper use. If an image is not related to Halo whatsoever, is then uploaded and not used, it will be deleted.
- Duplicate: Halopedia's image categories were created and organized so that users could find desired images relatively quickly and so that duplicate images are not uploaded. Though Halopedia has unlimited space for images and articles, duplicate images create confusion and make organization difficult. Duplicate images that are uploaded will be deleted and redirected to the original image.
- Copyright violations: Material copied from sources that are not public domain or compatibly licensed without the permission of the copyright holder (unless brief quotation used in accordance with non-free content policy and guideline) is likely to be a copyright violation. For more information about copyright, visit Halopedia:Copyright.