The barrier functions similarly to a large shield door, and bears a resemblance to the Deployable Cover equipment. It was first seen in use during the Harvest Campaign, and several variants later used in 2552 during the Battle of Mombasa and on the Tsavo Highway to prevent UNSC forces from reaching Voi. The barriers seen in Mombasa were apparently a more advanced iteration of the technology, featuring a fully protected power source and not allowing enemy infantry to pass through. The power sources of the barriers are sometimes protected by additional sets of roadblocks.
- It is only effective in halting vehicles and projectiles; a soldier on foot can traverse it harmlessly.
- It can be taken down by explosions near the shield generator on the side opposite the generator.
- In Halo 3, the shield barrier can sometimes be destroyed from the outside by explosives. The shield is not scripted to block the splash damage of explosives, therefore the generator is vulnerable. This can be especially helpful on higher difficulties, as the player can destroy the shield from a distance without having to engage multiple Brutes in close quarters. It may also be destroyed by ramming the generation point hard enough with a vehicle; it is possible that minor splash damage occurs upon the crash, thus destroying the barrier.
List of appearances
- ^ Halo Wars, campaign level, Relic Approach
- ^ a b Halo 3, campaign level, Tsavo Highway
- ^ Halo 3: ODST, campaign level, Mombasa Streets