Infinity Briefing Packet
The Infinity Briefing Packet is a booklet handed out to SPARTAN-IV personnel upon assignment to UNSC Infinity. This page describes the briefing packet received by Spartan Gabriel Thorne on February 6, 2558. Thorne wrote a journal entry to the last page of the booklet, describing his thoughts on his new status as a Spartan and the little history the supersoldiers had.
- Formal welcome by Infinity Spartan Commander, Sarah Palmer (accompanied by an informal, handwritten note by Palmer on the preceding page)
- UNSC Infinity schematic and information
- Aft Armory Notice with basic information on several weapons (MA5D assault rifle, BR85HB battle rifle, ARC-920 railgun, M739 SAW, M395 DMR, SRS99-S5 AM sniper rifle, M363 sticky detonator)
- Instructions for Spartan-IVs aboard Infinity by Chief Mechanized Repair Officer Gordon Kushner
- Spartan Specialist recruitment briefing by Commander Palmer
- Ship R&R opportunity schedule
- Gabriel Thorne's journal entry
- Briefing sheet for one of the Spartan missions on Requiem; either Operation: CHATTERBOX, THREE-CARD MONTE, LAND GRAB, ACADEMIC or ALL-SEEING EYE.[note 1]
- Restricted ONI message from Margaret Parangosky to Dr. Catherine Halsey, found on Infinity intraship network by Spartan Hoya
- War Games session summary
- Gabriel Thorne's MJOLNIR GEN2 requisition sheet
FROM THE DESK OF CHIEF MECHANIZED REPAIR OFFICER GORDON KUSHNER, UNSC INFINITY
All Spartan-IV-class operatives must take the following measures in order to maintain their bodies' healthfulness following their participation in the Spartan-IV Augmentation Program:
SHIP R&R OPPORTUNITY SCHEDULE
Greetings, all Infinity crew members! The following dates are a great time for you to plan your R&R. Please clear all requests for time off with your supervising officers at least 14 days in advance. Note that all events are subject to change should Infinity's operations require.
|FEB 2|| Join the Infinity 5k charity fun run for Earth-based personnel. Jog from stem to stern of the UNSC's flagship.|
[Attention Spartans - no armor during the fun run!]
|FEB 9||UNSC Infinity Poker Night! Tickets for Poker Night are on sale now in all Mess Halls or via Infinity's Waypoint intranet. This month's Grand Prize: priority seating on all intra-ship shuttlecraft and trains.|
|FEB 14||Atrium Park Valentine's Dance. Start time: 2015 hours. [Please note, all UNSC Personal Relationship Forms should be filed with your senior officer prior to attendance.]|
|FEB 18||Saturday Night (Cage) Fight! Infinity crew members put their pugilistic skills to the rest. BONUS! Spartans from Sydney Team participate in an ancient "cage match" martial arts battle with no holds barred!|
|FEB 21||Infinity Day. Come mark the anniversary of Infinity's christening for service as the flagship of the UNSC. Festivities include a speech from the captain and Infinity-themed cupcakes.|
|FEB 25||Chili Cook-Off! This event will be held in Forward Mess Hall. To enter, contract Master Chef Jonathan Lowell. To attend as a taster, pick up your tickets any time before February 25!|
Thorne's journal entry
Feb 6 '58
I’m a Spartan now, after months of surgery and training just so I could survive using the armor. So here I am, sitting on Infinity, sore as hell from the War Games runs today. Commander Palmer says we’re on the line at 0500, but wouldn't say what to expect. I learned in the Army that when somebody high up wants you ready, but won’t tell you why, it means a fight is coming. I was reading up on how, 500 years ago, a military group called the “Air Force” split off the Army to form its own branch. It got me thinking about how little Spartan history there is. I can tell you that Carl Spaatz was the Air Force’s first Chief of Staff. But when I try to find out where 117 came from, there’s nothing. Not his real name, or how he trained. I can’t even find out for sure if there were other S-IIs. Some say there were, but others say the Master Chief was the only one. It’s almost as hard to piece together the story of the Spartan-IIIs—just a few mentions from around when the Covenant hit Reach. Us, though, the Spartan-IVs - we’re official as can be. Like with Infinity, the UNSC press corps can’t enough of talking about how we’re the best of the best. But even then, there are rumors. Where we’re stationed. How we’re recruiting more to build our forces. Maybe someday, when I’m retired, I’ll tell the real story of the Spartan-IVs. And I’ll tell everyone how damn proud I felt tonight, here, on Infinity.
- A real-world facsimile of the Infinity Briefing Packet was included in the Halo 4 Limited Edition, similar to Dr. Halsey's personal journal that shipped with the special editions of Halo: Reach.
- In his journal entry, Thorne writes about the United States Air Force in a manner that suggests he is unfamiliar with the concept of such an armed service, even though the UNSC maintains a branch of the same name. However, he may be writing from a nostalgic point of view (reflecting on the USAF's influence on the UNSC Air Force) given how his comments on the Air Force contrast with his remarks about the Spartans. His uncertainty about whether John-117 was the only SPARTAN-II is harder to justify in light of ONI Section II's promotion of the SPARTAN-IIs' existence beginning in 2547; however, he may have mistaken the other SPARTAN-IIs for SPARTAN-IIIs as the latter often allowed credit for their actions to pass to their publicly avowed counterparts for the sake of secrecy.[verification needed]
- ^ The different mission briefings are randomly distributed to the Halo 4 Limited Edition boxes.