Basic Training is a Matchmaking Playlist that is only available to new players with the rank of Recruit on Xbox Live in Halo 3. The gametype is similar to that of Lone Wolves or Rumble Pit and is not team based. Its possible to have guests on this playlist, but there are still no teams. This gametype serves as an introduction to Xbox Live play and the basics of multiplayer. The Basic Training playlist is inaccessible once the player has reached 5 experience points or has completed ten games.
 Maps Played in Basic Training
 Gametypes Played in Basic Training
- Slayer (100%) - 25 Kills to win. Assault Rifle starts, no secondary weapon. Map traits: No power weapons, no vehicles. 15 minute match time limit.
- Since most players in this playlist are new, Battle Rifles, Maulers and Carbines are the most useful weapons against them if you're an expert or just skilled with these weapons.
- On Snowbound, where the Maulers spawn, an effective method is get a Mauler and hide in one of the bases, near the shield doors, move about a little, and once you see an enemy on your motion sensor approaching you, and once they pass through the shield doors, finish them off with the Mauler-Melee Combo.
- On Guardian, if you can get a Plasma Rifle and an SMG, you can easily take down their shields for an easy kill.
- On Snowbound, the Brute Shot is a useful weapon as it is the strongest weapon on the map.
- Some players create new accounts, allowing access to this playlist. This allows an easy way to get difficult medals like Perfections and Untouchables.
- To balance the maps out, powerful weapons originally on the maps, like the Shotgun, are replaced by Assault Rifles and Battle Rifles so as to prevent new players from getting killed off so easily.