Dome of Light
|Dome of Light|
|Halopedia has a walkthrough guide to this level, Dome of Light. See Dome of Light/Walkthrough.|
|“||Uncover what the Covenant were after on Arcadia.||”|
Dome of Light is the sixth campaign level of the real-time strategy game, Halo Wars. The level involves breaking through a giant, dome-shaped Covenant Energy Shield to discover what lies within. The main objective of the mission is to escort the Rhino tanks to the marked points around the map, defended by the Covenant, after which Serina will fire all tanks on the same point of the energy shield to break through it. The mission initially involves placing three Rhinos at the marked points but after a failed attack on the shield two more points are selected for Rhinos to be placed at. After the energy shield is broken through, the player is then given 40 MAC shots to destroy the Covenant base within and complete the mission. This is another level in which the player is aided by computer-controlled units.
The UNSC Spirit of Fire is seen floating in space.
- Captain James Gregory Cutter: "So...it's an energy shield that they can deploy on the planet?"
In the bridge, Captain Cutter and Ellen Anders are standing around the central holo-table, which shows a large holographic dome, with red dots floating above and around it. One of the red dots enters the dome. Sergeant John Forge is standing behind Cutter.
- Professor Ellen Anders: "Yes, Captain. We can't see through it, but the Covenant are up to something."
- Cutter: "Agreed, we need to find out what that is, can we use the ship's cannons and take it out directly?"
- Anders: "We may destroy whatever's under there. Covenant shield technology is susceptible to superheated plasma."
On the holo-table, holograms of three boxes appear outside the dome, and begins to discharge large beams on to the dome. The dome hologram disintegrates after a few seconds.
- Anders: "Aren't we field testing some plasma-based Rhinos?"
- Serina: "Pillar of Autumn inventory shows they have some prototypes."
- Anders: "It might take some time to get the right power settings. I'll need to be on the ground to do that."
- Cutter: "Professor, Sergeant Forge, let's get that shield down!"
- Sergeant John Forge: "Ugh, babysitting again?"
Anders turns and gives Forge a quick smile.
Cuts to the Arcadia ONI facility. Anders is in a tower next to the UNSC Fortress. A Rhino moves away from the base and heads for the firing position.
- Forge (COM): "Well, this little field trip is a bust! Anders, is there anything out here except for that big alien dome thing?"
- Anders (COM): "Scans seem clear, shall we see what's inside?"
The Rhino approaches firing position and opens fire, hitting the dome shield, which shows barely any reaction. Covenant air units emerge from the dome and attack the Rhino.
- Forge (COM): "Looks like we only shook the beehive, we got multiple bogeys inbound!"
The Banshees destroy the Rhino as Spirit dropships approach the UNSC base.
Red Team, Marines, and Forge's Warthog fend off the Covenant troops.
- Forge (COM): "Any more bright ideas, Anders?"
- Anders (COM): "Data from the shelling proved we're on the right track, but we'll need to simultaneously launch from multiple Rhinos."
When a Rhino is requested at the landing pad:
- UNSC Pillar of Autumn Operator (COM): "Harvest Surface Command, Pillar of Autumn. Request for plasma Rhino is approved. Rhino inbound."
- UNSC Pillar of Autumn Operator (COM): "Rhino LRA plasma augment, on its way."
- UNSC Pillar of Autumn Operator (COM): "Plasma rhino request acknowledge."
- UNSC Pillar of Autumn Operator (COM): "We will have the Rhino down in no time."
- UNSC Pillar of Autumn Operator (COM): "Request for plasma Rhino received, it's en route."
A Pelican arrives and deploys a Rhino.
- Anders (COM): "The Rhino has arrived, get it to Position One."
The Rhino gets to its position.
- Anders (COM): "I'll take control of that Rhino to calibrate the shots."
- Forge (COM): "Rhinos are expensive, I've called for some ODSTs to protect this one."
ODSTs arrive in SOEIVs, and hold position next to the Rhino.
- Anders (COM): "I've marked Second Position, request another Rhino and get it to that site."
The mark appears on map. Two Covenant Halls occupy that location.
- Forge (COM): "Oh, perfect! There's a stinkin' Covenant outpost right where you marked! We'd better take that out first."
- Forge (COM): "We should take out those Covenant buildings that are reinforcing their position."
The UNSC forces destroy the Covenant Halls.
- Forge (COM): "The area's secure, get a Rhino in place!"
The second Rhino is deployed at the landing pad, and reaches the second position. More ODSTs arrive and hold position next to it.
- Anders (COM): "Rhinos are in position and ready to fire, firing Rhinos in three, two, one..."
The Rhinos fire at the energy dome, but to little effect.
- Forge (COM): "Not much effect, but it looks like we're makin' some progress."
- Anders (COM): "I've marked the third position."
The third Rhino arrives at the air pad.
- Forge (COM): "We're gonna need a transport to get the Rhino to that position."
A Pelican lands and picks up the Rhino, transporting it to the third position, which is also defended by the Covenant. The third Rhino reaches its marked position.
With the combined fire from all three plasma Rhinos, the shield dome begins to falter. A pair of Locusts appear on the far side of the ONI base.
- Forge (COM): "Holy hell, they have Locusts!"
- Anders (COM): "Hmm, my calculations show that two more Rhinos will be necessary to open up a hole big enough. The final two positions have been marked."
- Forge (COM): "The Covenant must have figured out what we're doing, we're going to need a larger force to take those locations."
The UNSC forces eliminate the Covenant at the fourth position, and the fourth Rhino gets to the marked position.
- Anders (COM): "Only one more Rhino to get into position."
The UNSC forces clears the fifth position, and the fifth Rhino arrives at its marked position.
- Anders (COM): "Crossing fingers! Firing all Rhinos in three, two, one..."
The Rhinos fire. A section of the dome shield falters and opens up.
- Anders (COM): "The dome power supply is overloaded, we got it!"
Screen changes to the MAC reticule.
- Serina: "MAC is coming online, single turret available."
- Forge (COM): "Alright, the dome generators and the air defenses are the main targets. Light 'em up!"
MAC opens up. After a few rounds, Serina takes charge.
- Serina: "MAC fully online, all rounds loaded, I'll take out the remaining structures."
The Covenant structures exposed under the dome's faltered section are destroyed.
- Forge (COM): "Nice work. Let's get down there and see what the Covenant found so damn interesting."
- If the player sends a captured Banshee toward the energy shield, the Banshee will immediately self-destruct and the Spartan will fall to the ground. The Spartan will then respawn by the UNSC base.
- When a Rhino is requested, sometimes the Pelican pilot refers to the ground team as Harvest Surface Command. This may have been an oversight by the developers, as this level takes place on Arcadia. However, it is possible that the Spirit of Fire was still officially assigned to Harvest.
- The ODST squads that are sent to guard the first Rhino each have two medics instead of one.
- The shield dome for which this level is named is very similar to the Covenant spires seen in Halo: Reach.
|Halo Wars Campaign Missions
Dome of Light
| Succeeded by|